Hog log

Quote from: tajiri
Quote from: Hog logWHO is David Bowie ?

:?:  :?:  :?:

8)

Are you serious?????  LOL

what do you think about it ?

Hog log

I wonder why Phil Collins & Elton John do not appear on this list ...

Am I serious ?

Kurva

DubEMC

Black Flag's best album was " My War " Public Image Limited " Metal Box/Second Edition " is lots better than " Flowers of Romance ". Flipper is always great, surprised the Flesheaters didn't make the list

Hog

They aren't on the list ...

where are they ?

Hog log

Quote from: HogThey aren't on the list ...

where are they ?

It was me ... no log in for hog log

TOOL

As far as you guys go putting down the Sex Pistols, I'm just sorry you missed them.  They were the Beatles of punk.  Music was going through a horrible phase.  There was almost nothing you could listen to.  They busted open a whole new type of music that most of the world coudn't stand, to say the least.  You have no idea what their impact was to those of us listening.  Without them, there would be no Melvins, Black Flag, or most of the bands we listen to now.  It was one of those few times in history where a band really did make a difference and changed the whole music scene.

I know the album doesn't sound as powerful now as it was then, but I still have more respect for their music and what they did than any other band I've ever heard.

God Save The Queen!
There's a lot of things blamed on me that never happened.  But then, there's a lot of things that I did that I never got caught at.

GatesOfDelirium

Quote from: TOOLMusic was going through a horrible phase.  There was almost nothing you could listen to.  

I don't the Sex Pistols, and I don't like punk at all in general. According to AllMusic.com the Sex Pistols were formed in '75 and broke up in '78. Saying there was nothing to listen to during that time is ridiculous. Bands like Rush, Genesis, Al DiMeola, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, et al, were putting out albums and touring and didn't have any disco songs or pop songs.

Those are just some groups I like. The point is, there is good music being made at any given time, and throughout history, regardless of what the current popular trend is.

Eponymous

Quote from: GatesOfDeliriumRush, Genesis, Al DiMeola, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, et al,
You cite the bands that were the reason punk rock had to happen.

anaconda

whenever we're jamming and its getting slow i throw
in a little bass medley of god save the queen and then i do
the inverted version of the riff and play blitzkrieg bop by the ramones
and it all just goes into 20 mins of fucking punk beauty from there
i play bass and sing in case you didnt know.

GatesOfDelirium

Quote from: Eponymous
Quote from: GatesOfDeliriumRush, Genesis, Al DiMeola, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, et al,

Ah yes, bands that could actually play their instruments and sing. Terrible stuff.

Eponymous

Quote from: GatesOfDelirium
Quote from: Eponymous

Ah yes, bands that could actually play their instruments and sing. Terrible stuff.

Jesus, is your avatar Yngwie Malmsteen?

Anyway, I don't really know why I am bothering to explain because clearly you won't agree, but...

On the whole, the music "scene" in the mid to late 70s was all disco or "dinosaur rock". Long extended solos etc and things that were intentionally 'difficult' to play. A lot of people were bored by this and wanted something with more energy and power.

What bands like the Sex Pistols, the Damned etc did (and there was a similar scene in New York), was to reject all of that. Punk was all about doing it yourself. It didn't matter that they couldn't play or couldn't sing. There was a raw energy to the music. It was new, it was different. It was a big 'fuck you' to the rock establishment.

The forerunners to punk were bands like the Velvet Underground, MC5, The Stooges, The New York Dolls.

Of course, punk music was incredibly diverse. Blink 182 and bands of that ilk are not really punk. It was all about DIY. The Ramones, Television, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, Patti Smith, Talking Heads and Blondie are just some of the bands that were part of the New York punk movement in the late 1970s.

TOOL

Eponymous is spot-on right.  With the Pistols and the rest of punk music, it was about the raw energy and power of the music.  It was almost like having an orgasm.  The feeling was unbelieveable.

Yeah, some of the bands couldn't play their instruments very well, but they got the feeling across anyway and isn't that what music is all about?  I saw the Pistols very last show at Winterland in SF and halfway through the show they unplugged Sid Vicious's bass.  He was so fucked-up he fell down 2 times that I counted and said some hilarious things between songs ("you hit me in the head but it didn't hurt a bit so tough shit").  But the feeling was still there in the music!

I'll never forget Johnny Rotten's last words that night:

"Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"

With that, he walked offstage.  What an ending to a show & a band.

BTW, the last song they ever played was No Fun.
There's a lot of things blamed on me that never happened.  But then, there's a lot of things that I did that I never got caught at.

FartLips

its one thing to appreciate a good solo, a tough drum fill, some jazzy licks, but punk was about great songs.
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: TOOLEponymous is spot-on right.  With the Pistols and the rest of punk music, it was about the raw energy and power of the music.  It was almost like having an orgasm.  The feeling was unbelieveable.

Yeah, some of the bands couldn't play their instruments very well, but they got the feeling across anyway and isn't that what music is all about?  I saw the Pistols very last show at Winterland in SF and halfway through the show they unplugged Sid Vicious's bass.  He was so fucked-up he fell down 2 times that I counted and said some hilarious things between songs ("you hit me in the head but it didn't hurt a bit so tough shit").  But the feeling was still there in the music!

I'll never forget Johnny Rotten's last words that night:

"Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"

With that, he walked offstage.  What an ending to a show & a band.

BTW, the last song they ever played was No Fun.

Well, you guys can be best friends then. I hate punk music and will never see any merit in playing guitar horribly just to "get the feeling across."