The Electric Roach + Five Legged Tour 2022

Started by blewis, April 12, 2022, 08:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vince furnier

Quote from: IanFraser on June 29, 2022, 10:06:47 AM
Hi All.  New guy here.  I must confess my sins and digressions but I'm very new to the Melvins having grown up on the NWOBHM.  Been searching through some stoner/doom metal and finally landed on Buzz & Dale.  I missed them with Ministry in March in New Haven CT and was kicking myself. 

Well I saw them Monday in Hamden CT with my son (15).  His second concert and first club show.  Let me say we were blown away!  We were one guy back from the stage on Buzz's side.  My son was grinning the whole time.  The set was amazing despite me not having the depth to recognize all the songs.  Buzz was intense, focused.  Dale is a MONSTER!  God damn it's fun watching him play, and twice!  Harsh Mellow was cool and really enjoyed Helms Alee greatly except for the guitar (pretentious, 2 minutes tuning between songs, dramatic screaming face with nothing coming out, was it all in the right monitor?).  HA drummer kicked ass (drums and vocals).  The crowd was cool, could have been more enthused, no pit.

I was looking for the set list yesterday and found this forum.  Soon realized they don't mix up the set list on a tour (or from one tour to the next) much.  My son went to the mall yesterday (day after), which he never does, and found Five Legged Dog on vinyl!  Looking forward to building the collection and the deep dive.

Already have the September Irving Plaza (NYC) date on the calendar.  I'd expect the NYC show to be a different vibe from Hamden CT, although sounds like the set list will be very similar.  Your thoughts on Melvins in NYC?
welcome. thanks for the review. glad you and your boy enjoyed it so much.

regarding Helms Alee.... Ben's voice isn't quite what it used to be. on their albums, there has been less of his screaming vox over time with a shift to more lead vox from the gals and that's a good thing, IMO. i've seen them solo twice and opening for The Melvins twice and they sound infinitely better without he Melvins sound guy's treatment. at the Tucson show a couple of weeks ago i could see him screaming and hear nothing in the house mix. also, both times they've opened for the Melvins, the overhead mics are on Dale's cymbals during their set. it made a huge difference in their sound the first time 6 years ago in a bigger venue. just seems lazy and disrespectful. IDK. pick up the mic stands and carry them 6 feet towards the stage.  :? i wasn't blown away by HA the first time i heard them posted on this board in 2014 but after a couple more listens it clicked. now they're one of my favorite bands.
Welcome to my Nightmare!
inbox is currently 82% full. TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK!
"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian

jules

Quote from: IanFraser on June 29, 2022, 10:06:47 AM
Looking forward to building the collection
I recommend longevity! Good luck with this and please post your collection from time to time as it grows. If you ever win the lottery, please message me and I might be able to save you 30 years.

moose

Welcome! Will for sure be the same set list. Sometimes as a tour goes on, they work something up with the openers, like having a guest drummer or singer on a song or two so you never know, they might pull out a surprise. The Melvins are nothing if not consistent, so it's sure to be a good performance.
Well, we'll always have "In the Air Tonight." Will that be your most enduring song?
You know, that song won't lie down. It just won't go away. I mean, there's a Mike Tyson moment associated with it now. It's just bizarre. I guess it has a bit of mystery, a lot of atmosphere, and the drums coming in, pinning people to the wall.

Oscar

50 bucks says this is sadcorps building a new character  :D

I kid, welcome aboard and enjoy the ravenous deep dive - I can't compare anything to the first time I really got into Melvins.

Also prepare for abject poverty.

amazonAMAZON

For this recent set, Houdini and Bullhead are the records you'd want to be best versed in to really enjoy the show. Welcome!

))))((((

From one Ian to another welcome! I heartily recommend investigating the albums 'Hostile Ambient Takeover', 'The Maggot' and '(A) Senile Animal'.

IanFraser

Thanks for the welcome and album advice.  Also for confirming the issue with the Helms Alee sound, too bad.
what was the last time they toured with a second drummer?

FartLips

Quote from: Snivlemdotcom on June 28, 2022, 07:44:41 PM
The 5 Legged Tour will NOT be an acoustic tour.
there you go! confirmed its an acoustic tour! :excited: :excited: :excited: :twisted:
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

Oscar

Quote from: IanFraser on June 29, 2022, 03:37:10 PM

Late 2015 was the last Big Melvins tour to date, right before Steven joined full-time with Jeff Pinkus hopping on and off.
I caught just about every Big Melvins tour and the 2015 leg still stands out as a nice, loose, little reunion.

Edit: and to be "good old days" about for it a second, I really miss hearing the Senile Animal medley live. Ian, you'll know what I mean when you get there.

Bigval

Quote from: Oscar on June 30, 2022, 08:41:32 AM
Quote from: IanFraser on June 29, 2022, 03:37:10 PM

Late 2015 was the last Big Melvins tour to date, right before Steven joined full-time with Jeff Pinkus hopping on and off.
I caught just about every Big Melvins tour and the 2015 leg still stands out as a nice, loose, little reunion.

I'm still shitty with myself for skipping the Australian tour in late 2013 assuming Big Melvins would still be a thing in future, unfortunately never got to see Big Melvins live :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uADoQoDfcNU

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote"The Electric Roach Tour"

Tickets for the six-week run go on-sale this Friday at 10 am local time. Helms Alee and Harsh Mellow open.

