Buzzo's Greatest Guitar Solos

Started by John Schuller, November 02, 2018, 11:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stonergrunge

cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

amazonAMAZON

Here's some more recent ones for the folks stuck in nostalgia:

"Euthenasia" - the moment I wait for is that solo kicking in.

"Planet Destructo" - the less-is-more solo along with Trevor's ambitious walking is a glorious anomaly.

"You Can Make Me Wait" has a beautiful lead line half way through.

"The Bunk Up" - the coda has a good one that veers off from a sweet written line to a solo to noise

Then on PAT I think "Don't Forget" and "Duck" and "Graveyard" all have solos that are exemplary of what I love and expect from Buzz solos, that sort of anti-solo that takes you somewhere chaotic without compromising the riff or the groove.

Dumpster D

Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on November 03, 2018, 12:54:13 PM
Quote from: Dumpster D on November 03, 2018, 02:53:30 AM
That album is the missing link.

IMO nothing stands up to the face melting Buzzo signature solo on "Divorced"

I'll have to listen again, but I always assumed that was Adam Jones.  "Revolve" has a perfect solo too, sort of Fripp-esque.  I recently listened to "Instant Larry". The shredding on there has to be Mark D.? Sounds way too Vai-ish to be Buzz. :lol:

There's an Adam Jones solo, AND a Buzzo solo...they go at it back to back, It's a really incredible recording...one band is the left channel of the mix and the other is the right.

It's really a good Juxtaposition of guitar styles, and the way they came at the arrangement of this piece from a conceptual point is absolutely bullet-proof.

The Adam jones solo is nicely executed with care, with a bodied melody to it, it's very neat and tidy...Then Buzz Just steps in and blows the doors down with a solo that basically has absolutely not ONE SINGLE Redeemable note whatsoever...No scales, nothing...Just pure abstract expression, it's a rare gift to not play correctly and still getting your message across Just breaking through the musical language barrier so forcefully...That solo is akin to carving a pumpkin with a dull knife in your fist, or a kids finger painting of a car crash with blood and guts all over the place.

then they both come back in together in perfect unison like landing a Kick flip off a set of polished marble Stairs and that is the set up for the Drum duel.

..It's Just bending harmonics, aggro pickup noise that is so thick you could stand a fork up in it, that's the pure beauty that Buzz doesn't get enough cred for as a noise artist...absolutely incredible ham-fisted form. Maybe not the most technically gifted musician, but that's not the point...the point is the bastard puts himself into his playing so much, even if it's one note over and over he's putting all of himself into it. That's punk rock personified, it's what defines punk. he really means it, whatever the fuck he Just played.

I've seen them play something live that *LITERALLY* Dropped my Jaw.

and you're making that face the monkey makes when that guy shows him that disappearing card trick

like "NO WAY!!!!"  :shock:

Chief Ten Beers

Amen, DD. Couldn't have said it better. =D>

The Euthanasia from "Walk w/ Love & Death", isn't that the Pixies dude soloing on there, and if not what exactly again does he do on that session?

One of my fave Buzz solos is on "Dr. Geek". It's the ultimate tribute to D. Boon. 8)

Dumpster D

Apart from playing solos, I really think Buzz is one of the most important and influential songwriters of all time.

Let it all be, is an easy example.

The guitar solo in that is one of my personal favourites...it really is a few simple little magic lines that meet the listener half way, it's very pleasant and friendly with a really good wah pedal tone, it's very subtle and effective...nothing but *poof* magic, He's Just letting the notes and rhythms do their own thing naturally and It's very passive and simple, It reminds me of some of the leads off the Jeff Wayne's war of the world soundtrack somehow... It doesn't Jump out at you and demand your attention It really lulls you into its own tiny little world suggestively and keeps a happy little groove, It leaves room for your mind to fill in the rest subconsciously.

Buzz has something more than most guitar players have apart from technical ability, and that is in the lyrics and writing within the context of the band, which really is the more important dynamic to focus on rather than wanking out a solo on every single track.

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: Dumpster D on November 04, 2018, 08:23:01 PM

I'll have to listen again, but I always assumed that was Adam Jones.  "Revolve" has a perfect solo too, sort of Fripp-esque.  I recently listened to "Instant Larry". The shredding on there has to be Mark D.? Sounds way too Vai-ish to be Buzz. :lol:

There's an Adam Jones solo, AND a Buzzo solo...they go at it back to back, It's a really incredible recording...one band is the left channel of the mix and the other is the right.

How did you figure out that Buzz and Adam play solos on that Dumpster? Good ears.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

blacksanta

I agree with Your Blessened

Also - Youth
         Growing Disgust
         SOBERDELIC
Also melvins is gay cuz some of their songs are just noise, i tell you this so you all don't buy albums and find out only one two songs is good on them.

Dumpster D

Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on November 06, 2018, 03:41:20 PM

How did you figure out that Buzz and Adam play solos on that Dumpster? Good ears.

I know basically Zero about The Tool Setup, or What Adam uses for his rig but he's got a very unique sounding quality in his guitar tone and playing, whatever his setup is...It's a lot more melodic and laid back than what Buzz does. His sound has a very distinct almost organic feel to it, almost like he uses a wah pedal that's been set to a certain mid-range setting that muffles out some of the harmonics or like there's a notch filter or some kind of sustain box he's using, the guitar on that track sounds a lot like it did on most of the undertow album, and I'm guessing they did eventually get together in the same room to record the track or it would have been a lot more time consuming to work on it at different times and places, I want to say that it sounds like the Tool guys place, they maybe used their gear and board to cut the track on.

when I first bought the Crybaby I was Just starting to learn how to play guitar and drums...That Album had Just come out, I was anticipating it... Maggot was an album that got my full un-divided attention...put it that way.

Do you remember what It was like when you smoked pot as a teenager? a little goes a long way still...

I'd lie in bed and put my headphones on and really go deep into the music, and the crybaby was a real life experience for me at the time..I cared about every note and when you're 16 you look up to your musical heroes and believe in them so deeply..nothing about that admiration and respect has ever lessened.

My singer gave me a Tool mix tape and I'd been listening to that a lot too around that time so I was really excited about the collaborative Track on the crybaby, it was Epic, massive and Just sounded like it was such an undertaking to write and record Divorced.

I'd sometimes listen to one side of the mix and then the other Just to hear each band individually...

The LFO pulse that starts the whole thing off rumbling into a nice choppy staccato sequence at the beginning of the track, is the meter to which the drums start to use for their timing and then the bass kicks in and gets the ball rolling...I could have listened to a whole album of Just that Synthesizer Stuff, someone told me Danny Carry Had a nice collection of vintage Synths so presumably it's some of his toys they used for the intro.

When the Catchy little hook drops in that song the tool side has a weird child-like demon voice chanting, and the Melvins side sounds like Teresa Screaming, it always made the hair on my arms stand up it was so goddamn diabolical.

Tool is dark and mysterious, that really lends itself to the overall effect...something about that track, a lot of care went into it...it's the closest thing you can get to perfection.

Like when you're almost *too* good at your Job and it's a little scary actually.

that Feedback really seals the deal...It's really original..no one has ever had the sheer audacity to do something like that and it's perfect.

Dale's drum solo is another thing, sitting there in the dark lying in my bed with the headphones blasting while I'm burning out...

Dale is the reason I picked up a pair of Sticks in the first place.

Even then the totally fucked up thing about that track is none of the Tool fans I knew at the time Acknowledged the Melvins and their rapport with the Tool Boys...

It still makes no fucking sense...the Tool fans never warmed up to the Melvins like they should know what's good for em..

Well that's fine, *I* know how great the Melvins are....I know Tool *gets* them.

Oscar

Quote from: Dumpster D on November 05, 2018, 10:54:00 PM
Apart from playing solos, I really think Buzz is one of the most important and influential songwriters of all time.

Let it all be, is an easy example.

The guitar solo in that is one of my personal favourites...it really is a few simple little magic lines that meet the listener half way, it's very pleasant and friendly with a really good wah pedal tone, it's very subtle and effective...nothing but *poof* magic, He's Just letting the notes and rhythms do their own thing naturally and It's very passive and simple, It reminds me of some of the leads off the Jeff Wayne's war of the world soundtrack somehow... It doesn't Jump out at you and demand your attention It really lulls you into its own tiny little world suggestively and keeps a happy little groove, It leaves room for your mind to fill in the rest subconsciously.

