Portland Sept 11th Doug Fir Lounge

Started by von grip, September 11, 2019, 07:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von grip

"im ol' south!"

blacksanta

Also melvins is gay cuz some of their songs are just noise, i tell you this so you all don't buy albums and find out only one two songs is good on them.

Idlehanz

Quote from: blacksanta on September 12, 2019, 03:04:51 AM
Best sounding club

I'd put Mississippi Studios just ahead of Doug Fir.  But Doug Fir is the best sounding Portland club we'll get to see the Melvins in.

blacksanta

Word up.
I was dead center in front of the soundboard on the bottom step. The mix was crystal! Highlights for me were very venue and crowd related. Besides the beautiful sound, I was very pleased with being able to see, lack of jostling and shoving, the venue did not get super hot where I was, the crowd was less filled with drunken morons than is the norm from what I could tell. Everyone who snapped up a ticket was a true believer and happy to be there on a Wednesday night.
I accidently missed Toshi, he must have played for 10 minutes. Red Kross put a real smile on my face. THAT is Power Pop.
As far as Melvins, the set wasnt one of my faves. Last few times have seen them blast through short/punky/poppy and then end with the sludge. It was nice to hear civilized again, but for me the set really came alive with the finale of disgust/blessened/bit/teeth. Buzz was wailing all Hendrixy, and I really love Steven's playing on those songs. Dale was just a treasure.
Parked down the road in front of La Luna/Pine Street and had a super nostalgia moment for all of the great shows in the 90s we saw. Woke up with a bangover and didnt even do much headbanging. I know im out of shape but pushin 40 is pushin 40, so please you lovely old men, stay healthy! I want to see you every year for another decade! PDX Melvins show #19 in the books.
Also melvins is gay cuz some of their songs are just noise, i tell you this so you all don't buy albums and find out only one two songs is good on them.

deatheats

All I gotta say is the Melvins should play the Doug Fir every time they are in town...Fucking great show!

I was probably standing next to you Black Santa, the wife and I were on the stairs just a bit to the right of center!

blacksanta

Haha i think so, i was groovin in a pierced arrows shirt on the bottom step middle. I think your wife bumped me at one point and apologized, and I was like its all good! I agree, best venue i've seen them in.

Idlehanz

Quote from: blacksanta on September 12, 2019, 11:43:28 AM
Haha i think so, i was groovin in a pierced arrows shirt on the bottom step middle. I think your wife bumped me at one point and apologized, and I was like its all good! I agree, best venue i've seen them in.

I was right behind you both, recording from the booth.

deatheats

Quote from: Idlehanz on September 12, 2019, 11:36:13 PM
I was right behind you both, recording from the booth.

Excellent...Can't wait to see the results!
I swear there were about 12 dudes recording besides you and Kilgore  :lol:

blacksanta

Yeah, can't wait to see/hear the results :)

jules

Seems like there was a fairly healthy Boardie presence in Portland. That's good to see.

von grip

DF is MY personal fav venue in town; was beyond stoked to catch the MIGHTY melvins there, one for the ages- let's hope they play there again 🤞
"im ol' south!"