The Melvins Classifieds: SALES, AUCTIONS, and TRADES.

Started by Idlehanz, February 21, 2008, 07:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seeing that breaks my heart - I had the version of that shirt in on of those ebay photos, with the red puffy ink lettering on top. And... it was signed in Olympia in 1990 by Buzz, Dale, and Joe.
One of many shirts (and other things) that mysteriously vanished from my things back in the days when I lived with various roommates....

Just wanted to update peeps on the rash of scam sellers on discogs - it's seriously getting out of hand over there.

Recently, a new tactic has been revealed, where scammers open a new account, and appear to be selling a bunch of items they don't have (hijacked info from other people's accounts), and then their pals leave fake positive reviews (buyers joined and left the positive feedback on the same day).

So... the point of me mentioning this is - even if it looks like someone has a bunch of positive feedback, it could be fake.

Not trying to spread doom + gloom here, and I still buy stuff from sellers using the discogs marketplace, but the thing is, you have to research the seller and their feedback pretty thoroughly. If the seller or or the folks leaving feedback have a brand spankin' new account, run away.

Additionally, even the thread where people have been reporting scammers is compromised - it appears that some of the folks doing the reporting may in fact be scammers themselves, throwing out smokescreens.

Again, it's not the end of the world, but a little bit of diligence will go a long way here.

Unfortunately, all those scam sales are really flattening the price curves quite a bit.

• • • •

Quote from: 01001010 on April 09, 2023, 10:17:20 AM
That account has been flagged in a 17-page thread related to the avalanche of hijacked seller accounts on the discogs site.

Seriously, I would not buy *anything* through discogs until the admins regain control over the security of their site.

The admins started doing a lot of *updates* to the site a short time back, and most of them appear to be oriented toward the marketplace (as opposed to the actual database itself, which has continued to get worse).

Unfortunately, right around the same time, a shitstorm of compromised seller accounts started appearing on everyone's radar. Not too hard to hard to do the math on that one. especially since at least some of the Project Owners for the site updates are no longer with the company (yes, this is actually true).

The patterns for compromised accounts appears to follow the same pattern as with the Melvins set - expensive multi-disc sets now suddenly available for under $100. The hackers aren't really geniuses, obviously, just bottom feeders taking advantage of the dumbed-down social media updates to the site.

Be careful.

• • • •

Quote from: PepsiMike on April 09, 2023, 08:09:42 AM
:facepalm:
https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/2474920868

Obviously a scam, please don't buy

PepsiMike

Quote from: 01001010 on April 10, 2023, 02:49:08 PM
Just wanted to update peeps on the rash of scam sellers on discogs - it's seriously getting out of hand over there.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware.

amazonAMAZON

Yeah, seriously, thanks, digits. You probably saved me $100

vince furnier

Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

whiney

I have one (1) copy of the Leech CD bootleg and I don't even know what to do with this (I'm certainly not going to PLAY it). I don't feel good about selling it and I don't feel good about putting it in the trash. Willing to let it go for a trade if anyone has somethin' I want or need.

That might be worth a shot, but why the hell do people sell tapes / records / CDs that are *not* play-tested? I don't sell anything that isn't completely play-graded. Which is why people who buy from me always come back to see what else I have. It's about gaining trust.

Quote from: Dumpster D on May 19, 2023, 12:49:23 PM
If you're a real gambler take a chance on this beat up GPT cassette. "Un-tested"  :evil:

Buyer beware:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155561631823?hash=item243832204f:g:Qs4AAOSw0ztkZqxE&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4E%2FdG6I3U%2B1b6OCivquPGfsxEEq7Hz1RxPpO1XLAl4u78HY4my4S6BJk0qA3tFf0pUXNlHn6jRPatUG3ZJdW85nzj7QCKYxOw5atDWJQExcm4Two9rJ5g6YV6XaL0vSnmxbWXwMdNEu2xH6AsVvl%2FbuJ9Rd6wEdd6M02jvwi3ubgdchL12475i02Ct7vVJ87fkLeM4x7nNhvUXIsK%2BIVAe9WW6nVZt0e6wz4t7F7VKBPsQYa%2BWwTvqmLGIuoOPY5JkZfQbsxgUKFy1aTAwtqFHh9NUurc9EAaISUwwBF3oxR%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4zk8tGGYg

whiney

Quote from: whiney on May 07, 2023, 10:16:34 PM
I have one (1) copy of the Leech CD bootleg and I don't even know what to do with this (I'm certainly not going to PLAY it). I don't feel good about selling it and I don't feel good about putting it in the trash. Willing to let it go for a trade if anyone has somethin' I want or need.

I would trade this for any two of these Cheapys if you have 'em laying around

Honky, Prick, Electroretard, Pinkus or KingDunn

amazonAMAZON

Playgrading is time consuming AF. I wouldn't put a half hour into playgrading some random record I don't particularly enjoy hearing unless it's worth about $25 or more to be verified excellent. Most of the time a visual is sufficient for both the buyer and seller. (But I also don't own or trade anything particularly valuable, mostly CDs I buy cheap and realize I don't care for the music.)

Jaron

I feel like I'm back from the dead. I was going thru my 7" collection today and noticed I had 3 duplicates of some of my Melvins ones. The Patton Oswalt split and two of the clowns. The Scientists and the Venom ones.

If anyone is looking for these I'm willing to trade if its something I don't have. Otherwise, I'll just piss off.

I will say I'm missing The Jam and the Throbbing Gristle clowns.

I haven't been on here in years. Doesn't look like much has changed, but I'm sure some of the rules are different and I haven't read them if they are.

Hit me up. I can provide pics if need be.