The return of Coady Willis (?)

Started by Alex-, April 24, 2024, 06:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex-

I was listening to the latest Conan Neutron podcast with Buzz yesterday. Near the end where upcoming things get mentioned Buzz says "were getting Coady back in the band". Also new material with Coady and special live plans. Here is a link: https://youtu.be/1vbjEDYFw_c?si=cv3NnibI-3UxRBew

Really exciting news. Now if this is for one tour and a release or for the foreseeable future I don't know, but from hearing how Buzz mentioned it I do really think we might get the double drumming back. I  couldn't find anything already being mentioned on the forum so started a new thread for this.

))))((((

Yeah Buzz has mentioned it in a few recent interviews so it seems a done deal. It's kinda funny to think it probably wouldn't have happened if Dale hadn't been temporarily out of commission. I wonder how Jared would feel about all this. Would he mind not being invited back. I'll guess they will record sometime this year and release/tour with Coady in 2025.

Bigval

Hopefully not as a replacement for Crover. Dale's missed the last two Melvins tours and he's going to tour with his solo band in August, not drumming obviously.

Still seems really weird the Melvins not touring to promote a new album, Melvins 1983 excluded. I wouldn't be surprised if another 1983 album happens soon as Dale won't need to drum for that either.

Alex-

Quote from: Bigval on April 24, 2024, 07:38:57 AMHopefully not as a replacement for Crover. Dale's missed the last two Melvins tours and he's going to tour with his solo band in August, not drumming obviously.

Still seems really weird the Melvins not touring to promote a new album, Melvins 1983 excluded. I wouldn't be surprised if another 1983 album happens soon as Dale won't need to drum for that either.

When Buzz said "we're" getting Coady back in the band I read it as Buzz and Dale as that is the core of the band. But perhaps he ment differently, hope not.

amazonAMAZON

Almost seems like this is what they'd wanted ten years ago, keep Coady but ditch Jared. Now with this injury and your they have the excuse to say "hey this is working" without it ruffling too many feathers. Not thatBuzz would care, likely. But Dale and Coady might (if Buzz had told only Jared to fuck off after Bulls & Bees). Am I making any sense?

))))((((

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on April 24, 2024, 10:07:06 AMAm I making any sense?
Yes. but i doubt it was that calculated. I suspect that similar to getting Roy on the new album, it's more that they play or tour with people and then just naturally end up working with them in some capacity.

Alex-

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on April 24, 2024, 10:07:06 AMAlmost seems like this is what they'd wanted ten years ago, keep Coady but ditch Jared. Now with this injury and your they have the excuse to say "hey this is working" without it ruffling too many feathers. Not thatBuzz would care, likely. But Dale and Coady might (if Buzz had told only Jared to fuck off after Bulls & Bees). Am I making any sense?

Why you think they want to ditch Jared? Did I missed something? In the same podcast I mentioned Buzz said there is no beef with the Big Biz guys.

I'm quite sure Jared lives in Seattle now and he's still playing with Unwound, and Coady is still in LA where Buzz, Dale and Steve are located as well.

Coady now in Melvins, HOF, Big Biz and Murder City Devils, crazy! I'm really excited though, my fav times i've seen Melvins was with the Big Biz lineup, and big part of that was the double drums.

black stallion

Quote from: Bigval on April 24, 2024, 07:38:57 AMHopefully not as a replacement for Crover. Dale's missed the last two Melvins tours and he's going to tour with his solo band in August, not drumming obviously.

i think your point is not totally wrong, i'm not so sure that Dale will be back as drummer in a near future and that visa problem for the Japan tour sounded a bit weird to me.in that case Coady would be a perfect solution. obviously hope we are wrong because Melvins without Dale on drums is not the same
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

moose

I'm pretty sure Buzz has used the phrase "two drummers" or to that effect in one of the recent interviews. From what I understand, Dale is good to drum again. It's just been the visa thing holding him back from touring abroad.
Well, we'll always have "In the Air Tonight." Will that be your most enduring song?
You know, that song won't lie down. It just won't go away. I mean, there's a Mike Tyson moment associated with it now. It's just bizarre. I guess it has a bit of mystery, a lot of atmosphere, and the drums coming in, pinning people to the wall.

amazonAMAZON

I suspect Jared may be too strong minded. He writes, he sings, he has political opinions, he moved away. And yes, Steven and Pinkus both write and can take lead. But it's just a personality thing. I think Jared is closest to Deutrom in terms of his own musical criteria and vision. I'm basing this on just what I see in the tunes, the interviews, and my own shitty thoughts.

John Schuller

Coady is back in the Melvins and they are going to be doing the double drummer thing again - for how long? Who knows? Coady is a busy guy with High on Fire and Big Business and the occasional Murder City Devils reunions.

Jared lives near Tumwater, WA again in the house he grew up in with his wife and kids. He is playing in Big Business and Unwound. My "guess" is that when Jared had to cancel on the 30th anniversary tour for "Paternity Leave" as Buzz put it, that he might have been given walking papers by Buzz, Jared very well might have just given notice (having kids takes a lot of time and energy). I doubt it is bad blood as much as it would be uncomfortable blood, and not fun blood. Not sure if once Pinkus joined on bass for that tour if there was ever another show with Jared and Coady?

I have never heard Buzz say a negative thing about Jared, and obviously Jared is still friends with Coady and Toshi. So, I am just hoping that all is ok between all of the guys. I mean, it has been 10 years now.

Now.....in my dreams, I would love to see "Melvins XL" with Dale and Coady on Drums, Steven and Jared on Bass, and Buzz and Toshi on Guitars. Now that would be a party!