King Buzzo Tour Dates and Roll Call

Started by jules, February 25, 2020, 09:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deatheats

Quote from: 01001010 on May 15, 2020, 12:05:39 PM
Hi there! In theory, I kind of agree with this, but if there's one thing this whole pandemic seems to be underlining, it's that our entire post-industrialized way of doing things is in serious need of a reset. It is kind of scary how this virus affects literally everyone on the entire planet, but I can't help but fall back on the flight emergency oxygen mask analogy. The basic protocol being that you have to take care of yourself before you're going to be able to help anyone else.

I get it, though. I'm a former independent booker, and one of the most important lessons I learned many years ago, is that *if* you can afford to take a hit, then maybe you don't try to sue the small struggling indie club that couldn't pay the band what was agreed on, because they just couldn't get enough people in the door. I've also handed bands money out of my own wallet in situations like that, to make sure they could eat and put gas in their van, and hopefully do better in the next town. I've also worked in clubs where major acts cancelled a tour, and we chose to refund tickets, because frankly, if we were going to go under, we were *not* going to take everyone else's money with us.

It does seem like a good idea to be aware of the needs of other people, but sometimes you're just not going to be able to save the world. There are a *lot* of people in different sectors that are being affected: businesses, homeowners, renters, etc, and I can't help but feel that it's about time the 1% (for want of a better term) should step up and do their part to help keep things working by forgiving debt at some level for anyone whose financial situation has been seriously impacted. Meanwhile, the rest of us have to seriously think about how we can re-invent how we do things, because it's painfully obvious (to me, at least) that the old existing model has been broken for a long time.

Sorry to have apparently derailed this, I'm not trying to preach or pick a fight here, but this is all stuff I've been thinking about for a while now, and this current situation just kind of brings it home, I think.

Oh man, I'm right there with you.
We are in dire need of a complete rehaul of our systems...I could go on for days and days on that topic.

As far as ticket refunds and venues, people can only decide whats best for themselves, and I totally understand people have different obligations on this front, so do whatever you have to do to make ends meet, without, like you said, taking everyone down with you.

GiveMe45

Good sir, you don't have to be polite when scolding me 😉.  Honestly my original post was more of confusion.  I was for some reason under the impression that if a show was officially cancelled then it's automatic refund.  I honestly have no room to be complaining (still working full-time, family/friends are healthy) and the more I have thought about it the less I'm really worried about it.  I haven't even contacted them yet.  I barely ever went to Doug Fir when I lived in Portland and with the current situation who knows the next time I'll have a reason to go there.  Honestly, I think I'm going to ask them about an option to donate the cash value of my tickets to a fund for their employees.  Sure $50 won't do much but if there other people in a position that they could do this, it might help out, even just a little bit.

deatheats

Hehe, no scolding intended, although this discussion has made me think a lot about artists vs venues...

Its been weird trying to determine how to handle all of this...the wife and I would have been in London next week (would have been my first trip to Europe) for some music festivals had this not all gone down and its been really strange figuring out what to do with each of these events.   Ultimately, I guess our focus should be on helping the artists make it through this, perhaps the venues should be a secondary thought?

I honestly do think everyone needs to make this decision for themselves, and there are no correct answers.
Was that sufficiently passive-aggressive?  :lol:

GiveMe45

That's a tough question.  Choosing to be an artist or choosing to be a venue owner to support yourself for a living are both full of risk and uncertainty.  In this particular situation I don't know who would have had a better opportunity to prepare for disaster and have some kind of business continuity plan in case operations are suddenly and unexpectedly halted.  Like you said, not a lot of definitive correct answers. 

No passive-aggressiveness detected! 😉  You actually very tactfully helped me take a step back and think about the bigger picture.  I need to do that more often.  Once we are able to co-mingle again I look forward to buying the first round!

deatheats

jonE5

Buzzo show in Albany, NY still not canceled WTF?
Ticketmaster won't refund the money until its officially Canceled.

Anyone have any idea how to get this made official?

We all know that the tour isn't happening.

