Melvins With Steven McDonald On Bass

Started by meezer, December 03, 2015, 07:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

meezer

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

vince furnier

Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

black stallion

Quote from: meezer on March 26, 2016, 06:48:32 AM
Is that i-phone Boss or EHX?

eheh

according to Melvins soundguy:

QuoteHere's Steve McDonald's of Melvins pedal board, his tone is monstrous and he has many sounds, all of which he conjures up with his fingers and this small board of fun, the special magic ingredient is the rare Alf iPhone app that takes his vibe into Simmons Territory

meezer

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

lubes17319

I knew Steven would be good & I was not disappointed. (but like sadcorps I'm a bit biased - being a fan of the McDonald boys since they were Red Cross)

Of all the lineups I've seen, this was one of the funnest sets. Seemed to me they were having a complete Bl'ast! the entire set, and Steven's antics/stage presence blended well with Buzz & Dale, whereas most other bassists I'd seen have been overshadowed by those two.
In the past, my attention was usually held by Buzz/Dale, but last night I split it up 33-1/3% for each member.

John Schuller

Quote from: lubes17319 on April 28, 2016, 11:51:50 AM
I knew Steven would be good & I was not disappointed. (but like sadcorps I'm a bit biased - being a fan of the McDonald boys since they were Red Cross)

Of all the lineups I've seen, this was one of the funnest sets. Seemed to me they were having a complete Bl'ast! the entire set, and Steven's antics/stage presence blended well with Buzz & Dale, whereas most other bassists I'd seen have been overshadowed by those two.
In the past, my attention was usually held by Buzz/Dale, but last night I split it up 33-1/3% for each member.

His stage presence informs my bass playing as much as his note choices. For real.

Mount Ambulance

It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

black stallion

))))((((

I was listening to one of the recent shows with Steven and i noticed that quite a few times through the set he would shout "come on!" to the crowd at certain pivotal points in the songs. I liked that energy and intention to inspire the masses but i didn't think it really quite fit for the songs or what we think of in the Melvins. In fact i'd go as far to say i found it a little annoying after a while.

BERZERKER

Quote from: ))))(((( on May 09, 2016, 06:28:49 AM
I was listening to one of the recent shows with Steven and i noticed that quite a few times through the set he would shout "come on!" to the crowd at certain pivotal points in the songs. I liked that energy and intention to inspire the masses but i didn't think it really quite fit for the songs or what we think of in the Melvins. In fact i'd go as far to say i found it a little annoying after a while.

Nah, theres no rule for how to behave.

))))((((

Yeah i agree and of course i think there is a great difference between being present at the show and me sat just listening to a show. The feel and vibe is different. The context. But i just felt it was a bit too much. A bit overdone while hearing it.

John Schuller

Quote from: ))))(((( on May 09, 2016, 06:54:58 AM
Yeah i agree and of course i think there is a great difference between being present at the show and me sat just listening to a show. The feel and vibe is different. The context. But i just felt it was a bit too much. A bit overdone while hearing it.

That is as much part of Steven McDonald on the bass at a live concert as Buzzo's Mumu. It is meant to be over the top - very much influenced by Paul Stanley and other rockers who scream "Alright!" and "Come on!" while rocking hard. Certainly made for those in attendance at the concert.

I noticed at the show two nights ago, Buzz smiles almost every time Steven screams something into the microphone. I would say - that is approval from the KING.

meezer

Either I totally missed it, or he wasn't doing it yet when I saw them.