Buzz Gear Walk Through From Luna Show

Started by fel-an-fo-fi, November 01, 2007, 02:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dumpster D

Quote from: eth2150 on November 09, 2024, 07:23:23 PM
Quote from: Dumpster D on November 09, 2024, 07:20:16 PMAh yes I remember that starfield cabriolet, unusual guitar. My friend had a godin semi-hollow body with that same sort of style :x  and profile, it was twangy :x  and very woody. I didn't much like it for heavy music.

yeah i don't like the hollow ones either. anyways someone find me that fucking video :x

It's long gone man, I might have taped it on VHS of youtube but I think it was gone by then actually...and I don't think I got it.

it will be awhile before I could dig that tape out, and see what stuff I taped on it...I definitely have a couple other good vids that were taken down, one was the 'Pedal review' with Buzz and Dale. It was fantastic.

They were checking out the 'ultra-sonic fuzz gun' and the 'Fat fuzz factory' It wassss HILARIOUS!!!

The turned the amps and pedals all the way to full blast and switched them on. My friends all LOVED that!!

I'm not tech savvy enough to re-digitize that footage but I'll try to find it and let you know...please be patient it would take me about 3-4 months.

HAT36447

Quote from: Dumpster D on November 09, 2024, 08:11:10 PM
Quote from: eth2150 on November 09, 2024, 07:23:23 PM
Quote from: Dumpster D on November 09, 2024, 07:20:16 PMAh yes I remember that starfield cabriolet, unusual guitar. My friend had a godin semi-hollow body with that same sort of style :x  and profile, it was twangy :x  and very woody. I didn't much like it for heavy music.

yeah i don't like the hollow ones either. anyways someone find me that fucking video :x

It's long gone man, I might have taped it on VHS of youtube but I think it was gone by then actually...and I don't think I got it.

it will be awhile before I could dig that tape out, and see what stuff I taped on it...I definitely have a couple other good vids that were taken down, one was the 'Pedal review' with Buzz and Dale. It was fantastic.

They were checking out the 'ultra-sonic fuzz gun' and the 'Fat fuzz factory' It wassss HILARIOUS!!!

The turned the amps and pedals all the way to full blast and switched them on. My friends all LOVED that!!

I'm not tech savvy enough to re-digitize that footage but I'll try to find it and let you know...please be patient it would take me about 3-4 months.


what a good guy! thank you. i'm also always looking for 1999 and 2004 footage
waaaaaaaaaaah

Dumpster D

 I saw them live in 2000 around the time of my 16th birthday.

 Had just started playing in my very first band.

It was the best.

FartLips

Quote from: Dumpster D on November 09, 2024, 07:03:38 PM
Quote from: eth2150 on November 09, 2024, 05:50:02 PM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on November 01, 2007, 11:24:43 PMDownload it in .Avi

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6PA887FX

butthole man do you still have this? the metal kult website on web archive doesnt load the gear rundown, and the YouTube upload of it is private now.

There used to be a really good Buzz 'gear' rundown vid on youtube. Buzz talked a lot about his Carver pre-amps and 15's, along with the 1970's Beta Leads and of course a lot of info about his 1970's Les Paul, I can't remember the exact year but it was a late 70's Custom.

He talked about how the headstock had been broken FIVE times!!! Every time it was repaired and broken again, it was because of the airline people. So that's why the band doesn't usually like to fly, and preferred to drive on tour. That was around the point where the High E tuner was missing from the headstock likely because the guitar was too damaged at that point to play it with that string on.

I'm not sure when he retired that guitar exactly but probably the mid 2000's.

He said he played over 2000 shows with that guitar by then. 

The other thing he talked a little about was his Toggle switch control, which is setup between the two pickups. The bridge pickup is for high gain, the neck pickup for a cutoff switch basically or clean tones.

He mentioned that all the Original hardware/parts on the Les Paul had been prettymuch replaced, frets and all.