Chief Ten Beers

Quote from: jonE5 on May 22, 2020, 09:03:02 AM

I'd email the promoter and find out. That's kind of fucked, probably a ticketbastard thing. Buffalo clearly got cancelled. Now I gotta email the promoter and see if they'll paypal me a refund, since I paid cash @ their box office which is likely closed for awhile.

amazonAMAZON

Nah, the ticket seller doesn't reschedule the event. That's up to the client, which could be the venue or promoter depending on the contract. Once it's rescheduled you get a window for refund. If it's cancelled you get a refund automatically with the big three. Smaller ticket companies at risk of going out of business and resellers are the ones not giving refunds and only doing credits.

Lots of these small clubs and promoters are holding out hope of shows being able to play out. My heart goes out to them.

JUDY

Imagine this. I actually don't think I'd mind it! I'd be able to see over heads and wouldn't have to fight to get up front.

Perfect for Melvins viewing. Looks like a blast  :lol:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/heres-what-americas-first-socially-distant-concert-looked-like-arkansas-travis-mccready-templelive-2671536

amazonAMAZON

How expensive will the tickets have to be to make the rent on a place of that size and with that level of maintenance required.

jonE5

Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on May 22, 2020, 04:48:42 PM
Quote from: jonE5 on May 22, 2020, 09:03:02 AM

I'd email the promoter and find out. That's kind of fucked, probably a ticketbastard thing. Buffalo clearly got cancelled. Now I gotta email the promoter and see if they'll paypal me a refund, since I paid cash @ their box office which is likely closed for awhile.

I sent multiple emails, didn't get any responses back except for Ticketmaster saying that it has to be cancelled in order to issue a refund  :facepalm:   -And that they couldn't give me contact info for the promoter....

Show was supposed to be this Monday, out of nowhere yesterday I got an email saying the show has been canceled and I would be receiving a refund "in as little as 30 days!"

So I got that going for me now  :lol:

I was reminded of this post just yesterday, after watching a 2-1/2 hour Guided By Voices concert that was a variation on this idea. The band performed a live concert in an empty venue, beautifully shot and mixed, and sold tickets through a site called NoonChorus.com
If you purchased a ticket, you had access to the show, with continuous streaming for 96 hours after the initial stream. Also, ticket purchase price includes an audio download of the entire concert. I'm crossing my fingers they'll make the video available as well, but no mention of that at this time. From what I gather on the band's message board, there were virtual tailgate parties galore in every time zone, and after-parties via Zoom, into the wee hours. Links were available so that one could purchase a ticket from a specific link associated with a specific venue in a specific town, which meant that 20% of that ticket purchase would be donated to that specific venue. And of course, there were links to the virtual merch table.

Anyway, Melvins / Buzz could probably do a similar thing, and I'll bet fans would happily shell out to support the band / venue, and give the finger to youtube at the same time, since all Google exists for is to try and track users' habits and mine personal data. And if you want to make it just like a real concert, just have a friend stand in front of your computer screen / TV monitor, and you can try and peer around their head to see the show!

- - - -

Quote from: JUDY on May 23, 2020, 09:16:34 AM
Imagine this. I actually don't think I'd mind it! I'd be able to see over heads and wouldn't have to fight to get up front.

Perfect for Melvins viewing. Looks like a blast  :lol:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/heres-what-americas-first-socially-distant-concert-looked-like-arkansas-travis-mccready-templelive-2671536

John Schuller

Because we probably won't be seeing any proper touring of the Melvins for about another year or so, I will bet we will be getting a lot of opportunities to spend our money in creative ways to help support our Melvins! I am hoping for live streaming concerts, rehearsals, writing sessions, - hell people would probably pay money just to watch them shoot the shit and goof off.

Dumpster D

I'm still totally upset about the cancelling of King Buzzo and Trevor.  :(

von grip

Quote from: Dumpster D on September 23, 2021, 03:38:10 PM
I'm still totally upset about the cancelling of King Buzzo and Trevor.  :(
tis' quite a lil' bummah innit mate
"im ol' south!"