Bad Mood Rising

Started by CoryCory, July 28, 2022, 07:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Afterbirthmilkshake

I'm kind of loving the anticipation that I'm feeling about hearing this record. It's not immediately available digitally so it's driving me nuts. It feels like when I was waiting to hear Pigs of the Roman Empire for the first time.

It really shows how all of this immediate gratification kills parts of music.

von grip

"im ol' south!"

))))((((

I heard the album a few times. I thought it might be shorter, but it's a decent 40 minutes in duration.

I wouldn't say it is their best since (A)SA as was mentioned here but it's good. It gets a fairly solid 8/10 from me. Also i wouldn't say it is Steven's best one yet (Five Legged Dog is for me!) but to these ears i'd probably place it above Basses Loaded and PAT. Somewhere on par with the Death half of A Walk With Love & Death.

It is so interesting comparing the studio version of 'Mister Dog...' with the live one. I think i prefer the live rendition. It feels more coherent whereas the studio one feels a bit disconnected and made up of sections. I suppose that comes with them playing it more and living with it for a while. Equally i noticed that in this recording they switched one of the lyrics from the live version. I was curious to hear how Dylan Carlson would fit into this song and you can clearly hear his contributions. Although i do feel like they seem a bit jarring at times - like he is playing along to a totally different song than what the band are playing. At 14 minutes one of the longest Melvins tracks of recent times!

Both 'My Discomfort Is Radiant' and 'It Won't Or It Might' feel VERY Melvins. Somewhat reminiscent of previous songs or Melvins riffs but i can't put my finger on which. Both cool songs. The beginning of 'Hammering' sounds like a long lost Rolling Stones song!! You can clearly hear the influence. 'The Receiver And The Empire State' is my least liked track and for me feels a bit weird as a closer. Perhaps this is emphasized further since it is so short compared to the relatively longer songs elsewhere. Ultimately i think the first half of Bad Mood Rising is better than the second half. Mr Dog and Never Say being the best tracks for me.

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Well, this was fun to see...

vince furnier

looks like i gotta fire up the ol phonograph!  :lol: :facepalm:
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

jules

Aw, man - I just cleaned off my laptop monitor!
I could have just splashed some chili sauce on it and watched the video for the splatter experience!

Quote from: Oscar on September 14, 2022, 11:43:47 AM

https://youtu.be/ftcy5WqW4cU

black stallion

Don't want to check this album before buying a copy of it, problem is ,will it be available in Europe? :? Has anyone from Europe ordered this yet?

buddy holiday

Quote from: black stallion on September 14, 2022, 12:24:12 PM
Don't want to check this album before buying a copy of it, problem is ,will it be available in Europe? :? Has anyone from Europe ordered this yet?
Amrep said think indie distribution should have the black vinyl... check the link below... not familiar with italian indie stores, but swiss ones often work with cargo records for example.
I think your milano indie store of choice should be able to preorder.

http://www.thinkindie.com/store-finder

black stallion

Quote from: buddy holiday on September 14, 2022, 12:36:12 PM
Quote from: black stallion on September 14, 2022, 12:24:12 PM
Amrep said think indie distribution should have the black vinyl... check the link below... not familiar with italian indie stores, but swiss ones often work with cargo records for example.
I think your milano indie store of choice should be able to preorder.

http://www.thinkindie.com/store-finder

thanks buddy!

Oscar

I couldn't find anything either so I figured it'd be ok to post the link for the impatient ones. It's all about the tunes after all, despite Youtube's heavy compression.

Also I'm just now noticing that the boys seem to be quite fond of dad joke puns for album titles lately.
Basses Loaded, Five Legged Dog, Tres Cabrones, PAT, Bad Mood Rising...yikes.