PINKUS

Started by linoleum blownapart, February 09, 2013, 08:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

linoleum blownapart

the Melvins recored another ep with Pinkus.  it is about time.  Buzz even plays bass and Pinkus guitar.  Should be some good tunes.

Due out this spring on AmRep.
thrower of the bong water balloons

(PAUL)

Sweet!!! Hope I can actually get a copy of it.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

MrLuck87

Source?  I hope it's true.  Pinkus is awesome!

black stallion

Buzzo playing bass? wow!
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

moose

Quote from: linoleum blownapart on February 09, 2013, 08:35:07 AM
the Melvins recored another ep with Pinkus.  it is about time.  Buzz even plays bass and Pinkus guitar.  Should be some good tunes.

Due out this spring on AmRep.
"another"? what is the other one(s)?
Well, we'll always have "In the Air Tonight." Will that be your most enduring song?
You know, that song won't lie down. It just won't go away. I mean, there's a Mike Tyson moment associated with it now. It's just bizarre. I guess it has a bit of mystery, a lot of atmosphere, and the drums coming in, pinning people to the wall.

jules

Melvins Go Pinkus

A good soul at South by Southwest recently gifted us a strange LP, red and white splattered clear vinyl with killer, late-Eighties Butthole Surfers tracks on one side and an obscure Melvins recording on the other. Turns out it's volume six of a 13-edition split series from the Melvins on famed imprint Amphetamine Reptile, plus a bit of foreshadowing. In December, Melvins drummer Dale Crover performed with Honky, the local trio led by the Surfers' favored bassist Jeff Pinkus. Not long afterward, he met with Crover and Melvins singer/guitarist Buzz Osborne in L.A. for some writing and recording. The session, engineered by Big Business/Melvins wingman Toshi Kasai, yielded four songs, two written and sung by Pinkus. Titled "Pist Pistoferson" and "AM Radio Head," they reined the sludge vets into Pinkus' world of "big stupid rock songs." The other two tunes, penned by Osborne, utilize the cryptic tunings and oozing riffage that remain distinctly Melvins. "My songwriting is so much more structured than theirs," laughs Pinkus. "I write in a rock way whereas Buzz comes up with riffs so intricate that we'd have to remind ourselves what we did last practice. That's probably why they want me as a bass player, because I can remember his parts when he can't!" Pinkus and Osborne even did a little role reversal, switching off guitar and bass duties on one song. The EP, titled Pinkus, comes out on AmRep this spring. Many of the label's releases are in quantities of 700 and sell out quickly. "The Melvins put out so much stuff that this will be only a brief blurb in the timeline of their releases," reflects Pinkus. "But for me it's something that I've been real proud to be a part of."

http://www.austinchronicle.com/music/2013-02-01/playback/

GrimReaper

I just can't keep up anymore.

Yanayaya

Quote from: jules on February 09, 2013, 04:16:27 PM
Melvins Go Pinkus

A good soul at South by Southwest recently gifted us a strange LP, red and white splattered clear vinyl with killer, late-Eighties Butthole Surfers tracks on one side and an obscure Melvins recording on the other. Turns out it's volume six of a 13-edition split series from the Melvins on famed imprint Amphetamine Reptile, plus a bit of foreshadowing. In December, Melvins drummer Dale Crover performed with Honky, the local trio led by the Surfers' favored bassist Jeff Pinkus. Not long afterward, he met with Crover and Melvins singer/guitarist Buzz Osborne in L.A. for some writing and recording. The session, engineered by Big Business/Melvins wingman Toshi Kasai, yielded four songs, two written and sung by Pinkus. Titled "Pist Pistoferson" and "AM Radio Head," they reined the sludge vets into Pinkus' world of "big stupid rock songs." The other two tunes, penned by Osborne, utilize the cryptic tunings and oozing riffage that remain distinctly Melvins. "My songwriting is so much more structured than theirs," laughs Pinkus. "I write in a rock way whereas Buzz comes up with riffs so intricate that we'd have to remind ourselves what we did last practice. That's probably why they want me as a bass player, because I can remember his parts when he can't!" Pinkus and Osborne even did a little role reversal, switching off guitar and bass duties on one song. The EP, titled Pinkus, comes out on AmRep this spring. Many of the label's releases are in quantities of 700 and sell out quickly. "The Melvins put out so much stuff that this will be only a brief blurb in the timeline of their releases," reflects Pinkus. "But for me it's something that I've been real proud to be a part of."

http://www.austinchronicle.com/music/2013-02-01/playback/

Thanks Jules.  I am looking forward to this one!!
Al que está vivo todo le falta y al que está muerto todo le sobra.

(the) flutter nuts

WOW......

LIKE HOLY FUCK
I got the shits real bad.

jules

Quote from: GrimReaper on February 09, 2013, 06:12:11 PM

I think there are creams or a special electro-pneumatic apparatus on the market for such problems.

Yanayaya

Quote from: jules on February 10, 2013, 04:37:17 AM
Quote from: GrimReaper on February 09, 2013, 06:12:11 PM

I think there are creams or a special electro-pneumatic apparatus on the market for such problems.

<<Big fukin' wicked grin>>
Al que está vivo todo le falta y al que está muerto todo le sobra.

>>>JZS<<<

Cool, love collaborative Melvins music.

jonE5

This is very exciting!.. I love Jeff Pinkus, He's an amazing Bass player...

I was lucky to see him perform in '96 in a super tiny club with his band "Daddy Longhead" pretty amazing stuff.

oldernie

honky are playing uk soon too.
they even have a date in oxford. why they would bother is beyond me. but ill be there.
"To be honest i've kind of gone off the band a bit now. I just like to hang out on here because of everyone else."
-jules from brighton quoting - Ian from Staffs.

jules

Quote from: jonE5 on February 10, 2013, 12:26:03 PM
This is very exciting!.. I love Jeff Pinkus, He's an amazing Bass player...

I was lucky to see him perform in '96 in a super tiny club with his band "Daddy Longhead" pretty amazing stuff.
I am totally envious of this. Cheatos is one of my most played LPs ever.