Dates:
June 15 Long Beach, CA Alex's Bar
June 16 Pioneertown, CA Pappy & Harriet's
June 18 Tucson, AZ Club Congress                     Vince Furnier
June 21 New Orleans, LA One Eyed Jack's
June 22 Birmingham, AL Saturn
June 23 Knoxville, TN Bijou Theatre
June 24 Carrboro, NC Cat's Cradle
June 25 Richmond, VA The Broadberry
June 27 Hamden, CT Space Ballroom
June 28 Providence, RI Fete Music Hall
June 29 Syracuse, NY The Westcott Theatre
July 1 Bethlehem, PA Musikfest Café at the ArtsQuest Center
July 2 Huntington, WV The Loud
July 3 Detroit, MI El Club
July 5 Madison, WI High Noon Saloon
July 6 Davenport, IA Racoon Motel
July 7 Des Moines, IA Wooly's
July 8 Minneapolis, MN Grumpy's
July 9 Fargo, ND The Hall at Fargo Brewing Company
July 10 Sioux Falls, SD Icon Lounge

July 12 Salt Lake City, UT The Metro Music Hall
July 14 Bozeman, MT The ELM
July 15 Spokane, WA Knitting Factory
July 16 Portland, OR Hawthorne Theatre
July 17 Eugene, OR Sessions Music Hall
July 19 Roseville, CA Goldfield Trading Post
July 20 Berkeley, CA Cornerstone Berkeley

"The Five Legged Tour" dates:
with 'We Are the Asteroid'

Sept 5  CA SF  Great American Music Hall
Sept 6  CA San Jose The Ritz
Sept 7  CA Bakersfield  Temblor Brewing Company
Sept 8  CA Petaluma Mystic Theatre
Sept 9  CA Felton  Felton Music Hall
Sept 10  CA Fresno  Strummer's
Sept 12  NV Las Vegas  Backstage Bar & Billiards
Sept 13  AZ Flagstaff Yucca North
Sept 14  NM Santa Fe  The Bridge at Santa Fe Brewing Company
Sept 16  CO Boulder  Fox Theatre
Sept 17  CO Ft. Collins  Aggie Theatre
Sept 19  NE Omaha  The Waiting Room
Sept 20  MO Kansas City  recordBar
Sept 21  MO St. Louis Old Rock House
Sept 22  KY Louisville  Headliners Music Hall
Sept 23  IN Indianapolis  The Vogue Theatre
Sept 24  MI Grand Rapids  The Pyramid Scheme
Sept 26  OH Columbus  A&R Music Bar
Sept 27  PA Lancaster  Tellus360
Sept 29  NY New York  Irving Plaza
Sept 30  NJ Asbury Park  The Stone Pony
Oct 1  DC Washington  Black Cat
Oct 3  NC Raleigh  The Pour House
Oct 4  NC Charlotte  Visulite Theatre
Oct 5  SC Greenville  The Radio Room
Oct 6  GA Savannah  District Live
Oct 7  GA Athens  40 Watt Club
Oct 9  FL Jacksonville  Jack Rabbits
Oct 10  FL Gainesville  High Dive
Oct 11  FL Orlando  The Social
Oct 12  FL Ft. Lauderdale  Culture Room
Oct 13  FL Tampa Orpheum Theater
Oct 15  FL Pensacola  Vinyl Music Hall
Oct 16  LA Baton Rouge  Chelseas Live
Oct 17  MS Jackson Duling Hall
Oct 18  TN Memphis Growlers
Oct 19  AR Little Rock  Revolution! Music Room
Oct 21  OK Tulsa  Cain's Ballroom
Oct 22  OK Oklahoma City  Beer City Music Hall
Oct 23  TX Denton  Rubber Gloves
Oct 25  TX El Paso  Lowbrow Palace
Oct 28  CA Palm Springs  The Alibi
Oct 29  CA LA  The Halloween Freakout
ho35uV.md.jpg" border="0
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

the bloat

Just caught the Spokane set last night! One of the best shows that I have seen them play! After helms alee, they hit the stage hard, opening with oven and lovely butterfly. Buzz was really energized and nailed song after song.They mostly stayed in their "classic" era, playing songs from Lysol, Bullhead, Houdini. With Teeth sounded great. Two new songs in the middle of the set, lumbering and heavy. This was the first time I had seen Steven live, and while a total goofball on stage, he's a very capable bass player, handling each Melvins song with ease.

These guys are seriously the best band ever!

))))((((

Quote from: the bloat on July 16, 2022, 09:26:13 AM
Two new songs in the middle of the set, lumbering and heavy.
Mr. Dog
Never Say You're Sorry

vince furnier

Quote from: the bloat on July 16, 2022, 09:26:13 AM
Just caught the Spokane set last night! One of the best shows that I have seen them play! After helms alee, they hit the stage hard, opening with oven and lovely butterfly. Buzz was really energized and nailed song after song.They mostly stayed in their "classic" era, playing songs from Lysol, Bullhead, Houdini. With Teeth sounded great. Two new songs in the middle of the set, lumbering and heavy. This was the first time I had seen Steven live, and while a total goofball on stage, he's a very capable bass player, handling each Melvins song with ease.

These guys are seriously the best band ever!
dude. Steven has been the bass man on the thunderstick for the Melbins for 6+ years!  :shock: :lol:
Welcome to my Nightmare!
inbox is currently 82% full. TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK!
"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian

deatheats

It's been almost two and a half years since my last Melvins live show (Slims in SF)...

Portland's journey through the post apocalyptic wasteland that is live music (oh wait that's just Burnside), without the Melvins, is almost at its end.  Is that a glimmer of hope I see on the horizon tonight at the Hawthorne theater?