Melvins cover songs strategy

Started by amazonAMAZON, February 02, 2022, 01:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amazonAMAZON

In the Lord of the Flies thread someone brought up that the band tend to cover the hits (sorry I forget who, feel free to credit if you recall.)

This prompted me to wondering... Have they ever covered another band's B-Sides, deep cut, or rarity? "Leech" is one of the only exceptions I can think of, and it sounds more like the tune was gifted rather than covered. "With Yo Heart" was a comp track that wasn't its own single when the Melvins did it.

Here's a few big/hit songs I know
"Spoon Man" lead single
"Jerkin Krokus" double A side single / album track
"Lexicon Devil" leadoff track from EP of same name
"My War" leadoff track from album of same name
"Black Sabbath" & "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" leadoff tracks from albums of same name
"Get Around" Beach Boys hit
"Everybody's Talkin" had been a hit twice already I think.
"Teen Spirit" obviously
"Rambling Man" & "Okie from Muskogee" hits of course
"Blockbuster" leadoff track from the debut EP

God there's so many covers! Haven't even thought through Sausages or Singles 1-12

vince furnier

Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

Oscar

Let Me Roll It was the B-side to Jet and might be a slightly deeper cut considering what else is on Band On The Run but you're right, I can't think of anything too obscure off the top of my head.

Gun Club - Promise Me maybe? Sex Beat being the closest to a hit on that record.

GrimReaper

Quote from: Oscar on February 07, 2022, 08:59:38 AM
Let Me Roll It was the B-side to Jet and might be a slightly deeper cut considering what else is on Band On The Run but you're right, I can't think of anything too obscure off the top of my head.

Gun Club - Promise Me maybe? Sex Beat being the closest to a hit on that record.

Promise Me is the first song that came to my mind too.

Was In Every Dream Home a Heartache a big RM hit? Only really familiar with their album covers.  8-[

I was pleasantly surprised to hear In Every Dream Home a Heartache in the Mindhunter series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0GMd-rOTuQ

Mount Ambulance

Quote from: GrimReaper on February 07, 2022, 09:52:43 AM

Was In Every Dream Home a Heartache a big RM hit? Only really familiar with their album covers.  8-[

I was pleasantly surprised to hear In Every Dream Home a Heartache in the Mindhunter series:

I don't think Dream Home was a "hit" in any way. Fan favorite I might guess. I'd think it'd go down as a deeper cut all things considered.

They use Dream Home for a scene in the movie Wonderland (Val Kilmer, Kate Boswoth) too. Good flick, check it out.
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

))))((((

I can't think of anything too obscure off the top of head
Outside of a few tracks (Teen Spirit, Black Betty, My Generation, Everybody's Talking and the Sabbath and Beach Boys parody), i don't think i have been familiar with ANY of the covers they have done. So each one to me ends up being a "Melvins" owned tune in a sense.

Nizamark

is there a definitive list of every single cover song melvins have done? i would peruse the shit out of that

the bloat

That would be interesting! And lengthy

WGB

Quote from: GrimReaper on February 07, 2022, 09:52:43 AM

Tomahawk covered that Roxy Music song on their first UK tour, so I wonder if that was an influence on the thought process behind it.

Nizamark

the best tomahawk covers were george jones' 'just one more' and the the bad brains combo 'pay to cum'+'how low can a punk get' on the 2013 tour

GrimReaper

http://themelvins.net/wiki/index.php/Songs_Melvins_Have_Covered

Here's the list of covers.

Melvins covered the Ramones at a Bash. Forget which song. Might be Pinhead.

the bloat

That's an extensive list! Yet it still seems to be missing a lot. Melvins pretty much average 2 covers per proper album now, so times that by like, a million. Factor in all the singles, one offs, live shows, could there be as many covers as originals?

Oscar

Quote from: GrimReaper on February 07, 2022, 09:04:28 PM
Melvins covered the Ramones at a Bash. Forget which song. Might be Pinhead.

That's right, it was Pinhead. And we can't forget Today Your Love, Tomorrow The World - perhaps the biggest curveball of them all.

And yeah, they've always had a way of making songs entirely their own, often eclipsing the original.
Station to Station might be a fan favourite but it worked perfectly on Sausages. However, I just can't help but imagine what a TVC15 cover would have sounded like  :shock:

vince furnier

they covered White Punks On Dope by the Tubes. just praise Jeebus they didn't choose to cover the Tubes biggest (s)hit.  :merde: :facepalm: :buzz:
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

Nizamark

yeah melvins covered 'pinhead' at the troubadour in LA in 2010. t'was glorious