Pinkus Abortion Technician

Started by ))))((((, February 12, 2018, 11:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief Ten Beers

Quote from: aeustin on April 28, 2018, 04:58:59 PM
lmao am I the only one here that still unironically enjoys them?

Nope, I'm also one. PAT rules, though I can sort of see why some might call it their "Diver Down". Bottom line, The Melvins are still making great music. It'll take most people 5 yrs to catch up with what they're doing, as it did with NWB, BSM, etc.

It's like when Miles said "I've changed  the course of jazz like 4 or 5 times". Just substitute "jazz" for "punk/metal" & there you have the Melvins.

Topaz

Quote from: Michael Jordan on April 22, 2018, 03:54:08 PM
Quote from: Fureon Nectarmoon on April 21, 2018, 04:32:14 PM

Overall, I like the album, but honestly I'm already waiting for the Steven era to end.

Couldn't have put it better...

I met Steven after the Orlando show last September as he came outside to smoke a cigarette while I was waiting for a cab. We spoke for 5-10 mins and I can say that he is a super nice, cool guy.

However, I also must say that I didn't like his fit in the melvins pretty much from day one, mostly on stage.

He brings in a more "poppy", clean vibe, which I probably wouldn't mind in bands who are NOT Melvins  :D

For me, Melvins (especially live Melvins) was always about heaviness, weirdness, something you FEEL, DIVE INTO, EXPERIENCE, rather than just watch or listen to.  The 2 shows I've attended with Steven on bass lacked that X factor, that elusive feeling that you normally get after a Melvins show. That "what the fuck did I just watch?" (in a good way) feeling...

The shows with Steven look more "professional" if u'd like, more of a "rock show" for the fans as opposed to standard Melvins which is "Anti-fans"  :lol:   it lacks that "fuck you" attitude, that uniqueness that distinguishes Melvins from other bands.

It really hit me again a couple of months back when that video of Night Goat with Kevin surfaced. I'd much rather see someone like Kevin on bass...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Geupgdfps

So yeah I agree about Steven  :).

I also agree that this is not a bad album, but I think it's far from being one of their best.

BTW apparently I'm the only one here who likes embrace the rub??

Actually, I also like Embrace The Rub. You're not the only one.

(the) Razor

Quote from: Oscar on April 23, 2018, 09:26:28 AM
Quote from: glen on April 23, 2018, 08:25:35 AM
let's just say the pure unadulterated evil has been replaced with a healthy dose of hippy dippy and southern sass as of late. 

In addition to that, I think there is a bit of a dad rock element setting in. All of them keep emphasizing how weird and out there this stuff is when it's possibly the most vanilla sounding era of the band yet.

Heard it a few years ago too.

I mean it's totally understandable but glad someone else hears it too. At least it's not like rolling stones in the 80s or 90s or beyond.  :lol:

Reading through this thread was really interesting, as it's hard to pin down exactly what it is with the band in the last decade in terms of the quality of albums but it is telling that they are constantly looking at collaborations at this point.

I think the best thing would be for them to go finish off the next Fantomas or side projects for a few years, Dale has a lot more in him with his solo material and other side projects. Just take a break from Melvins and come back fresh after a few years.

Its not about heaviness or them releasing ozma again, it's just being able to get to that level again where what they were releasing was confident. I mean let's be honest, will people still be listening to Stag and HAT in 20, 30 years? Yes! These new albums not so much landmark or timeless in that sense.

I'm just an armchair critic of course and what would I know about music but the latest string of albums to my ears do not sound like the same impactful controlled output Melvins of past.
Don't click this

Topaz

Just some random thoughts and opinions to go along with this thread:

I'm what one would consider a Melvins fanboy. Some of their stuff that I couldn't really get into at the time (Big Biz trilogy, Bootlicker) I listened to over and over and developed an appreciation for it. I guess that's my keyword for this post: appreciation. PAT is far from perfect, too many covers, etc., but I appreciate it because it comes from the Melvins and their allies.

Shit, I'm just glad they don't release the same album time after time like AC/DC or Judas Priest do. On PAT, my favorites are Flamboyant Duck and Breathe. I'm glad they did the Butthole covers because it was a chance for me to get into the Surfers (I only previously knew Electric Larryland really).

I've only seen Melvins four times live (in two days it will be five!), so I've only seen Pinkus and Steve. I like Steve's jumping around and his energy onstage, but it does get old after a while. I prefer Pinkus' style of hanging back and plucking away with his beer within easy reach on a cinder block (at least at the Texas shows he does that).

