A dark sabbath cometh duuuuuude! HAZE XXL linocut 2018

Started by amazonAMAZON, August 29, 2018, 04:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dumpster D

glen

"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

Oscar

Quote from: Dumpster D on September 19, 2018, 01:06:40 PM
Are you Just having a bad week or something?

I would be less ok with the band quitting and retiring than catering to criticism, outrage is hardly the word...Annoyed I would say, and if you don't understand it..There's nothing anyone can do to help you.  It's not just you personally giving me a headache, it's a lot of people over the years coming down on this band where they need to STFU already and be grateful this band is still kicking ass. I'm tired of it. No one comes close to being as good as this band in so many magical ways.

Your name is oscar, yet *I'M* the grouch? What *do* you want from this band? what will satisfy you and make you happy then? sincerely!

Tell you what, explain in greater detail how the drums sound like cardboard, It's Just a Jaded Critique to me. If you're going to rip on this band don't do it with half your ass.

I could listen to it a few more times and give you an idea of where this was recorded and what microphones were possibly used etc, what cymbals and kit were used.

It doesn't sound like it was done in their usual space.

What was your expectation of this cover before you listened?  Hey, Tell me something-  you played it straight off a smart phone didn't you?

PS. Ian, I've been through a few trials trying to get to see the band live a few times. Imagine what these guys have gone through playing thousands of shows all over the world, how hard these guys work, and how incredible and inspiring and rare and special that is?

Ok how about you reign in the youtube comment section energy and let us have a discussion.

I'm aware that you don't track my posts, but we have discussed gripes with their current sound on here a whole lot and didn't think I need to roll out the whole thing again to get my point across. I played this song on my sound system like I do every time, the fact that you worked yourself up into some kind of "you kids and your phones" tangent is hilarious. Especially considering that most of us first listened to this on Youtube. I'm sure it all sounds extra crisp when played through your superior hi-fi.

The drums on this Sabbath record sound bland and tinny to me. It might be the kit, it might be the engineering, it might be the mix. I'm not about to A/B it for you with a record that I like, because we are arguing over arbitrary factors - all I said, and am still saying, is that I am tired of this tone. I don't care if this was recorded somewhere other than Sound Of Sirens, I just think that the sound, mix and sometimes studio performance has been quite uninspired lately. Cisneros' vocals on this have been discussed previously, I agree in that he is not at all helping the already pretty tired delivery of this song. I love that the Melvins do what they want, that's what makes them THEM, but if what they want right now is dad rock, then I guess that aspect is not for me.

Does this mean I think that the Melvins don't kick ass? No.
Does this mean I don't respect the fact that they're one of the most phenomenal bands of this (and the last) century? Fuck no.
Does the fact that they're phenomenal and have been around for a long time mean that I'll nod and agree with everything that comes out? Even if I don't like it? Ask yourself.

Quote from: Dumpster D on September 21, 2018, 01:55:25 PM
What *do* you want from this band? what will satisfy you and make you happy then? sincerely!

I don't "want" anything. They're my favourite band, always have been. They don't owe me things. It's art, and it's theirs to make.
Also, keep in mind that I'm not saying anything on here to convince the band to change their ways. All I'm doing (and I can't believe I'm still breaking this part down) is COMMENTING ON THE SONG IN THE DAMN THREAD THAT WAS STARTED FOR DISCUSSION ABOUT THE SONG.

I happen to not like it. I happen to be over their style of production and feel like they're plateauing. I'm good on Sabbath and especially Stones covers. My week has been great, I just have an opinion and was apparently mistaken that this is the place to express it.

PS: How is not liking something being grouchy? Doesn't Buzz himself shit on pretty much everything? And you love him for it?

Dumpster D

This is gold.

Actually a friend played this tune through his Iphone for me, It took me awhile to guess who actually.

I played it a second time on my Monitor and PA system, My Superior Hi-fi is broken to be honest.

Here's a thought.

Put on a display at an art gallery.. lets say it's your rendering of a famous painting by a classic artist in particular because you're already a well known artist inside of a community...

It's an opening night and here you are. a minute goes by, someone walks up to one of your paintings and starts critiquing your work all of a sudden other people chime in and start pointing out what they feel is wrong with your work and then Just walk away. It's like, What are you doing HERE in the first place looking at my painting if you don't like it?  :?

Within reason, what gives you the right to Judge what someone else is doing for a living?

What would you have them do if it was up to you?

Oh, yeah no more Sabbath covers...ok you can live with that? But what more can they do for you?  what DO you want then, you still haven't expressed what they should be doing in your opinion. You have NO idea what's coming down the line in the future based on this one cover song do you? 

Oscar

An art gallery is something very different from a discussion forum, D. I really hope that is understood otherwise we won't reach any kind of anything here.

