Author Topic: Are Melvins still on Ipecac Records ?  (Read 862 times)

Offline >>>JZS<<<

• Handler
    • View Profile
Are Melvins still on Ipecac Records ?
« on: September 02, 2022, 02:13:42 PM »

Just cause the preorder of the regular black vinyl of ‘bad mood rising’ is listed as a AmRep release.
Usually Ipecac would have something up by now…. & no CDs listed.

Offline ))))((((

• Has a copy of the vinney/buzzo interview
  • Tehom
    • View Profile
Re: Are Melvins still on Ipecac Records ?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 02:34:52 PM »
In a recent interview Buzz mentioned BOTH AmRep and Ipecac as labels the band work with. So i think we will still see this continue in the future. Although after this album perhaps the standard model we have grown accustomed to may change a little.

I too have seen the mention of the vinyl as being under AmRep. That seems to be correct too since Haze has promoted the album much more than he would normally. So it does seem incredibly likely that this will ONLY be on his label. The CD's are still planned to come according to him. Remember this album still hasn't been officially released other than the art versions. I'm sure once the band promote it and the links are up, we shall see CD's among the products listed.

Offline amazonAMAZON

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 06:28:18 PM »
If this is not going to be on Ipecac, then it will be the fourth? Fifth? AmRep only full length release? Prick, Honky, Alive at the Fucker Club, Singles 1-12...

Doesn't mean anything in particular. Could be that Ipecac didn't offer enough advance or couldn't commit to the release dates, or Melvins and Haze just wanted to see if it makes a difference to not use Ipecac, or Haze needed the income. Who knows. It'll be a real bummer I'd this doesn't end up on steaming services as I think it's stronger than any of the last releases as a whole. But hey there's no shortage of great Melvins tunes available to stream. I just want them to keep touring and releasing.

Offline CoryCory

• shit talking thieves
  • 2008 - 2019, 2020 - ?
    • View Profile
    • Doodlehound
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 08:50:11 AM »
Not gonna lie Im digging the weird air of mystery to this release. It's a change of pace from the usual on-the-nose pre-planned fare.

Online vince furnier

• Handler
  • see my only mind explode, when I've gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 09:29:05 AM »
i thought this was settled. what do you think, this means Relapse records or something?

Mackie has whipped up some great art for the regular release version, which will be available to stores and mail-order in both LP & CD! We'll be unveiling the Mackie art soon. 

I don't think the limited stuff AmRep does gets released in stores so that all but confirms an Ipecac or another mainstream label release is happening.
Welcome to my Nightmare!

"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian

Offline ))))((((

• Tehom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 11:06:02 AM »
Not gonna lie Im digging the weird air of mystery to this release.
I can't say i'm enjoying it myself. Quite the opposite in fact. I like clarity. Nothing about this has been very well organsied. I mean initially Haze said it was coming out early August and then the proper one late August!

It's a change of pace from the usual on-the-nose pre-planned fare.
I can understand that some fans might like something different, but personally i REALLY like the whole hype building around a new release. I like when they first get announced and there is always a new photo of the band and articles describing it and a few soundbites from Buzz or such. All that is really exciting to me. In comparison Bad Mood Rising hasn't garnered anywhere near that excitement for me. It's rollout has been something of a damp squid. Just little bits drip fed out which (for me) dulls my anticipation a bit. I much prefer the big BAM!!! New Melvins album announced!!! type of thing.

Offline amazonAMAZON

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2022, 04:14:59 PM »
How is someone seemingly averse to excitement and conversely excited for routine so into the Melvins? Not a personal attack, I'm just curious if the somewhat confrontational aspect of the band's output is unwelcome. I love that they keep fucking with us. Colossus, Prick, Jacksonville/Dallas, Shit Sandwich, Ronsons, even when they frustrate me they keep it exciting. The variants, the limited art, the maggots in some ham packs. It feels so human that this band doesn't get too stagnant or routine.

Offline ))))((((

• Tehom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2022, 05:04:15 PM »
How is someone seemingly averse to excitement and conversely excited for routine so into the Melvins? Not a personal attack, I'm just curious if the somewhat confrontational aspect of the band's output is unwelcome.
I wouldn't say their confrontational outlook, as you describe it, is unwelcome to me. As they should, they do as they please and i hope that would continue. I'm 100% for artists following the path they wish to take. I suppose for myself (and most fans of anything) we have our own personal preferences, opinions or things that niggle us. Some of us would like to see one thing while others may wish for something else. I know as a person i am very particular about consistency. I hate when an artist or a magazine or website or whatever it is has established a certain style or approach and then they alter it or seem to go outside of that perceived border. With regard to Melvins i have had to accept that the band will never fit into a neat little box. Which in a way is also their "thing". So i guess i accept it on those terms. On the totality of it all. That doesn't mean i necessarily like every decision they make be it musical or otherwise. Yet i know that at the very least, a good 60% of the time i will always appreciate and enjoy what is offered up. Like John Peel said of The Fall "you may not always like what you get but still, it's The Fall". I'm glad stuff exists than it not existing.

Offline Afterbirthmilkshake

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 11:14:28 AM »
I kind of like it. It brought me back to reading the bbs, it's kinds like the Hostile Ambient Takeover days are back again.

Offline Bigval

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2022, 07:16:55 AM »
Yes they are, in the latest Ipecac newsletter the label said they will be doing special releases and reissues for the Melvins 40th anniversary next year.

Online vince furnier

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2022, 07:24:25 AM »
it's interesting how many labels all of their various projects are on though. Dinosaur Jr is the same.

Melvins - Ipecac, AmRep, Third Man, Boner
Fantomas - Ipecac
Dale Crover Band - Joyful Noise
Altamont - Man's Ruin, Valley King
King Dunn - Riverworm

Welcome to my Nightmare!

Offline ))))((((

• Tehom
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2022, 09:05:30 AM »
You'll kick yourself for this, but you missed out Atlantic!!

Online vince furnier

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2022, 09:28:39 AM »
You'll kick yourself for this, but you missed out Atlantic!!
i'm just talking about things that are being released currently. even scrolled thru the discography on wiki  :lol:
Welcome to my Nightmare!