The Bride Screamed Murder

Started by blewis, March 08, 2010, 03:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Arab

That tour wasn't close enough where I was able to go. Are there any live recordings of this that you know of?

Idlehanz

Quote from: bankrupt on May 16, 2010, 06:09:56 AM
Quote from: Jared Preston Esquire on May 15, 2010, 10:02:09 PM
Oh I am definitely a bigger fan of their older material, but that's alright. I am not impuning on this line up at all.
They have so much material, I wish they would always do two sets at every show and epitomize their career through the setlist. But as Buzz has said the world is not a perfect place.  

Last tour (technically the Chicken Switch tour, I guess) kind of did this, did it not? I mean, they played songs from pretty much every album/era over two sets, with a brief interval.
You mean the 25th anniversary/Houdini tour?

Afterbirthmilkshake

Quote from: Dumpster Diver on May 14, 2010, 03:44:07 PM
I think the Fantomas pinball machine idea Is a scorcher!

FUCKIN MAKE THAT SHIT...I think that would totally be THE best pinball machine in the world

the best fucking Idea I think I've heard since I got here!!!

god damn I can see it exactly what It looks like and EVERYthing!!

It could get annoying though...but damn, it the samples constantly changed and there were hundreds of

Eeep , Ork...

damn I think you've got something that would be totally market-able...I'd keep that Idea all to yourself around here dude.

what edition would it be (1, 2, 3, 4) or all albums combined...extra bonus points should cue something HEAVY when you score!!!

like that sludge break in suspended animation...god damn BUZZ's guitar is sooooooOOOOSOOOOOOsooooooo tastey in fantomas!!!

that is a pretty "for real" Idea!

I was thinking that there could be one for each album.  Alot of pinball machines are made in a series anyway.  My favorite is the Elvira series but FANTOMAS would quickly change that. 
I would like it to include a magnet trick that makes the ballseem to defy gravity like in the elvira machine

turnacus

It feels a little rushed at points. Like, they were having a great time in studio, and didn't think additions through. That's what keeps it from being great or awesome.  They choose to go from a goddamn awesome drum stomp to my sharona and someone yelling "my generation"? What is that shit. That's stupid. I'm sure you guy'll find some way to say "Oh, that's the secret dadaesque humor post-good neoabsurdism blah blah blah don't question them they know what they are doing blah blah blah" bending apologies, but that sucks.

It's about on the same level as NWB. ASA was better.

I just think the Melvins are feeling a touch samey at some points. Chord progressions and riff styles that just feel typical. There are flashes of brilliance, such as on Inhumanity, or Pig House, but overall meh.  I know, it's not bad it's different, whatever. They make fun of people like me, therefore I'm wrong in my assessment.
Van Hagar

Chomas

not me, it drives me a little bit nuts, considering that it takes you out of the album when it happens

there is one more part on the album where that happens for me too

but that could be the point, don't take it so seriously

the ether bunny

Quote from: change&suffocation on May 16, 2010, 05:34:27 PM
not me, it drives me a little bit nuts, considering that it takes you out of the album when it happens

^^^
this.

i've been going the opposite direction with this album. the more i listen to it, the less i've been liking it. i love both ASA and NWB, and listen to them both regularly. this one is a bit of a step down IMO.
he was a mongoloid.

Mad Arab

Hey mr tamborine man play a song for me.

FiLtHcAkE

Is "The Water Glass" an oldie? I've heard this live before, in another decade and chopped up a bit. Could this be the finished product of what they started at a certain Rock Candy show with? Chime in if anyone from Seattle remembers this.
I-hAtE-tHe-WaY-i'Ve-BeEn-KiLlInG-mYsElF-lAtElY.

Braykfast

I personally love the "in the studio" feel.
"whiskey and axe handles"
- buzzo, boston, june 2010

Dumpster D

Ok anyone not satisfied on the whole with this record...I'd like to see the critics make anything better.

Justafilthylurker

Okay, someone streamed this right at me, I haven't fully stole it or anything, just heard it.

The best songs are the first and the last ones. I agree that the riffs sound very Melvinsy, but each song has enough I think to overcome this. The more emotional singing style stops it being Melvins by numbers; Pig House and Electric Flower come to mind. I'll Finish You Off is a like a really moving Big Business song with a hint of Melviness and great/weird vocals. The stupid jazz joke thing is actually pretty good and then flows straight into crazy hate riffs in Inhumanity and Death. The whole album flows really well in fact.

P.G. x 3 is excelllent and I feel sorry for metalheads who can't appreciate feeling and beauty. This whole album is really life affirming, in fact. The Water Glass is FUN which leads into Evil New War God which is kind of a nihilistic heavy metal kind of thrill. Then you get Pig House which goes from ROCK to SOARING AFFIRMATION OF LIFE. Then the moving Big Business song. Then the moving but rocking Melvins songs (see: two heavy and emotional songs in a row, you need the My Sharona as a breather and contrast from the guitar sounds) which turns into awesome rock. Then into the slower moving Melvins song in whats probably the best transition of the album. Then the Jazz joke and the face melting METAL. Then the Brooding cover which turns into an awesome stoner jam. And then the folk song.

Totally buying this.

"Ok anyone not satisfied on the whole with this record...I'd like to see the critics make anything better."

That's a totally bogus line of reasoning.

Chomas

I'll Finish You Off is fucking amazing.  It's like a Big Biz song that was written for Buzz, and it works on a bunch of levels. 

glen

Quote from: change&suffocation on May 17, 2010, 03:59:45 PM
I'll Finish You Off is fucking amazing.  It's like a Big Biz song that was written for Buzz, and it works on a bunch of levels. 

agreed.    epic song.   
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

>>>JZS<<<

Quote from: glen on May 17, 2010, 07:45:36 PM
Quote from: change&suffocation on May 17, 2010, 03:59:45 PM

agreed.    epic song.   

Indeed, all the Big Biz haters can suck it.  :D

anaconda