That was a good vid.
there's an official rig rundown where he talks about the airlines, switching to EGC, hoping trips would be less disasterous, and they still managed to break the pickup switch. :lol:
Judy is mad.🤣

HAT36447

Quote from: Dumpster D on November 09, 2024, 08:11:10 PM
Quote from: eth2150 on November 09, 2024, 07:23:23 PM
Quote from: Dumpster D on November 09, 2024, 07:20:16 PMAh yes I remember that starfield cabriolet, unusual guitar. My friend had a godin semi-hollow body with that same sort of style :x  and profile, it was twangy :x  and very woody. I didn't much like it for heavy music.

yeah i don't like the hollow ones either. anyways someone find me that fucking video :x

It's long gone man, I might have taped it on VHS of youtube but I think it was gone by then actually...and I don't think I got it.

it will be awhile before I could dig that tape out, and see what stuff I taped on it...I definitely have a couple other good vids that were taken down, one was the 'Pedal review' with Buzz and Dale. It was fantastic.

They were checking out the 'ultra-sonic fuzz gun' and the 'Fat fuzz factory' It wassss HILARIOUS!!!

The turned the amps and pedals all the way to full blast and switched them on. My friends all LOVED that!!

I'm not tech savvy enough to re-digitize that footage but I'll try to find it and let you know...please be patient it would take me about 3-4 months.


so this is a weird update but i decided to search on reddit for a legitimate hacker who could download the gear tour from the privated youtube link i found on the forum. I got someone who somehow got the thumbnail for me but ghosted me after i sent him his requested $25. god damnit
waaaaaaaaaaah

Dumpster D

That sucks, you got trolled.

The thumbnail image for that vid looks like it's the right one though.

Again, I miiiiiight have it on VHS somewhere but that will take a long time to find, I'll check this winter but again, it was probably removed before I had a chance to tape it.

I could ask around, there might be a couple guys who would know where to look for it around here somewhere.

How would you contact the person who has the upload on youtube? Sometimes I've seen band music vids that disappear from the youtube search list and I've had to personally contact them through their bandcamp and they've sent me the link, so that would be my next suggestion.



Dumpster D

Quote from: eth2150 on November 20, 2024, 09:36:11 PMI got someone who somehow got the thumbnail for me but ghosted me after i sent him his requested $25. god damnit

That Vid was from 'Metalkult.com' so I'd be contacting someone from that site and ask them directly for it.

Dumpster D

Some of the advice Buzz gives in that video about his pedals, that I can remember is that he didn't have anything 'boutique' at the time. It was mostly boss pedals, like the Digital Delay I think he had.

But that's irrelevant, they've probably used just about any known pedal on the planet on their albums, you name it.

My personal favourites that I can hear are like the effects the guitarist from 'Fudge Tunnel' Alex Newport used like that Melvins song 'Specimen' Have you ever heard of Fudge Tunnel? Awesome band. Newport has either production or Engineering cred on Stag.

I've heard effects like univibe, or Gristleizer, those are two secret weapons. SSHHSHSSH!!!

They put out some 'Hilbish' designed pedals for Buzz awhile ago, did you see those?

His reasoning was that, if the pedal broke down or was stolen it could be easily replaced at any local 'Monkey' guitar shop...and basically he's not married to any of his gear or anything.

He did talk a little about his 1970's Sunn Beta Leads a little bit, mostly that they tend to break down from time to time and need constant maintenance then, and he was thinking they might have to be 'retired' eventually because of how old they were getting...Jared Warren talks a little about his Sunn amps in one of the Big business interviews, along the lines of 'the tiredness of old components' and he kinda discusses that a little.


workhorse Amps that old are going to need a bit of service. Electrolitic capacitors sag after about 15 years, that may or be not be bad, depending on the sound you're looking for it all depends right?

Not sure when Buzz officially retired those amps from service, I wanna say somewhere likely in the mid-late 2000's? (But I could be wrong)... he's sold off a bunch of his guitars and cabs over the last 20 years.

