Pinkus Abortion Technician

Started by ))))((((, February 12, 2018, 11:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

linoleum blownapart

If you take out the live albums, compilations like Melvinmania, and things like Chicken Switch, they have put out even less true albums.  Are they busy, yes, but are they that busy, I don't think so.

Funny to hear the complaints on graveyard.  I always liked the quaalude version.  I'm probably one of the biggest Butthole Surfer fans, but I'm not bitching about Buzzo skipping words in both songs.  They are on par with all of the covers they have done.  Shit they even made up funny words to Stop, which were pretty true...most people NEVER even heard of Stop, the James Gang <been a fan since I was a kid due to my sisters and their boyfriends>, much less the original.  At least it is not that gawd awful Gibby/Flaming Lips Smoke on the Water.

Glen is right: beauty is as always in the ear of the beholder
thrower of the bong water balloons

deatheats

Finally got a few spins in over the weekend!

I would say the only one I haven't really gotten into yet is Break Bread...
Pretty solid album back to front though, Buzz & Dale have to be some of the best collaborators in the business, I love how their work changes depending on who they are playing with!

GrimReaper

Could you imagine if H.A.T. was released in the age of Facebook? Anti-Vermin Seed would be vilified and praised ad nauseum.

I think the discussions are great, and the opinions on P.A.T. all have merit. For me, I'm just going to enjoy it, and be excited about the tour. 

Bigval

Quote from: GrimReaper on April 23, 2018, 07:19:47 PM
Could you imagine if H.A.T. was released in the age of Facebook? Anti-Vermin Seed would be vilified and praised ad nauseum.

Sure rather than pass in the night with not many noticing. HAT is pure unadulterated genius, I popped it on again last week and it still blows me away.

herb wilkinson

some hardcore douchebag on a music site i frequent trashed h.a.t. really badly and inferred fans of it (and other melvins releases comparable to it) are "minimalists", like what the fuck are you talking about guy

GrimReaper

Quote from: herb wilkinson on April 23, 2018, 09:38:14 PM
some hardcore douchebag on a music site i frequent trashed h.a.t. really badly and inferred fans of it (and other melvins releases comparable to it) are "minimalists", like what the fuck are you talking about guy

He needs a good kick to the nut sack.

Helen83

Quote from: dirtmerchant on April 23, 2018, 02:07:19 AM
8 tracks, 3 of them covers. The rest of em written by Pinkus Or Steve. One track bearing Crovers name as well.  Yet I see people saying this is their best album in ten years? Really? Only proof of this being a melvins album is the band name on the cover. This is a Pinkus album wih a few covers,  lets be honest. I know it was said in an interview that it wasn't planned and it was done really fast which makes sense after hearing it. Hopefully someday they will learn quality over quantity unless there is quality and quantity (the trilogy) I feel like some of the same people who say this is their best in a long time are the same people who say they love prick or think the second disc of a walk with love and death is amazing. Prick was a joke and the second disc of awwlad is pretty much the same. I know buzz said the second disc was hard to do but that doesn't make it good. The original tracks aren't horrible. I was really liking prenup butter til Steven came in with that horrid bass effect.  he used that same shit live on Amazon last time I saw them. Bass wah filter phaser filter what ever the fuck it is please someobe take it from him. I know they love playing with him but Jesus the dude Is a goofball and cheeses everything up on stage. I say that knowing the Melvins have a sense of humor behind everything they do.maybe they will do another album with Kevin since they jammed with him recently.  I don't hate the album but it makes my head hurt to see people say it's their best album in ten years. I'll still buy the album to support them and keep them touring to my town  Sorry for all the yelling but they are one of my all time favorites , now when is the Haze Edition goin up on shoxop?😅

The new album drops a GIANT DOOKIE on everything they've done the last 18yrs let alone 10. And if you want to call it a Pinkus album then mad props to him for giving Melvins and their sissy fans a good kick up the ass.
Oh and if Steve is too cheesey for you moaning toilet ghosts.....then STOP taking everything so seriously.....it's only rock'n'roll.....go drop some acid and see the world for what it truly is....people being in too much of a rush and taking everything WAAAAAAAY too seriously.

Helen83

Oh yeah and Buzzo ALWAYS envisions totally weirded out twisted music to make while sniggering and thinking to himself "wait'll the fans hear THIS weird stuff!!! It'll show'em how bad-ass we are!"

))))((((

Helen, are you listening to the right record here??

dirtmerchant

Quote from: Helen83 on April 24, 2018, 02:34:08 AM
Oh yeah and Buzzo ALWAYS envisions totally weirded out twisted music to make while sniggering and thinking to himself "wait'll the fans hear THIS weird stuff!!! It'll show'em how bad-ass we are!"

Yea because covering the Beatles is so weird. If you really think this is better than anything they've put out in 18 years then you've either been in a coma or you're trolling.

Buttcakefred

At this point for me (A) Senile Animal is the last great Melvins album.

Fureon Nectarmoon

Quote from: dirtmerchant on April 24, 2018, 04:50:17 AM
Quote from: Helen83 on April 24, 2018, 02:34:08 AM
Yea because covering the Beatles is so weird. If you really think this is better than anything they've put out in 18 years then you've either been in a coma or you're trolling.
That was sarcasm.

Sure, Buzz did say they're not trying to be perverse. But that just means he's not going out of his way to make things weird.
They usually just come out weird naturally because he's a very eccentric person.
But for some reason that eccentricity doesn't come out to play much.

They're sort of got stuck in their comfort zone with Steven.

When Joe was in the band, his complaint was "we should be working on new material instead of just playing Kiss covers all the time".
Of course he exaggerated and he couldn't read Buzz's mind. He wasn't completely right, but do you see his point there?
When he joined the Melvins, their most unique current feature at the time was drone (Hung Bunny), and the sludge of Bullhead.
Joe no doubt wanted them to focus on that uniqueness and go forward with it, while seeing the classics worship aspect as regression.
See how this is again becoming relevant?

They say you should thank life not only for your friends, but enemies as well.
Joe might have been a pain in the ass, but he was also a KICK to the ass that didn't let the band get stuck in their comfort zone.
Steven is just straight up pandering to the classic-rock-worshipping side of Buzz and that seems to overshadow his weird adventurous side.

I think they're in need a younger, edgier bassist, with wider and/or different tastes.
Someone who can take them out of their bubble for a bit so they can get a fresh outlook and get inspired anew.

Oscar

This might be the first time we are really having this conversation about the band. I think it's good, this is a forum after all.
We are all aware that the Melvins do what they want, and I wouldn't want it any other way. It's not like we're running up on Buzz after a gig saying "what you SHOULD HAVE DONE is..."

Quote from: Helen83 on April 24, 2018, 02:23:39 AM
Oh and if Steve is too cheesey for you moaning toilet ghosts.....then STOP taking everything so seriously.....it's only rock'n'roll.....go drop some acid and see the world for what it truly is....people being in too much of a rush and taking everything WAAAAAAAY too seriously.

I assume you're trolling or just plain ignorant.
I've seen them play with Steve 3 times in the last two years, I was never crazy about him joining because I find Redd Kross to be one of the blandest acts out there - but kept an open mind because I trust their sensibilities. Yes it is only rock'n'roll, but if you applied that logic to all of this, then why the fuck are you on the band's official forum let alone a thread on this album.

I'm not taking anything seriously, I simply don't like him. Two different things.

Quote from: Fureon Nectarmoon on April 24, 2018, 05:54:20 AM
They're sort of got stuck in their comfort zone with Steven.

I agree, that's part of the dad rock I mentioned earlier. Every interview with Steven talks about the Rolling Stones over and over and over again.

Quote from: Buttcakefred on April 24, 2018, 04:54:40 AM
At this point for me (A) Senile Animal is the last great Melvins album.

Nude With Boots for me

Bigval

Quote from: Oscar on April 24, 2018, 07:23:40 AM
Nude With Boots for me

Agreed

btw I think all this discussion on the pros and cons of PAT, current style etc is all very healthy it's great.

))))((((

Quote from: Bigval on April 24, 2018, 08:37:23 AM
btw I think all this discussion on the pros and cons of PAT, current style etc is all very healthy it's great.
Same here. It's a nice change actually that now people are providing their opinion and both sides (or all sides!) can discuss this stuff rather than just be labelled a "hater" or excessively negative. I've always kind of bemoaned that usually this place just blindly laps up whatever they were putting out. Yet now i think it is quite telling (and interesting!) how perspectives seem to be changing a little.