2 on bass, 2 on drums, 2 on guitar

Started by Pelican, October 23, 2019, 10:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pelican

I keep thinking about how the Melvins over the years have had touring and recording lineups with 2 bass players, 2 drummers, 2 guitar players, but never 2 of everything all at the same time. I wonder if we'll ever get to see/hear a 6 piece double everything iteration of the band? Like, Big Business Melvins, add Kevin and DSS at the same time. Or, Dale/Dillard, Buzz/Jones, Dunn/Pinkus, or, or, or...

amazonAMAZON

Glutton! But really, yes, this would be amazing. Everything loaded.

dirtmerchant

I'd like to see Big Melvins with Mark D on second guitar. Can you imagine the record they could write if they could just get along. 😂

Dumpster D

I wonder if they still keep in touch with Mark D.

I played with some bandmates who I personally would not ever talk to again.

Melvins: playing with double musicians on stage

Me: WOW! Sounds like shit!  :buzz:

black stallion

Quote from: Dumpster D on October 24, 2019, 12:15:03 AM

absolutely not. which is a real shame
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Dumpster D

Quote from: black stallion on October 24, 2019, 02:15:51 AM
Quote from: Dumpster D on October 24, 2019, 12:15:03 AM

absolutely not. which is a real shame

Yeah they had a good run with Mark, He's probably still a melvin after all these years too.

Mount Ambulance

It was almost like that when I saw MelvinsFantomas Big Band ...

Crover/Lombardo - drums
Osborne/Stone - Guitars
Rutmanis/Dunn - Basses
Osborne/Patton - Vocals

Two vocalists too! Patton and Fantomas songs were obviously part of the deal tho ... take that as you will.

But yeah, that would be cool ... my fave lineup was with DSS ... the two guitar thing was great.
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

jules

There were 2 on bass, 2 on drums and 2 on guitar when Melvins played with Flipper. For about fifeen minutes, anyway.

black stallion

Pelican

Quote from: black stallion on October 25, 2019, 04:22:10 AM
I always thought less is better  :D

I agree, most of my favorite Melvins shows were when they played as a 3 piece, it's usually a little more raw. The one big exception being the first Big Business tour when BB opened and kind of seamlessly melted into full Melvins, that show was nuts. Not that I've ever seen a Melvins show I didn't love, I haven't. Just thinking of all the combos they come up with.

I didn't realize they did it with Flipper, that would be rad. Hadn't really considered the Fantomas/Melvins Big Band, I guess that counts too. I'm just not a fan of what Patton did vocally over the Melvins songs on that. It's like "who let the toddler with the pipes in here?"  :lol:

black stallion

Quote from: Pelican on October 25, 2019, 01:05:23 PM
Quote from: black stallion on October 25, 2019, 04:22:10 AM
I always thought less is better  :D

I'm just not a fan of what Patton did vocally over the Melvins songs on that. It's like "who let the toddler with the pipes in here?"  :lol:

yeah, don't make me think to that :facepalm:

amazonAMAZON

I remember liking Patton's work on two of the songs and rejecting the others. I owe that a revisit.

I seem to recall Melvins/Fantomas doing Pigs of the Roman Empire and thinking that was the definitive rendition.