I remember seeing his Hi-watt cab up for grabs a few years ago, I *thinnnnnk* maybe it had Greenbacks in it?

Same with the 'Melvan' but you couldn't even trust a '72 dodge by 1982.

Dumpster D


HAT36447

Quote from: Dumpster D on November 20, 2024, 09:41:38 PMThat sucks, you got trolled.

The thumbnail image for that vid looks like it's the right one though.

Again, I miiiiiight have it on VHS somewhere but that will take a long time to find, I'll check this winter but again, it was probably removed before I had a chance to tape it.

I could ask around, there might be a couple guys who would know where to look for it around here somewhere.

How would you contact the person who has the upload on youtube? Sometimes I've seen band music vids that disappear from the youtube search list and I've had to personally contact them through their bandcamp and they've sent me the link, so that would be my next suggestion.




its pretty much impossible to track down who uploaded it unfortunately. I tried contacting metal kult a long time ago but they seem dead and gone, there last presence was 2022 if I even have the right Instagram account. I think they must've assimilated into premier guitar or something idk. about your longer message, I have some of the hilbish stuff they're pretty great. I know a lot about buzz's gear, that's my main obsession right now so it feels dumb to be missing out on another gear rundown that's just floating around somewhere. if you could ask around I'd appreciate that thanks!
waaaaaaaaaaah

HAT36447

Quote from: Dumpster D on November 20, 2024, 10:11:23 PMSome of the advice Buzz gives in that video about his pedals, that I can remember is that he didn't have anything 'boutique' at the time. It was mostly boss pedals, like the Digital Delay I think he had.

But that's irrelevant, they've probably used just about any known pedal on the planet on their albums, you name it.

My personal favourites that I can hear are like the effects the guitarist from 'Fudge Tunnel' Alex Newport used like that Melvins song 'Specimen' Have you ever heard of Fudge Tunnel? Awesome band. Newport has either production or Engineering cred on Stag.

I've heard effects like univibe, or Gristleizer, those are two secret weapons. SSHHSHSSH!!!

They put out some 'Hilbish' designed pedals for Buzz awhile ago, did you see those?

His reasoning was that, if the pedal broke down or was stolen it could be easily replaced at any local 'Monkey' guitar shop...and basically he's not married to any of his gear or anything.

He did talk a little about his 1970's Sunn Beta Leads a little bit, mostly that they tend to break down from time to time and need constant maintenance then, and he was thinking they might have to be 'retired' eventually because of how old they were getting...Jared Warren talks a little about his Sunn amps in one of the Big business interviews, along the lines of 'the tiredness of old components' and he kinda discusses that a little.


workhorse Amps that old are going to need a bit of service. Electrolitic capacitors sag after about 15 years, that may or be not be bad, depending on the sound you're looking for it all depends right?

Not sure when Buzz officially retired those amps from service, I wanna say somewhere likely in the mid-late 2000's? (But I could be wrong)... he's sold off a bunch of his guitars and cabs over the last 20 years.

I remember seeing his Hi-watt cab up for grabs a few years ago, I *thinnnnnk* maybe it had Greenbacks in it?

Same with the 'Melvan' but you couldn't even trust a '72 dodge by 1982.

gristlizer? where did you hear about that!
waaaaaaaaaaah

Dumpster D

Quote from: eth2150 on November 21, 2024, 10:28:40 AMgristlizer? where did you hear about that!

Buzz from the Melvins got me into Throbbing gristle, way back in the 90's.

Chris Carter from Throbbing gristle built one with a modded bias trim back in the mid 70's, which is what gave that effect it's name.

He had a subscription to a DIY electronics magazine, and every month featured a different build.

The one I built myself back in 2010 was a kit from 'EAR' (Endangered audio research) which has since gone out of business.

There may, or may not be commercial ones for sale..It's one of those things I had to build myself.

