Performing unreleased songs

Started by ))))((((, June 15, 2022, 11:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

))))((((

Apparently there is some potentially new unreleased song titled 'Mr Dog' performed on this new tour. It makes me wonder if Melvins have ever previewed new songs prior to their release before. I'm fairly sure they have never done so in the time i've been a fan since 2006. Minus cover songs of course. Am i wrong or is that something they used to maybe do back in the early days?

black stallion

I might be wrong but they previewed Suicide In Progress at a Roadburn gig before NWB came out. remember thinking, oh cool that's a new song
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

AxelFoley

Quote from: black stallion on June 15, 2022, 12:46:43 PM
I might be wrong but they previewed Suicide In Progress at a Roadburn gig before NWB came out. remember thinking, oh cool that's a new song

That's correct, I can remember that they also played (at least) Billy Fish ahead of the NWB release. I think some parts of the song were slightly different compared to the final album version.

EDIT: The videos I saw all those years back are still up on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-je6vWHiFzY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbVmYtyO8Kw

dead mike

They played "A Growing Disgust" with the BB lineup before they recorded it as Lite.

https://youtu.be/CRQwrhZLMN0?t=495

(I'm somewhere in front of the stage in this vid.)
Can you all shut your damn cocks for one second? Music is the only thing that's real in this queef world of dildo ass chodes.

- hemispheres

CoryCory

Two songs on Basses Loaded have been performed live prior to it's release. Portions of "Planet Destructo" was played on one of the band's 1996 tours. "Captain Comedown" was played on the band's 2015 tour. Given it was on the Le Butcherettes split prior.

Chief Ten Beers

IIRC the 2006 first US BigMelvins tour in early fall had most of Senile Animal in the set, a month or so before the album hit the shelves. This was in the pre-streaming/bandcamp days. I don't think they even had a myspace page. :lol:

))))((((

Quote from: black stallion on June 15, 2022, 12:46:43 PM
Oh yeah, you're right i remember that now.

Quote from: dead mike on June 15, 2022, 03:10:00 PM
They played "A Growing Disgust" with the BB lineup before they recorded it as Lite.
Being that the album came out less than two months after that gig i would assume it was at least already recorded with Trevor but still well done on remembering about the song. That one passed me by and i had forgot about that. Funny how much of a mainstay A Growing Disgust has become with the band live.

Quote from: CoryCory on June 15, 2022, 04:42:50 PM
Two songs on Basses Loaded have been performed live prior to it's release. Portions of "Planet Destructo" was played on one of the band's 1996 tours. "Captain Comedown" was played on the band's 2015 tour. Given it was on the Le Butcherettes split prior.
I knew about Planet Destructo. I haven't heard any bootlegs of what it might have sounded like back in the day but i'm not sure if i count that one since it was in it's early form. As for Captain Comedown you are correct but again i would say that it was already released at that point albeit on a lesser known split release.

Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on June 15, 2022, 04:53:39 PM
IIRC the 2006 first US BigMelvins tour in early fall had most of Senile Animal in the set, a month or so before the album hit the shelves. This was in the pre-streaming/bandcamp days.
I wonder which songs from the album they omitted on that occasion. I suppose back then bands could get away with previewing new songs a bit more than presently. Nowadays we've all heard a new song performed live a day or so - or in some cases immediately - after the show!

amazonAMAZON

They played some new shit tonight. A big section of the show. Felt like four songs, but could have been two or six. I don't know. I lost my mind. The show was so good. The opening sequence with "Oven" and "It's Shoved" was fierce as fuck. The medley of "Hooch" and "Honey Bucket" is dope. What is now the middle section is amazing.

"Never Say" was in there. Its main riff section crushes.

New tunes weren't all as tight as the classics, but I am so excited nonetheless. There is a ripping or perhaps rippling new riff that I can't wait to hear again.

Helms Alee was really masterful and Harsh Mellow with Dale scratched an itch I didn't know I needed scratched so bad.

Merch table was off the hook. Littered with letterpress.

))))((((

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on June 16, 2022, 03:17:54 AM
They played some new shit tonight. A big section of the show. Felt like four songs, but could have been two or six. I don't know. I lost my mind. The show was so good.

New tunes weren't all as tight as the classics, but I am so excited nonetheless. There is a ripping or perhaps rippling new riff that I can't wait to hear again.
Cool! Thanks for sharing aA, glad you had a great time. Being that it's just listed as Mr Dog on the setlist, i wonder if the new songs were all just one long song? A bit like how Rat Faced Granny, The Hawk and You've Never Been Right were originally one single song that got broken up into individual tracks. I can't wait to see/hear that section of the live show.

Dumpster D

Wow, sounds like it was a great Show!!

tinycorkscrew

They played Hung Bunny/Roman Bird Dog at a show in early 1992, a long time before Lysol was released. I think they also played Sacrifice and Ballad of Dwight Frye at that show, but I can't remember for sure.

GrimReaper

The songs are works in progress!

Set list said "Billy the Fish"!

Didn't the single title have a bad word? then became Savage Hippy?

))))((((

Quote from: GrimReaper on June 16, 2022, 09:14:23 PM
Didn't the single title have a bad word? then became Savage Hippy?
Yeah that one was first titled 'Real Fucking Nasty'.