2018 Setlist Requests and Dead and Widowed Albums on tour

Started by amazonAMAZON, March 27, 2018, 04:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amazonAMAZON

I was thinking about what underrepresented songs I might want to see on the upcoming tour. Started me thinking about these albums where one and only one song seems to be in permanent live rotation. I'm calling them the widows.

Widowed albums:

GLUEY PORCH TREATMENTS is the grandaddy of widows since they really only play "Eye Flys" with any regularity.

HONKY They only ever play "Lovely Butterfly" which is a great tune, but "Pitfalls in Serving Warrants" would be awesome live, as would the return of "Mombius Hibachi". Epic would the debut(?) of "They All Must be Slaughtered".

EGG NOG "Charmicarmicat" seems to be the only thing they've played since the endless residency. I miss "Antitoxidote"

OZMA "Oven" gets pulled out now and then. This whole album is rich with material waiting for the stage again. My picks right now are "Vile" and "Cranky Messiah"

THE MAGGOT "AMAZON" rules but the rest of this album is stunning, too. Give us "Green Manalishi" or "Manky" or "Judy" or "See How Pretty."

THIS MACHINE KILLS ARTISTS Chock full of good Buzz songs, most of which would make great Melvins songs. We've heard "Dark Brown Teeth" so it doesn't seem like there's a reason to prevent us from seeing "Rough Democracy" or "Drunken Baby" or "Vulgar Joke"

THE BOOTLICKER "Let It All Be" is the hit of this album and one of my favorite songs to see in any incarnation of the band. We could could hear almost any other track on here, though, amplified, and it'll be like new. Seems these used to get played and don't any more. "Jew Boy Flower Head" would be awesome with two bass players.

NEVER BREATHE/SIEG HOWDY "Halo of Flies" seems to get played on occasion, but there are a few pieces on here that could be reworked especially with Stephen or Pinkus doing the spiel. "Dawn of the Locusts" intrigues me.

ELECTRORETARD "Youth of America" is probably the only song that we'd ever expect to hear from this record, but "Interstellar Overdrive" or "Missing" could make a comeback.

PIGS OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE I thought it was only "Bloated Pope" but I guess "Pigs" has been pulled out on occasion. I'd love to see "Pink Bat" or "ZZZZ Best / Safety Third" for once.

HOLD IT IN "Onions Make The Milk Taste Bad" seems to be the keeper from this record. I'd expect some of this back in rotation if Pinkus is touring again. "Bride of Crankenstein" and "House of Gasoline" would rip.

THE CRYBABY "Okie from Muskogee" seems to creep up every now and then. Too bad we can't at least get "Blockbuster" or the other Yow one. "Divorced" seems way too much to ask, but I think we'd all shit ourselves.

FREAK PUKE "A Growing Disgust" is alone on the island nowadays. "Let Me Roll It" was a favorite from the Lite tour, and I'd love to get "Leon vs" amplified.

Currently Dead Albums:

SIX SONGS: I guess "Grinding Process" or "#2 Pencil" would be funny
EVERYBODY LOVES SAUSAGES: "Black Betty" and "Attitude" would be my live songs of choice form this record if the Bowie one is too daunting.
THREE MEN AND A BABY: Hard to say. "Read the Label (It's Chili)" would be welcome.
KING BUZZO/DALE/JOE: "Porg" or any of the Dale songs
TRES CABRONES: "City Dump" was fun and "Dogs and Cattle Prods" stands to make a comeback

Bonus Points:

COLOSSUS OF DESTINY: I'd be happy to have them pay homage to this record in any way to start the show.
PRICK: "Larry" is something I always want to hear live. "Jeff Thomas" from "Roll Another One" would make me happy, as would some take on "Montreal".
CHICKEN SWITCH: good luck!

GrimReaper

GiveMe45

Was dumb and slept on my opportunity to see any of the residency shows  :x but they've never played Charmicarmicat at any of the 20+ shows I've seen.  I've joked that I could retire after experiencing that.

As far as Ozma, I've seen them do a few songs over the years but only got to experience At A Crawl once the very first time I saw them in '94.  Would love that one to make a comeback.

Captain CoryCory

Tres Cabrones gets majorly overlooked barring that Pop-O-Pies cover. I'd go bonkers for Dogs and Cattle Prods.

Other underrated songs I'd root for:
Heater Moves and Eyes (Gluey Porch)
Grinding Process (Six Songs)
Matt-Alec (Mangled Demos)
If I Had An Exorcism (Bullhead)
Cow (Bullhead)
Skin Horse (Stag)
Pitfalls in Serving Warrants (Honky)
Up The Dumper (Bootlicker)
Pink Bat (Pigs of the Roman Empire)
The Mechanical Bride (Senile Animal)
Suicide in Progress (Nude With Boots)
The Bunk Up (Hold It In)
Anything off Three Men and a Baby

Peebot

great post!

I really wish HAT would get some play these days. 'The Fool, the Meddling Idiot' and 'The Brain Center at Whipples' are two of my all-time favorite Melvins tracks, and 'The Anti-Vermin Seed' is amazing too. Even 'Little Judas Chongo' would be great. that tour was incredible, some of my favorite shows, they were absolutely crushing with Kevin during that period.

dwr budr

Quote from: Peebot on March 28, 2018, 01:50:25 AM
great post!

I really wish HAT would get some play these days. 'The Fool, the Meddling Idiot' and 'The Brain Center at Whipples' are two of my all-time favorite Melvins tracks, and 'The Anti-Vermin Seed' is amazing too. Even 'Little Judas Chongo' would be great. that tour was incredible, some of my favorite shows, they were absolutely crushing with Kevin during that period.

......thanks

Yeah, man. 07/03/2002 Minneapolis 1st Ave was my first Melvins show therefore I'm a tad biased.... Anything from HAT!!!!

amazonAMAZON

I might be in the minority on this one, but I'd love to hear "Black Heath" with the two bass player attack. Have they ever played this live at all? One of the best grooves between Dale and Steven, then add Pinkus to put some boom on the bottom I think this could crush.