Author Topic: 11/04/2005 Crystal Ballroom Portland, OR w/ Jello Biafra, Altamont  (Read 15212 times)

Offline blacksanta

• 1 ton of Mayo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.org
Blacksanta will be wearing a Haunted Mansion shirt and I will be with my Dad who looks like Santa Claus.I'm 24, chubby, white, black frame glasses. Find me and buy me a Terminator!!! or 12. Full review will be forthcoming after the show. CAN'T WAIT FOR SOME FUCKIN' MELVINS!!! 8)
Also melvins is gay cuz some of their songs are just noise, i tell you this so you all don't buy albums and find out only one two songs is good on them.

Offline jhirte

• Fears SNIVLEM
    • View Profile
Re: 11/04 Crystal ballroom
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 02:33:40 PM »
My tix number is 005! haahh
everyone is probably going to Paul McCartney or the Decemberists.... LOSERS!

JELLVINS BITCH

Offline mumu

• melvins is gay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 10:09:06 PM »
My tix number is 005! haahh
everyone is probably going to Paul McCartney or the Decemberists.... LOSERS!

JELLVINS BITCH
Holy crap, I've got number 006!!!  :P
It's all fucking good-dini as far as I'm concerned. Then again, I'd eat a MELVINS deep fried turd. GO MELVINS!!

-Smellis[/i]

Offline jhirte

• Fears SNIVLEM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 09:50:59 AM »
no you didn't. I actually had that one too (for friend).. hahaha

nice try! I know you wanted to sit next to me!

Offline blacksanta

• 1 ton of Mayo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 02:22:32 PM »
Well, no one bought me a beer :x but i was wearing a Pirates shirt anyway......my eardrums are blown to bits. Started the night off with a strawberry blunt. Got there after the doors opened. Ticketmaster sold us phony tickets through a computer glitch, so somehow I had to explain myself.

The Hunchies sucked balls. The band played semi-mediocre garage rock, but the singer's monotone Iggy/Reed imitation was horrible.

Altamont was great.

Melvins set was wayyyyy to short but I was expecting that. DSS would be a great permanant addition. 1st time I've seen Pigs and Pope live. The energy level was on high through the whole set and the cut off was like blueballs, I'm definitley jonesing for a Melvins headliner soon.
Pigs of the Roman Empire: HHHEEAAVVVYYY
amazon: FFFFAAAASSSSSTTTT
AMAZON: Still not one of my favorites live, but was the best version I've seen them do.
The Bloated Pope: Fucking brutal, this one was sick.
Let it All Be: A live favorite, the crowd was yelling along and bouncing around like pinballs.
Hooch: Not one of my favorites, but pretty heavy bottom end and big Crover bass kicks had me screaming along.
Night Goat: Probably the highlight, DSS played the intro slow and low, and it built up to it's slow climax, slowest pit i've ever seen.
Then the ski masks and Jello.......

Jello rocked the house down. What a performer. I thought his political rants were entertaining, his energy level was great, and he was obviously having a ball. Furthermore, with a 50/50 mix between Melvins/Jello fans in the audience, the idea of the ski masks made more sense. The Melvins became the greatest anonymous punk band in the world, while the attention was kept focused on the frontman. I wasn't annoyed, bummed out, or feeling cheated out of more Melvins. They played their roles and rocked the house down while jello did his thing. It was a great performance and a real fun time.

My only complaint is that Security were acting like dicks. they kicked a buddy of mine out for crowd surfing, even though Jello was doing the same thing and even admonished security for kicking the kids out. And yeah, if you saw Santa in the pit, that was my dad.
Also melvins is gay cuz some of their songs are just noise, i tell you this so you all don't buy albums and find out only one two songs is good on them.

Offline jhirte

• Fears SNIVLEM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 04:06:22 PM »
good review.
 I saw Santa. he was right accross from me. in the kiddies area.  I ventured in the kiddies side for some closer pics pit was impressive for the Crystal Ballroom. havent seen a nice one like it since the last time the Melvins played there.
my buddy got a setlist after the show. both melvins/jellvins. grr!! I wanted it!

easiest night of taping I've had at the Crystal in a LOONNGGG time to. everyone but one person was very respectful and didn't try climbing through all our gear.

Offline blacksanta

• 1 ton of Mayo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 11:31:39 PM »
For some reason the sound in the kiddies area is better, I have to say. The 21+ area kinda sucks unless yr up against the fence. I'm too short!!! Let me know if/when/where you post your pics, I'd love to see 'em.

Offline blacksanta

• 1 ton of Mayo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 05:49:49 PM »
BLACK SANTA IS A SHORT BALL SUCKER

Sorry JennyRamone, Thee Hunches sucked, the singer was just grating......take him away you'd have a semi-decent unoriginal suburbangaragerocktrio. I've never seen so many people break out in laughter at the sound of that heroinsheik's voice. The drummer was killer, he needs to start his own band.

klump

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 06:31:15 PM »

Melvin's set was pretty weird without Rutmnanis' snake dance...(those punk kids will buy anything)...Night Goat always crushes even with a substandard Bass player.

substandard??
Oh yeah! I forgot, you must be one of those morons we got here :lol:

Offline Vcavallo

• influx of doom
  • louisville lip service
  • colophon of doubt
    • View Profile
    • my personal website
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 07:17:29 PM »
substandard??

i can't say whether or not he is a moron, but i think he is an asshole for being insulting and condescending about santa's opinion.  uncalled for, if you ask me.  blacksanta is a good fellow and i don't like him being insulted.  maybe it was meant in good humor, but it didn't seem as such, and is still inappropriate in my opinion. 

anyway, i have no permanent grudge against you, lemmy.  it would just be nice if people were nice.
Vinney "only takes 15 years to make good on his promises" Cavallo

norecess

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 03:04:43 AM »
anyway, i have no permanent grudge against you, lemmy.  it would just be nice if people were nice.

Wasn't he one of those bastards from the Ipecac board?

Offline jhirte

• Fears SNIVLEM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 04:23:16 AM »
Since the Crystal redid the sound, it actually sounds pretty friggin good in there! (compared to what it did sound like).

Offline chopklop

• INDEEEEEED
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 11:20:54 AM »

klump

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 11:42:50 AM »
substandard??

i can't say whether or not he is a moron, but i think he is an asshole for being insulting and condescending about santa's opinion.

Offline Vcavallo

• influx of doom
  • louisville lip service
  • colophon of doubt
    • View Profile
    • my personal website
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 03:18:48 PM »

Lemiggy right? Jesus I hope it's not that guy. I think he's 90% of the reason they shut down the Ipecac board.

let's not give him that much credit.  he's probably just some lonely curmudgeon.

an ill-tempered person filled with resentment and stubborn notions.
whoever thought the last two words of a definition could make me laugh out loud?
me
Vinney "only takes 15 years to make good on his promises" Cavallo