I thought the Death album was a masterpiece (notice I didn't say AWWLAD). Melvins have lots of misses and things that don't work on their albums -- Barcelonian Horseshoe Pit comes to mind -- but I will always love and appreciate what they do because they're the fuckin' Melvins. I try to see those tracks as soundscapes and not just "songs."

I think their best album this decade is Hold It In (Yes, even though I said Death was a masterpiece). HII has the raw elements that I love. Pinkus' singing style sounds like a pissed off Buzz, in a good way.

By the way, does anyone else make Melvins shows into mini holidays from work? I'm taking one day off as a travel day (only 2 hour drive) and to see the show and another day to recover.

If Melvins seem in a rut or stuck in dad rock or whatever, remember, it's a pendulum. Sooner or later they'll be working with other people, and that pendulum will swing again. Just enjoy the music and have fun. That's what I do.

(the) Razor

^ Well said.

At the end of the day an off Melvins release is like an off Coens brother film - still better than majority of what's out there even if the experiment doesn't quite work or gets compared to their old work.
Don't click this

spliff(TONE)

With so many talking about the spotty releases Melvins have had over the last ~decade, it has me wanting to start a new thread where everyone puts together their own 2010 and forward Best of Melvins collection that's no longer than 80 minutes.

Or maybe just do that in here?

Bigval

Quote from: spliff(TONE) on April 28, 2018, 11:51:26 PM
With so many talking about the spotty releases Melvins have had over the last ~decade, it has me wanting to start a new thread where everyone puts together their own 2010 and forward Best of Melvins collection that's no longer than 80 minutes.

Or maybe just do that in here?

I decided to make up a post-2012 compilation CD for my brother and gave it to him today. Even though it was meant to be the post-BB era and the start of the collaborative era I decided to start at Bulls & Bees rather than Freak Puke just because of how good I think that EP is and don't rate Freak Puke. I also decided to put the Bowie cover and a taste of the Buzz solo album at the end there for him too.

1. We Are Doomed
2. National Hamster
3. Psychodelic Haze
4. Sesame Street Meat
5. Chicken 'N' Dump
6. The Decay of Lying
7. Choco Plumbing
8. Phyllis Dillard
9. Euthanasia
10. Flaming Creature
11. Cactus Party
12. Don't Forget To Breathe
13. Prenup Butter
14. Station To Station
15. Vaulting Over A Microphone

))))((((

Quote from: spliff(TONE) on April 28, 2018, 11:51:26 PM
everyone puts together their own 2010 and forward Best of Melvins collection that's no longer than 80 minutes.
Probably longer than 80 minutes but these are the ones that would be in contention for me.

The War On Wisdom
We Are Doomed
Mr Rip Off
Inner Ear Rupture
Baby Won't You Weird Me Out
Worm Farm Waltz
A Growing Disgust
Holy Barbarians
Let Me Roll It
Romance
City Dump
American Cow
Onions Make The Milk Taste Bad
Sesame Street Meat
The Bunk Up
The Decay Of Lying
Beer Hippie
Captain Come Down
Hideous Woman
Planet Destructo
Black Heath
Sober-delic (Acid Only)
Euthanasia
Flaming Creature

meezer

That's a great idea for a different thread. We're talking about this new album here mang.  :D
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

agentcooper

well that was about 4 minutes to sell out.  Surprised it went that fast  :shock:  ...must be the album art

deatheats

Quote from: agentcooper on April 29, 2018, 12:06:00 PM
well that was about 4 minutes to sell out.  Surprised it went that fast  :shock:  ...must be the album art

Yeah, used to be you'd see the sell times posted here but now that they sell out so quickly...

GiveMe45

buddy holiday

Got one...  :D
4min and they were gone.
art edition going up next week, exact date tbc on amrep facebook.

deatheats

Quote from: GiveMe45 on April 29, 2018, 12:15:44 PM
Wait...what did I miss?

200 Green w\ pinwheel vinyl

https://www.shoxop.com/collections/brand-spanking-new/products/melvins-pinkus-abortion-technician-lp

There's definitely some version selling on tour, so I don't think this was the last chance to pick one up!

Edit: Oops see above  :P
Quote from: buddy holiday on April 29, 2018, 12:16:53 PM
...art edition going up next week, exact date tbc on amrep facebook.
If I hear about it I'll post the time here for the non Facebook people!

Godflesh

Snooze  :(
20 minutes too late.
--- Heavy user ---