Melvins songs that reuse the same riff

Started by ))))((((, April 16, 2024, 04:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

))))((((

There are at least 3 times riffs have been reused identically in other songs that i know of. Are there any more?

The Man With The Laughing Hand Is Dead
A History Of Bad Men

Dawn Of The Locusts
Bummer Conversation

Bird Animal
Pain Equals Funny

black stallion

that song from the first Buzz solo album and the At The Stake version on Five Legged Dog?
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

neverabreak

Pain Equals Funny (from ~ 10:00) <> Boris

z

Quote from: ))))(((( on April 16, 2024, 04:01:57 PM1.
The Man With The Laughing Hand Is Dead
A History Of Bad Men
Chromed Smoke (from A Purge of Dissidents soundtrack)

the bloat

QuoteChromed Smoke (from A Purge of Dissidents soundtrack)

Didn't know Melvins had tunes on this soundtrack. How does one listen to this soundtrack? Not finding it on any streaming services

z

black stallion

wonder if this thing is intentional or not, probably Buzz wants to confuse or piss fans off a bit

amazonAMAZON

I'm convinced that "Pain = Funny" was at least partly assembled from Roy and Dale playing actual Melvins tunes. Like there's obviously Boris happening there. But I also think I hear something from Stag and something from Lysol.

))))((((

It wasn't too clear, but in one of the recent interviews Buzz said something about Toshi made a rock mix of Bird Animal when they were doing Gift Of Sacrifice. That this is the version we hear at the start of the song. So how formed that was is anyone's guess. From how they said it i couldn't tell if Toshi recorded that bit and then kept it by accident and then Buzz heard it more recently and included it as the intro to the song.

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on May 08, 2024, 01:57:30 AMLike there's obviously Boris happening there.
It's definitely got that Boris thing that Buzz was doing on the last Melvins tour. Where he would play it super slow and on his own at the end of the song.

black stallion

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on May 08, 2024, 01:57:30 AMI'm convinced that "Pain = Funny" was at least partly assembled from Roy and Dale playing actual Melvins tunes. Like there's obviously Boris happening there. But I also think I hear something from Stag and something from Lysol.

ah,that would make things possibly weirder than what already are

Quote from: ))))(((( on May 08, 2024, 04:05:10 AMIt wasn't too clear, but in one of the recent interviews Buzz said something about Toshi made a rock mix of Bird Animal when they were doing Gift Of Sacrifice. That this is the version we hear at the start of the song. So how formed that was is anyone's guess. From how they said it i couldn't tell if Toshi recorded that bit and then kept it by accident and then Buzz heard it more recently and included it as the intro to the song.

My least favourite part of the album

))))((((

Quote from: black stallion on May 08, 2024, 05:54:22 AMMy least favourite part of the album
Do you think you might like it more if the solo song had never existed? I keep wondering that about myself, i think part of why i don't like it is because it refers back. It's like if they put out a new song that featured the beginning of Honey Bucket or something.

black stallion

i like the album, though that part is just generic and sounds a bit "gay" to my ears...also this thing to recycle riffs contrasts with Buzz opinion that all artists except Melvins are lazy, don't you think?

))))((((

Quote from: black stallion on May 08, 2024, 06:30:26 AMi like the album, though that part is just generic and sounds a bit "gay" to my ears...also this thing to recycle riffs contrasts with Buzz opinion that all artists except Melvins are lazy, don't you think?
Yes, i know what you mean on both counts. It's an odd song how it starts like that then ends up somewhere else. Maybe Toshi just presented him with the old recording and Buzz simply decided to not discard it. I can imagine him being "we worked on that so i'm not going to NOT use it".

black stallion

I think that Buzz and Dale wanted to release an album without having too much time to spend in the studio and/or in the songwriting process, result is still good but a little weird , like a copy paste, especially the first track. also drums seem not totally in synch with the music at times