Buzz has something more than most guitar players have apart from technical ability, and that is in the lyrics and writing within the context of the band, which really is the more important dynamic to focus on rather than wanking out a solo on every single track.

100%. Jew Bow Flower Head is another example of that tasteful interplay you described

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: Dumpster D on November 07, 2018, 02:31:14 AM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on November 06, 2018, 03:41:20 PM

I know basically Zero about The Tool Setup, or What Adam uses for his rig but he's got a very unique sounding quality in his guitar tone and playing, whatever his setup is...It's a lot more melodic and laid back than what Buzz does. His sound has a very distinct almost organic feel to it, almost like he uses a wah pedal that's been set to a certain mid-range setting that muffles out some of the harmonics or like there's a notch filter or some kind of sustain box he's using, the guitar on that track sounds a lot like it did on most of the undertow album, and I'm guessing they did eventually get together in the same room to record the track or it would have been a lot more time consuming to work on it at different times and places, I want to say that it sounds like the Tool guys place, they maybe used their gear and board to cut the track on.

when I first bought the Crybaby I was Just starting to learn how to play guitar and drums...That Album had Just come out, I was anticipating it... Maggot was an album that got my full un-divided attention...put it that way.

Do you remember what It was like when you smoked pot as a teenager? a little goes a long way still...

I'd lie in bed and put my headphones on and really go deep into the music, and the crybaby was a real life experience for me at the time..I cared about every note and when you're 16 you look up to your musical heroes and believe in them so deeply..nothing about that admiration and respect has ever lessened.

My singer gave me a Tool mix tape and I'd been listening to that a lot too around that time so I was really excited about the collaborative Track on the crybaby, it was Epic, massive and Just sounded like it was such an undertaking to write and record Divorced.

I'd sometimes listen to one side of the mix and then the other Just to hear each band individually...

The LFO pulse that starts the whole thing off rumbling into a nice choppy staccato sequence at the beginning of the track, is the meter to which the drums start to use for their timing and then the bass kicks in and gets the ball rolling...I could have listened to a whole album of Just that Synthesizer Stuff, someone told me Danny Carry Had a nice collection of vintage Synths so presumably it's some of his toys they used for the intro.

When the Catchy little hook drops in that song the tool side has a weird child-like demon voice chanting, and the Melvins side sounds like Teresa Screaming, it always made the hair on my arms stand up it was so goddamn diabolical.

Tool is dark and mysterious, that really lends itself to the overall effect...something about that track, a lot of care went into it...it's the closest thing you can get to perfection.

Like when you're almost *too* good at your Job and it's a little scary actually.

that Feedback really seals the deal...It's really original..no one has ever had the sheer audacity to do something like that and it's perfect.

Dale's drum solo is another thing, sitting there in the dark lying in my bed with the headphones blasting while I'm burning out...

Dale is the reason I picked up a pair of Sticks in the first place.

Even then the totally fucked up thing about that track is none of the Tool fans I knew at the time Acknowledged the Melvins and their rapport with the Tool Boys...

It still makes no fucking sense...the Tool fans never warmed up to the Melvins like they should know what's good for em..

Well that's fine, *I* know how great the Melvins are....I know Tool *gets* them.
Very cool, thanks for the reply.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

Dumpster D

Has anyone Name dropped the guitar solo from Revolve yet?

It's *Technically* his most standard sounding guitar solo as far as I can tell...it's right inside the box as far as anything else that Buzz does.

Again the band is clever to avoid incessant soloing.

John Schuller

Quote from: Dumpster D on November 09, 2018, 08:55:28 AM

It's *Technically* his most standard sounding guitar solo as far as I can tell...it's right inside the box as far as anything else that Buzz does.

The Revolve solo is great, however, on the recording that is Mark D ripping it up.

Mount Ambulance

solo closing out Pink Bat is sweet ... Buzz? Adam?

solo closing out Little Judas is sweet too ...

are they the best? dunno. they are cool tho and just sprung to mind ... so there ya go.
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

Dumpster D

Quote from: sadcorps on November 09, 2018, 04:25:12 PM
Quote from: Dumpster D on November 09, 2018, 08:55:28 AM

The Revolve solo is great, however, on the recording that is Mark D ripping it up.

Yeah that makes sense...so I'm not disagreeing.. I'm Just wondering how you know.

I only have a good ear most of the time...hm, well there you go.