Your example equates more to going to a Melvins show and heckling them from the pit screaming about how lame that Sabbath cover was.

Quote from: Dumpster D on September 21, 2018, 04:50:55 PM
Oh, yeah no more Sabbath covers...ok you can live with that? But what more can they do for you?  what DO you want then, you still haven't expressed what they should be doing in your opinion. You have NO idea what's coming down the line in the future based on this one cover song do you? 

Jeez man, you asked the question on the Sabbath covers and I said I'm good on it. I'm also good on a rumored Stones cover EP. It's just my damn opinion, how has this got you so tight? There is nothing to be expected or wanted from a band, I only commented on one song. You asked about them not doing covers at all and I (half-jokingly) said I could live without it.

))))((((

Quote from: Dumpster D on September 21, 2018, 01:55:25 PM
PS. Ian, I've been through a few trials trying to get to see the band live a few times. Imagine what these guys have gone through playing thousands of shows all over the world, how hard these guys work, and how incredible and inspiring and rare and special that is?
Oh exactly i agree. Honestly i really do, it IS special. As i mentioned a couple of days ago, it is special to get new releases too even when i don't much like some of them. But don't forget lots of bands go through all sorts of things. Not all of those bands are great bands or put out awesome records. Graft and passion is one thing and to be commended of course but it's all about the outcome. That is all that matters in any artistic field. Not what goes into it but what comes out the other side. That is what it stands or falls by and nothing else. On it's own merits.

Dumpster D

Quote from: Oscar on September 21, 2018, 04:56:45 PM
An art gallery is something very different from a discussion forum, D. I really hope that is understood otherwise we won't reach any kind of anything here.

Your example equates more to going to a Melvins show and heckling them from the pit screaming about how lame that Sabbath cover was.

Quote from: Dumpster D on September 21, 2018, 04:50:55 PM

Jeez man, you asked the question on the Sabbath covers and I said I'm good on it. I'm also good on a rumored Stones cover EP. It's just my damn opinion, how has this got you so tight? There is nothing to be expected or wanted from a band, I only commented on one song. You asked about them not doing covers at all and I (half-jokingly) said I could live without it.

now I'M the one criticizing YOU...Well maybe you can tell me something then, how does it feel?

That being said, ok... I talk a lot of negative shit on this forum in general. I admit.

It's tough to try and make a living on your own using your creativity, so I duno maybe negative shit does inspire in some ways to use that and keep going.

I really can't say, It's probably best to ignore it or pretty soon you'd be through with life already in your head.

bUTTHOLEmAN

I can understand not wanting to hurt someone's feelings, but does that over-ride someone's actual opinion? There's a difference between 'your dirty music sucks, and so does your mom', and I liked the band during these years, but not these, and this sounds bad to me, because of x and y and z.
Doesn't it seem strange to only want to hear mindless compliments about a band, disregarding the actual content or subject matter?
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

Dumpster D

I'm pretty inspired to hear this track and the artwork is Killer...It's one of the coolest Haze Lino cuts I've seen, It's really a special thing, Sabbath is one of those sacred magical things for me personally.

Sabbath bloody sabbath is one of those Albums that has been there for me in life at some rough points, possibly the greatest sabbath album IMO.

There's been a few nights I've gone for walks with this Album playing. It's a total game changer of a record.

Why they chose to do this now after all the other bands did it a lot earlier in their career points has me wondering, considering when they themselves, were into this music at a time when it had really gone out in the 90's.

Does this song have some special place in the bands hearts and minds? or was it Just a choice everyone could agree on?

Anyway, go ahead and dislike it, no big deal then.

What's the song about?

It's about deep stuff Buttholeman...you wouldn't understand.  :P

So Can we all skip ahead and start calling them sellouts yet?  [-X

GiveMe45

bUTTHOLEmAN

if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

meezer

Saw a quote from Haze on insta that it would be available as a cheap CD. Please tell me someone else saw that.  [-o<
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

))))((((

Quote from: meezer on September 22, 2018, 11:03:46 AM
Saw a quote from Haze on insta that it would be available as a cheap CD.
I'll wait till it's on an Ipecac CD with approximately 11 other songs!!

black stallion

Quote from: ))))(((( on September 22, 2018, 11:09:15 AM
Quote from: meezer on September 22, 2018, 11:03:46 AM
Saw a quote from Haze on insta that it would be available as a cheap CD.
I'll wait till it's on an Ipecac CD with approximately 11 other songs!!

eheh
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

amazonAMAZON

If you ignore all other factors, this release is a gift from the divine for the simple mathematical fact:

Dale Crover > All Drummers {Bill Ward, drummer2, drummer3, ...}