Stag Vinyl Bootleg

Started by buddy holiday, March 05, 2014, 03:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deatheats

I've always wondered how these bootlegs get made with no legal ramifications.

I doubt the Melvins really want to spend their money on lawyers shutting these things down, but it must piss them off to no end.

Buckwheat

Quote from: deatheats on March 05, 2014, 01:23:30 PM
I've always wondered how these bootlegs get made with no legal ramifications.
Usually the boots are made in foreign countries, making legal action difficult and expensive. 

deatheats

I'm assuming they wouldn't have the original pressing plates...do they end up making some kind of half-assed digital to analog conversion to make these bootlegs?

anaconda

I wonder if they can get away with it because they say it's 'unofficial'.
the same company has bootlegged sleep's volume one too.
sheesh!

deatheats

I like how Discogs makes those differentiations obvious, unlike ebay where people can list unofficial bootlegs as if they are the original pressing.

Dan_Halen

Quote from: deatheats on March 05, 2014, 02:14:09 PM
I'm assuming they wouldn't have the original pressing plates...do they end up making some kind of half-assed digital to analog conversion to make these bootlegs?

I hate bootlegs however, the boot can't sound any worse than the original vinyl. Those who own a copy know what I am talking about.  Melvins need some serious reissues:

1. HAT on 12"
2. Stag with some proper Mastering on a double LP
3. Electroretard on 12"

Those are my picks
Los ticka toe rest

Captain CoryCory

Add the long-rumored reissues of Bullhead, Lysol and Ozma and you've got yourself a helluva set

ZILLA

Quote from: Dan_Halen on March 08, 2014, 08:52:14 AM
Quote from: deatheats on March 05, 2014, 02:14:09 PM

I hate bootlegs however, the boot can't sound any worse than the original vinyl. Those who own a copy know what I am talking about.  Melvins need some serious reissues:

1. HAT on 12"
2. Stag with some proper Mastering on a double LP
3. Electroretard on 12"

Those are my picks

The bootlegs could definitely sound worse than the original press if they made new plates using music that has been digitized. CD's sample rate is 44.1 kHz and does not capture the entire waveform. It takes 44,000 samples per second and that leaves small supposedly imperceptible gaps between each sample. Those gaps are what make CD's sound "cold" compared to the "warmth" of vinyl. While doing a conversion from digital back to analog is possible, to the best of my knowledge that information from the gaps is gone forever.

Does anybody know if you can make a new plate from an existing pressed LP? Like reverse engineer? like pouring plaster into a dinosaur foot print to make a cast & mold?

I'm a digital guy and know little about pressing vinyl. Sorry about the nerd rant.

The Melvins should definitely do vinyl reissues!
########################################################################################################

Dumpster D

Yeah, Just wait for the Re-issues. if you start saving NOWWW, you might be in good shape come game time.  8)

Ducksopinion

Here's a thing...A good few bands bootleg their own shit if some old label holds onto rights, etc.

Makes sense, too - if it is out of vinyl pressing or deleted and they are only earning a few pennies per CD sold, then why not? The could make $10k off of 1000 copies and the pressing plant gets $5k for costs. They are pressed way out in Poland or wherever to put off the attention of labels rather than bands. Plus, its cheap to get shit pressed there.

DeeSonyaChin

Quote from: Ducksopinion on March 17, 2014, 05:03:56 PM
Here's a thing...A good few bands bootleg their own shit if some old label holds onto rights, etc.

Makes sense, too - if it is out of vinyl pressing or deleted and they are only earning a few pennies per CD sold, then why not? The could make $10k off of 1000 copies and the pressing plant gets $5k for costs. They are pressed way out in Poland or wherever to put off the attention of labels rather than bands. Plus, its cheap to get shit pressed there.

And if they get caught it would cost a hell of a lot more than that. I'm calling BS

Captain CoryCory

Five thousand bucks to get an extra 500 copies from Poland? Hmm...

Herr Honky

Quote from: Dumpster D on March 17, 2014, 10:24:50 AM
Yeah, Just wait for the Re-issues. if you start saving NOWWW, you might be in good shape come game time.  8)

Exactly. If it wasn't obvious by now, Buzz made it crystal clear in an interview I watched a while back that they view vinyl editions as collector's items and price them accordingly. So if/when they arrive, they won't be standard 180gram black vinyl with original art. They'll be some bullshit tri-colored splatter with new screen printed art that'll cost $50+. Interesting note: those "cool looking" multi colored splatter vinyl actually cost lest to produce because they're made with leftover scraps and trimmings, yet they're often sold for more than standard black.

And more power to 'em, they realize their fans will gladly pay the price so why not? Gotta feed the dogs, right?

When was the last "normal" vinyl edition of a Melvins album? Nude With Boots?

Dumpster D

Boots was REd vinyl though.  :D

The pressing was shit too. I would have paid more for a 180g pressing to Hold it up against for good measures.

Duno why they love 180g, I would say thats because pressings are so cheap nowadays its the ONLY thing what will sound half-decent because its supposedly more durable deeper groove,..no one so far has come up with any real numbers though. ANOTHER THING about re-issue on 180g is the dead air sounds like someone blowing into a microphone..while the original pressed...nothin. No one can account for that one thus far either.

I want some goddamn answers..what good is ANY vinyl if you have shit for a turntable anyway..waste of good vinyl AND money. Vinyl is the one thing that is super sensative to the physical characteristics of each individual Turntable. unlike CD.

Why its a dead media, people thought it was inferior because like the poor carpenters they are, blamed their tools.

nowadays ANY real Record knowledge is practically un-spoken. I see idiots who dont know how to handle vinyl making youbutt vids of themselves showing how to handle vinyl.

Just bring back Tape please god dammit! The only real way to enjoy and preserve your priceless precious coveted LPS.