Bad Mood Rising

Started by CoryCory, July 28, 2022, 07:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacksanta

Finally listened to it on my big stereo. I haven't enjoyed an album front to back like this since Bulls and the Bees. I'll go on a limb and say this might be the Steven era HAT or ASA.
Also melvins is gay cuz some of their songs are just noise, i tell you this so you all don't buy albums and find out only one two songs is good on them.

amazonAMAZON

For sure.

I keep picking up on new things. In "It Won't Or It Might" there's a guitar solo in the back half that has a real warm blistering tone like J Mascis/Dinosaur Jr. Love it.

blacksanta

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on October 01, 2022, 08:52:04 AM
For sure.

I keep picking up on new things. In "It Won't Or It Might" there's a guitar solo in the back half that has a real warm blistering tone like J Mascis/Dinosaur Jr. Love it.

Favorite tune
Also melvins is gay cuz some of their songs are just noise, i tell you this so you all don't buy albums and find out only one two songs is good on them.

the bloat

Quoteisn't that the difference between Joe Preston and Jared Warren tho? just depends on the execution whether it sits right with your tastes and your preconceived notions of what a bass player should be doing in this particular band.

Totally! It wouldn't be as fun if all the bass players sounded the same!

burgerhead

Great, just great - I missed the CD release on AR.  When did it go up?  Is this getting a real Ipecac release any time soon?  Does anyone know anything?  Argh. 

))))((((

Quote from: burgerhead on October 01, 2022, 08:30:49 PM
Great, just great - I missed the CD release on AR.  When did it go up?  Is this getting a real Ipecac release any time soon?  Does anyone know anything?  Argh.
It went up on Shopox about a week or two ago. I know their initial batch sold out quick and they got more copies in so that may happen a second time now that it has sold out yet again. It's available at some record stores solely in the States too apparently. Currently there is NO intention for it to be released on Ipecac or at least that hasn't been revealed if there indeed is. That could maybe change but i doubt it. It is an AmRep album. All in all this whole sorry saga has been something of a disaster both in fan communication and in availability. Why they didn't just let Haze do the art ones and splatter versions and put the regular version out on Ipecac like normal is utterly baffling.

))))((((

I was going to rate the tracks on the album from best to least liked. But then i realised that for me that is basically the same order as the tracklist!!! 'It Won't Or It Might' is the only one i feel a bit conflicted on or unsure about. I love the rocking opening but then feel a little less enthused about the second half of the song. So i'm not too sure where to place that one.

the bloat

QuoteI was going to rate the tracks on the album from best to least liked. But then i realised that for me that is basically the same order as the tracklist!!!

I can see some truth to this, however, I would bump up The Receiver and the Empire State to middle of the pack territory. It has the spirit of Magic Pig Detective, a no-nonsense rocker and a satisfying end to the album. Hammering is probably my least favorite. It's cool that their trying to do a Rolling Stones thing, but it hasn't clicked with me yet. Maybe more listens will reveal its genius

amazonAMAZON

"Hammering" does have a Stones feel to the laid-back groove. But it's got enough of that twisted metal sound that the Stones never approach. Other just generally getting stuck in my head, this song is about the contrast of those two modalities.

black stallion

still waiting for my copy  impatiently, c'mon how does it take from NY to Italy?  :evil:
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Colonel Cheese

Quote from: black stallion on October 03, 2022, 11:35:13 AM
still waiting for my copy  impatiently, c'mon how does it take from NY to Italy?  :evil:

Can't wait to hear your take on it.

black stallion

Quote from: Colonel Cheese on October 03, 2022, 12:44:33 PM
Quote from: black stallion on October 03, 2022, 11:35:13 AM

Can't wait to hear your take on it.

it's because of reviews coming from great fans like you that made me even more excited to hear it!  :D

))))((((

Quote from: the bloat on October 02, 2022, 09:51:11 PM
I would bump up The Receiver and the Empire State to middle of the pack territory. It has the spirit of Magic Pig Detective, a no-nonsense rocker and a satisfying end to the album.
You know, i'm actually coming around to that song quite a bit lately. At first i thought it was a throwaway track. A weird conclusion to the record. But now i'm growing to like it and feel it works where it is placed.

amazonAMAZON

I love how that beginning just steamrolls the tabla

black stallion