Jam In The Van

Started by black stallion, February 09, 2017, 01:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Schuller

Quote from: Buttcakefred on February 10, 2017, 04:31:28 AM
I'm sure McDonald is a nice guy but his moves just come off as goofy to me.

As goofy as say....

Buzz's Hair?
Buzz's Mumu?
Dale's Neglige?
Jared's Costumery?
Countless Melvins Album Covers, Album Names, Song Names, Song Content, T-Shirts, Stickers and other merch?
How the Melvins often act in interviews?
The band name MELVINS?

C'mon - this is MELVINS - do NOT take them so seriously. They don't.

Mount Ambulance

Serious? Nah, but I never really found 'em goofy ... well maybe Jared yeah sure. Melvins always struck me as absurdist/demented rather than goofy. Steven is goofy ... fucking goofy even ... sometimes it fits but others (say Hag Me) not as much ... and its' constant ... constant goofiness wears a little thin after a while ... a little goofiness goes a long way. That being said, great bassist and on a musical level a fine addition to the fold ... I dig his background yelps and screams alot.

Quote from: DCGOD on February 10, 2017, 02:22:49 PM
Steven is so on his game, easily the best bass player since Mark D.

You forgetting 'bout that guy Corny Ass Joker I think?

Also, some weird overtones during Hag Me (0:46/1:06/1:27/2:10/3:11/3:31 etc.) almost bell or gong like ... can't figure out where its coming from ... guitar, bass, drums? Whatever, that shit sound freaking great!

As for the SG ... I think you guys hear alot with your eyes. Any guitarist worth their salt can get their tone outta pretty much any set up ... sure gear (gits, amps, effects) can help ya get there to a degree and add some subtle degrees that may be utilized and tweaked ... head, heart, hands ... that's where tone truly is. That being said Sg's are too super cool and Buzz should play them more. If anything I think amps are the biggest variable ... I always dug seeing Buzz kick it outta a silverface ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppLRUHb_tOc
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

Captain CoryCory

Finally got around to watching this today and now for the second time.

This is sooooo good despite the guitar tone feeling somewhat thin. Dale's intros and Steven's charisma really take the cake though!

DCGOD

McDonald probably can't help it, he's been in a band since 8th grade (now 49) and then there's all that silver paint (the best btw) he huffed with his brother. :D

Mount Ambulance

Yeah, I just re-watched Hag Me after a fatty and it (the goofiness of Steven) does add a weirdly lysergic and/or drunk on silver kinda queasy to the whole affair ... especially the way it's filmed w/ Steven as an in and out of focus kinda foil to Buzz.
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

homeless_dad

I hope Steve sticks around for a while.  I totally dig his shtick.  Goofy or whatever you want to call it, he's fun to watch.  And no more goofy than 'ol swivel hips.
Is Ian back yet??

))))((((

Quote from: Mount Ambulance on February 11, 2017, 04:34:45 PM
Steven is goofy ... fucking goofy even ... sometimes it fits but others (say Hag Me) not as much ... and its' constant ... constant goofiness wears a little thin after a while ... a little goofiness goes a long way. That being said, great bassist and on a musical level a fine addition to the fold
Totally how i see it too. Interestingly i think he tends not to b as goofy when he was with Off! Although i guess it is the addition of his own mic in Melvins that contributes to it.

the bloat

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but it looks like you can download the 3 tracks if you set up an account. http://www.jaminthevan.com/band/the-melvins/

'Deuce' is a Tuft cover?

lust

I wasn't fond of Steve at first but he's growing on me.
I'm just some punk teenager.

last.fm/user/qingyuuu