It''s basically a primitive synth module.

Has two modes, VCA/VCF (Voltage controlled Filter,amplifier) with an LFO (Low frequency oscillator)  and a waveform generator...meaning you can plug anything into it and tune it or filter it or amplify it. VCA mode gives you a tremolo effect and the Variable bias allows you to tweak the sound. The filter is like a swooping bubbly sound.

Great effect if you like to experiment.

You'd have to start building your own effects pedals if you want one of those.

That is all I can tell you.

PepsiMike

Quote from: eth2150 on November 21, 2024, 10:28:40 AM
Quote from: Dumpster D on November 20, 2024, 10:11:23 PMSome of the advice Buzz gives in that video about his pedals, that I can remember is that he didn't have anything 'boutique' at the time. It was mostly boss pedals, like the Digital Delay I think he had.

But that's irrelevant, they've probably used just about any known pedal on the planet on their albums, you name it.

My personal favourites that I can hear are like the effects the guitarist from 'Fudge Tunnel' Alex Newport used like that Melvins song 'Specimen' Have you ever heard of Fudge Tunnel? Awesome band. Newport has either production or Engineering cred on Stag.

I've heard effects like univibe, or Gristleizer, those are two secret weapons. SSHHSHSSH!!!

They put out some 'Hilbish' designed pedals for Buzz awhile ago, did you see those?

His reasoning was that, if the pedal broke down or was stolen it could be easily replaced at any local 'Monkey' guitar shop...and basically he's not married to any of his gear or anything.

He did talk a little about his 1970's Sunn Beta Leads a little bit, mostly that they tend to break down from time to time and need constant maintenance then, and he was thinking they might have to be 'retired' eventually because of how old they were getting...Jared Warren talks a little about his Sunn amps in one of the Big business interviews, along the lines of 'the tiredness of old components' and he kinda discusses that a little.


workhorse Amps that old are going to need a bit of service. Electrolitic capacitors sag after about 15 years, that may or be not be bad, depending on the sound you're looking for it all depends right?

Not sure when Buzz officially retired those amps from service, I wanna say somewhere likely in the mid-late 2000's? (But I could be wrong)... he's sold off a bunch of his guitars and cabs over the last 20 years.

I remember seeing his Hi-watt cab up for grabs a few years ago, I *thinnnnnk* maybe it had Greenbacks in it?

Same with the 'Melvan' but you couldn't even trust a '72 dodge by 1982.

gristlizer? where did you hear about that!
Check out Chris carters website, he has info on it. DD, does this schematic look familiar? http://we.tl/t-0Coio2A3vR

Dumpster D

Chris Carter has put them out as Eurorack modules, they're pricey. I think there's 4 different versions, and other goodies like some other TG branded synth modules.

They run 18V, and the originals ran off 2 9volt batteries, or DC input...The newer modern standard versions run 9Volt meaning less headroom I think.

The one I built was an 18v Version, with some improvements on the waveform generator.

Very cool, but out of pocket for those Chris Carter 'TG' brand ones with the Flash symbol on them.

Your best bet is to build one from a PCB 'kit' not a lot of places have those kits available and they tend to go out of stock pretty quick.



HAT36447

Quote from: Dumpster D on November 21, 2024, 02:15:34 PMChris Carter has put them out as Eurorack modules, they're pricey. I think there's 4 different versions, and other goodies like some other TG branded synth modules.

They run 18V, and the originals ran off 2 9volt batteries, or DC input...The newer modern standard versions run 9Volt meaning less headroom I think.

The one I built was an 18v Version, with some improvements on the waveform generator.

Very cool, but out of pocket for those Chris Carter 'TG' brand ones with the Flash symbol on them.

Your best bet is to build one from a PCB 'kit' not a lot of places have those kits available and they tend to go out of stock pretty quick.




i meant where did you hear that buzz used one?
waaaaaaaaaaah