The Melvins Classifieds: SALES, AUCTIONS, and TRADES.

Started by Idlehanz, February 21, 2008, 07:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bUTTHOLEmAN

Bash 13 vinyl available, for $35 or more from Hepa Titus
9 available as of now
Hepa Titus also has a few downloads available for purchase

http://hepa-titus.bandcamp.com/album/bash-13-grumpys-july-2013-no-download-available
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

tsugurirecords

MARK DEUTROM / THE ASOUND Split 7"
MARK DEUTROM (MELVINS, CLOWN ALLEY, ALCHEMY RECORDS) / THE ASOUND (Ex-SEVEN FOOT SPLEEN, HANGING ROTTEN, STONE OF ABEL) Split 7"
LAST COPIES of the limited 1 time pressing of 200 copies
Black or Green Vinyl
Order here: http://tsugurirecords.blogspot.com/

A review from The Sleeping Shaman Webzine:
Mark Deutrom is probably best known for his work as producer, sound engineer and some time member of Grunge Godfathers The Melvins having played on seminal releases such as Prick, Stoner Witch, Stay and Honky, but more recently has been making his mark on the music scene ever since by producing the likes of Sunn0))), making film soundtracks and forging a prolific solo career. The former alumni of the California Institute of Arts constantly challenges and pushes the boundaries with exciting raw rock n roll.

Following on from the release of last years latest solo album, he teams up with North Carolina's noise merchants The Asound to release a split on Tsuguri Records, an imprint run by 'sound bassist Jon Cox. Given one track each, this ultra limited 7″ split record (200 copies of Black or Green vinyl) is a completest dream for fans of both artists, not least as Deutrom offers up a previously unreleased track in the form of Miniskirt, left over from last years Brief Sensuality and Western Violence sessions. Deemed too heavy and direct to fit in with the jazz like vibe of the album, Miniskirt is a short, two minute burst of raw punk that recalls his work with Buzz Osbourne's crew.

It is an almost lo-fi garage band sound that runs in, punches you in the mouth, dances glee and runs out again. Built around an urgent low end groove they manage to give all the instruments the briefest of showcasing in the short space of time; from the little bass flourishes, to the accented cymbal crashes and finishes on the high of an energetic, fret abusing solo that is deft and as fleeting as you could imagine given the time constraints.

In contrast The Asound decide to slow the proceedings down with an almost sludge paced, monolithic pounding. Having reviewed them some years ago I found them to be a mixture of 70's hard rock, punk, psychedelia, prog and of course Black Sabbath. Here on The Chief Of Thieves they lurch with huge ringing chords that share the same production values and common art rock of Deutrom values in the drum smashes and winding solos.

The difference here is that The Asound take nearly three times as long to get their point across. Much more Doom laden than Deutrom, The Chief Of Thieves is built around a riff that you don't get tired of, the slow plodding and Chad Wyrick's almost Ozzy like wail adds to the swaying, droning feel and offers an almost completely different sonic contrast.

The music on this split is just enough to tease you with promises of each artist but ultimately leave you wanting more. More akin sound wise than the fast/slow contrast would have you believe, both artists look to channel a snotty DIY attitude and create music that slams into your consciousness and leaves a lasting impression.

A review from Hellride Music:
I don't think Mark Deutrom needs any introduction, but I'm going to write one anyway; the maverick high-end/low-end destructor played guitar in the hugely underrated crossover killers Clown Alley as well as bass on a good chunk of The Melvins' major label years (including personal classics, Stoner Witch and Stag, where his role went far beyond simply that of bassist). That's enough for a spot on the legend pedestal right there, yet he's had an illustrious solo career with releases that have covered nearly every aspect of the rock n' roll map... Here he joins up with the marauding, riff-dealing power trio The Asound for a heavy, hairy little 7" inch of underground thunder.

The Asound are hot off a string of releases in 2013, culminating with a belligerently riff-drunk S/T that you should still check out if you haven't yet. These guys are on a runaway 18 wheeler of slimy, scummy southern-doom rock and show no signs of hitting the brakes. Their contribution to this split, "The Chief of Thieves" is built on a corn huskin', southern sludge riff run through a dissonant Am-Rep transistor. It's got a dipping, diving Matt Pike-like main Holy Mountain riff mantra but stops, starts, and squeals on more dimes than Unsane. The rhythm section of Jon Cox (bass) and Michael Crump (drums) backs Chad Wyrick's (guitar) hesher, Skynyrd riff carnage with a slovenly bass-line derailing underneath piston-pounding rolls Mike lays across the toms. Chad's 100 degree, heat cooked melodic vocals sound like they were recorded below a desert sun and a sky of vultures; a nice counterpoint to the dusky Appalachian doom on hand (which is heavy enough that most bands would just scream over it...not that that's a bad thing, but it's nice to hear some different vocal twists). A great tune all-around...

On Side B's "Mini-Skirt," Mark Deutrom evades the tarpit death, experi-doom of The Melvs for a throaty, throttle breakin' blues-based hard rock mule-kick that probably spent time grazing in the same barn as early TAD and The Cheurbs. He plays guitar, bass and vocals on this furious, piss n' nitroglycerin jam. The grungy, Sabbath-y punk bred noise-rock is there in spades for attitude and feel, but a boogie edge with limber, neck travelling bass licks, deep south guitar soloing, and raucous percussion from Aaron Lack reminds me of ZZ Top and prime Honky circa House of Good Tires. It's a badass track meant for a brawl and an overload of beer n' beef jerky after the black eyes are dished out. Fans not experienced with Mark's solo work will find that the mode here isn't indicative of his overall style...the man really does it all, but if you explore his discography you'll find it to be right up there with his finest riff workouts.

From my research this slick 7" is on the verge of selling out, and has already done so in certain outlets. If you plan on grabbing it, I'd act fast, faster, fastest... Fans of gritty rock with gratuitous riffing shouldn't miss it!

NothingNatural

ZILLA

Anybody collecting the tour edition clowns? Tri-colour nott splatter? I have 4 of them... I'd like to get em all!  :)
########################################################################################################

meezer

Can the powers that be please just leave zilla ranked as merch vulture forever?
Seems fitting.  :mrgreen:
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

ZILLA

Quote from: meezer on December 29, 2014, 09:49:35 PM
Can the powers that be please just leave zilla ranked as merch vulture forever?
Seems fitting.  :mrgreen:

I thought about changing my name to merch vulture! I love it!
########################################################################################################

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: ZILLA on December 29, 2014, 05:47:28 PM
Anybody collecting the tour edition clowns? Tri-colour nott splatter? I have 4 of them... I'd like to get em all!  :)
What's left?   Just the throbbing gristle clown?

kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

ZILLA

Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on December 29, 2014, 10:07:39 PM

I believe that and one other are yet to be released. I have tri-colour versions of Bowie, Queen, Kinks, Pop o Pies, Venom.

NothingNatural

I have the tri-color and splatter versions of all of them so far. I'm just patiently waiting for the last ones.

ZILLA

brian

The Jam clown 7" is also going to come out in 2015

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: brian on December 30, 2014, 02:26:59 PM
Thanks, I forgot about the Jam.

kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes

jules

Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on December 31, 2014, 02:39:50 PM
Quote from: brian on December 30, 2014, 02:26:59 PM
Thanks, I forgot about the Jam.
:shock:  You're a Mod. How can you forget about The Jam?   :cry: