themelvins.net bbs

MELVINS => Melvins Show Reviews => Topic started by: utopiablood on August 14, 2008, 12:06:19 AM

Title: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: utopiablood on August 14, 2008, 12:06:19 AM
oh so rocked.  so good.  "my generation," 'asleep but awake,' so good.  100%!!!!!!!!!!!!! awesomeness 2 Jared, Captain of Niagra Falls!!!!!  Double drums is so thumbs up.  YHCRANA SI EVOL!
Title: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: Vcavallo on August 14, 2008, 12:59:26 AM
Just got home from the Brooklyn show.

What a shit-fest. MELVINS were completely amazing as usual, but the crowd was fuching herrendous. Everywhere I looked there were hipster asshole phonies and they were skanking around or some crap.. I don't even know. Over-the-top scene whore girls arm-dancing, guys with handle-bar moustaches and ironic t-shirts giggling and jiggling, trying some new thing they just learned about -mush? marsh? morsh? Oh yes, Moshing! Yea dude I'm a real bad ass I have tattos and black pants and drink pbr and listen metal. Blonde redhead gets pretty heavy, Tyler, don't you think so?
I'm sorry to rant, but I have a very special affinity for the MELVINS and it's an affair going on a decade now. I don't like seeing douchebag whitey getting all excited when buzz starts a nude with boots song they just heard on their friend's iPod. It really bugged me. Now, be certain, I am extremely happy for buzz and dale that they are acquiring a new fanbase and making money, but I don't need to SEE it!
What happened to the days when the crowd was full of weirdos and older folks and those two girls on the corner with dyed hair? Maybe it's a Brooklyn thing? Perhaps in other parts of the country it's better - Brooklyn IS the epicenter of hipsterdom... Like I said, I'm sorry to rant, but I gotta get this out there. (I even sacrificed my holy pit-etiquette and started kicking lame motherfuckers in the legs! Sorry). Ok fine I'm an asshole and no better than anyone else, but I still don't like these phony dildos.

Anyway, tipping the lion was sick, eyeflys made me so nostalgic for my first show I almost cried, honeybucket was the most evil I've ever seen buzz, and boris rocked harder than all the rest combined (AND confounded the wannabe douchebags). The new stuff translated great live (but the hipsters....well, you get it), the (a)sa stuff was fun as usual, the star-spangled banner was awesome and made me remember that the melvins have a great sense of humor (though i know they were completely serious in their patriotism - which made it better) and the drumming in between everything was stellar and tribal and FUCK dale is good. Two best drummers in rock side by side...wow).
It's true, these guys only get better every year.

My favortie quote from some hipster chip wearing a "distressed" mot
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: Windshield on August 14, 2008, 01:13:12 AM
Williamsburg is hipster central, get over it.

Popeye > Jared
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: danimal on August 14, 2008, 02:30:00 AM
there should be someone to approve what melvins fans are allowed to go to shows.
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: ZAPPAJOE on August 14, 2008, 03:56:03 AM
Did you finish transcribing that interview yet ?
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: Brooklyns Finest PoonTang on August 14, 2008, 08:08:01 AM
What Vinney said.

The band was tighter than I had ever seen them in this configuration & sounded great. I thought Porn was fantastic as well. Seeing Dale drum on his own & then with Coady was great. Coady is a fuckin MADMAN. I hate to sound like an old man, but that crowd & their immature behavior wore me down.

And I was pissed that they were asking 100 bucks for that fucking CD that I don't need anyway.

Peaks & valleys, man.
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: ___-----_____------_____ on August 14, 2008, 08:21:14 AM
thanks for dropping the review there Vin.
It sucks that you were so side-tracked by the crowd - I'm usually oblivious until I start getting shoved.
hope all is good.
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: Idlehanz on August 14, 2008, 08:26:40 AM
Everyone in Eugene must have gone to Brooklyn for the evening.
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: irezumi on August 14, 2008, 08:36:17 AM
Chip (sometimes also known as Chet) and Becky exist everywhere. Just higher concentrations in certain areas.



Standard uniform tees: Ed Hardy and Affliction.
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: danimal on August 14, 2008, 09:13:56 AM
why does everyone care so much about who went to the show?  i mean, yeah, there were a lot of d-bags, but to you go to a show to watch a band or to hang w/500 cool people?
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: irezumi on August 14, 2008, 09:15:57 AM
Quote from: danimal on August 14, 2008, 09:13:56 AM
why does everyone care so much about who went to the show?  i mean, yeah, there were a lot of d-bags, but to you go to a show to watch a band or to hang w/500 cool people?


I go just to stage dive, throw elbows, and do the lawnmower.
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: Brooklyns Finest PoonTang on August 14, 2008, 09:48:25 AM
Quote from: danimal on August 14, 2008, 09:13:56 AM
why does everyone care so much about who went to the show?  i mean, yeah, there were a lot of d-bags, but to you go to a show to watch a band or to hang w/500 cool people?
You have a great point, but last night the experience was similar to trying to read a really good book on the subway when a mariachi band is playing right next to you. It's possible to enjoy the book, but you have to concentrate 10x more than usual to do so.
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: norecess on August 14, 2008, 09:51:25 AM
Quote from: danimal on August 14, 2008, 09:13:56 AM
i mean, yeah, there were a lot of d-bags, but to you go to a show to watch a band or to hang w/500 cool people?

Well, think of it this way: you visit this board to read all the cool posts and yet you couldn't help to stumble upon this rather useless post as well, it's inevitable.
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on August 14, 2008, 10:13:18 AM
I just found an email of what was roughly said on the interview that didnt happen.. I should post it.
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: Vcavallo on August 14, 2008, 10:32:25 AM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on August 14, 2008, 10:13:18 AM
I just found an email of what was roughly said on the interview that didnt happen.. I should post it.

eh?
MY interview that didn't happen?  Or someone else's? 

post it if it's mine.
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: Greasy Statement on August 14, 2008, 10:57:37 AM
i don't think it's BB's fault. i blame the fact that sources like vice has been all over them recently and all the trendy metal bands like boris, mastodon, the hh roster etc. have name dropped them as influences. i kind of worry that if they come to toronto in the near future the audience will be made up of scarf wearing turds who were pulling their wires to tortoise five years ago moshing, ironically flashing the metal horns and doing their best to annoy me (and succeeding). i'm not the oldest school fan by any means, but some audiences get on my nerves. the worst part is that it's not just "the kids", but goofy thirty somethings in most cases.
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: rictus on August 14, 2008, 10:59:43 AM
Quote from: Brooklyns Finest PoonTang on August 14, 2008, 09:48:25 AM
Quote from: danimal on August 14, 2008, 09:13:56 AM
why does everyone care so much about who went to the show?  i mean, yeah, there were a lot of d-bags, but to you go to a show to watch a band or to hang w/500 cool people?
You have a great point, but last night the experience was similar to trying to read a really good book on the subway when a mariachi band is playing right next to you. It's possible to enjoy the book, but you have to concentrate 10x more than usual to do so.

That's the best way to describe my concert going experiences at Emo's.  :|
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: Windshield on August 14, 2008, 12:13:07 PM
Quote from: danimal on August 14, 2008, 02:30:00 AM
there should be someone to approve what melvins fans are allowed to go to shows.


What? Am I reading a Dream Theater forum now?
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on August 14, 2008, 12:22:23 PM
Quote from: Windshield on August 14, 2008, 12:13:07 PM
Quote from: danimal on August 14, 2008, 02:30:00 AM
there should be someone to approve what melvins fans are allowed to go to shows.


What? Am I reading a Dream Theater forum now?
:lol:
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: Pelican on August 14, 2008, 12:37:32 PM
It was a good show. As usual.

When the band takes the stage, I don't even notice who's in the crowd. Except when Jared stopped the BB set to break up that fight. That was pretty cool.

You can't let the hipsters get you down Vinney. They don't mean you any harm, and they don't know any better. In a year or two they'll have moved on to something else.
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: clergyman on August 14, 2008, 02:27:21 PM
I understand that a lame crowd can be a hell of a distraction, but like was said, the band was really really good.  I was up in the front about five feet from Crover, so I didn't really see or notice all of that stuff - maybe it would've annoyed me too, I don't know.  But I had a hell of a good time!  Great setlist, extremely tight, Crover was incredible - seeing him play up close was truly awesome.  I actually like this venue better than the Bowery Ballroom - I thought they sounded better last night than when I saw them at the Bowery in 2002.   Plus the stage setup felt like you were closer to the band , as opposed to the Bowery.

I really liked what they did with My Generation - really nasty drummer vocals - and Boris was the perfect closer - just crushing mayhem followed by a super-intense quiet section - with whale sounds and big-baby backup vocals - very satisfying!  Almost everything I love about the Melvins in one song.

I also bought Dale's old gloves from Walsby for $10 and later Dale  gave me a drumstick at the end of the show - so that was pretty cool of him. 
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: danimal on August 14, 2008, 07:45:44 PM
Quote from: Windshield on August 14, 2008, 12:13:07 PM
Quote from: danimal on August 14, 2008, 02:30:00 AM
there should be someone to approve what melvins fans are allowed to go to shows.


What? Am I reading a Dream Theater forum now?

sorry.  i sometimes (a lot, actually) forget you can't type sarcasm.  if you read my other posts on this topic, the quote would make more sense.
                                  ps-this isn't a sarcastic apology
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: dontyoutellme on August 14, 2008, 10:11:47 PM
Quote from: clergyman on August 14, 2008, 02:27:21 PM
I understand that a lame crowd can be a hell of a distraction, but like was said, the band was really really good.  I was up in the front about five feet from Crover, so I didn't really see or notice all of that stuff - maybe it would've annoyed me too, I don't know.  But I had a hell of a good time!  Great setlist, extremely tight, Crover was incredible - seeing him play up close was truly awesome.  I actually like this venue better than the Bowery Ballroom - I thought they sounded better last night than when I saw them at the Bowery in 2002.   Plus the stage setup felt like you were closer to the band , as opposed to the Bowery.

I really liked what they did with My Generation - really nasty drummer vocals - and Boris was the perfect closer - just crushing mayhem followed by a super-intense quiet section - with whale sounds and big-baby backup vocals - very satisfying!  Almost everything I love about the Melvins in one song.

I also bought Dale's old gloves from Walsby for $10 and later Dale  gave me a drumstick at the end of the show - so that was pretty cool of him. 

we must have been near one another.
the show was really awesome. i agree with vin on the crowd. someone poured beer on me. in the end it kind of came down to: SHUTUPTHEYAREPLAYINGBORIS,YOU IDIOTS. i had buzz's gold tooth glint in my eye the whole time. nice.
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: anaconda on August 14, 2008, 10:20:52 PM
buzz rocks
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: FartLips on August 15, 2008, 01:47:10 AM
Quote from: irezumi on August 14, 2008, 09:15:57 AM
Quote from: danimal on August 14, 2008, 09:13:56 AM
why does everyone care so much about who went to the show?  i mean, yeah, there were a lot of d-bags, but to you go to a show to watch a band or to hang w/500 cool people?


I go just to stage dive, throw elbows, and do the lawnmower.
the lawnmower fucking rules!!!!

and vinney got slapped on the azz by a noob! :lol:
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: highjinx on August 15, 2008, 03:37:14 PM
thanks for the review.

i hate hipsters too, in fact I hate Williamsburg but I'd rather see a packed Melvins show than have Buzz bag my groceries at the Ralphs in North Hollywood in 10 years.
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: bathroom creep on August 16, 2008, 08:46:53 AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/punkybrookster/sets/72157606742938536/

There are like 3 Melvins pics in the entire photostream.  :lol:
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: m3kcomp on August 16, 2008, 08:57:13 AM
Quote from: bathroom creep on August 16, 2008, 08:46:53 AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/punkybrookster/sets/72157606742938536/

There are like 3 Melvins pics in the entire photstream.  :lol:

I just threw up in my mouth...more than a little.

this perfectly captures a majority of the folks who were there. did they even watch or listen to the band?
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: Greasy Statement on August 16, 2008, 10:03:28 AM
apparently they just posed for the camera instead. jesus....
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: Mad Arab on August 16, 2008, 10:15:10 AM
Interview
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: FartLips on August 16, 2008, 02:26:00 PM
god bless ya, sammy.
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: Mad Arab on August 17, 2008, 12:32:47 PM
Never forget.
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on August 17, 2008, 01:03:24 PM
(http://www.rhondashear.com/UpAllNightLingerie_FAQ_files/Pictures/SammyDavisJr.jpg)
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: Pelican on August 17, 2008, 03:21:18 PM
We can all play along on the next Brooklyn show, and see who wins:

You can't count Buzz for the white boy fro, or the chucks, also Toshi will not count as a uber-hot asian hipster, even though he is uber-hot, asian and hip.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: Anticlimactic on August 17, 2008, 09:52:57 PM
Those flickr pics are the dumbest pics I've ever seen.  Where's the band??  People drink too much.
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: clergyman on August 17, 2008, 11:51:41 PM
those pictures are pretty sickening.  what a bunch of fools. 
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: dontyoutellme on August 18, 2008, 12:15:35 AM
people who pose for the camera like that are already thinking about where they're to be buried.
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: meanclown on August 18, 2008, 11:09:09 AM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on August 17, 2008, 01:03:24 PM
(http://www.rhondashear.com/UpAllNightLingerie_FAQ_files/Pictures/SammyDavisJr.jpg)

boy..i didn't know amy winehouse has been around that long.... :shock:
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: rhett E rock on August 18, 2008, 09:07:50 PM
really, every picture made you sick guys?  i thought this one was okay...
(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3151/2763744563_87eaa7c88d.jpg?v=0)
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: pinkyslim on August 20, 2008, 08:07:43 PM
that chick reminds me of a hamster rat bird thing. :-&
The girl with the cans is bitchin. =P~
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: Idlehanz on August 20, 2008, 08:27:53 PM
She does remind me of a baby bird being fed a regurgitated worm......
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: WeeNer on August 20, 2008, 08:53:24 PM
Oh, and did y'all see the caption reading "shitshow at the melvins" like wtf?  And the Slayer hat wearing douchemabag?
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: bathroom creep on August 21, 2008, 08:10:32 AM
Here are a few good pics of Big Biz & Melvins:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=50262&l=8ea73&id=686615688
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: Greasy Statement on August 21, 2008, 08:58:24 AM
Quote from: WeeNer on August 20, 2008, 08:53:24 PM
Oh, and did y'all see the caption reading "shitshow at the melvins" like wtf?  And the Slayer hat wearing douchemabag?

that twerp sure liked to pose. probably bought that slayer hat at a boutique....
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: rhett E rock on August 21, 2008, 09:27:37 AM
seriously...did anyone read the latest issue of adbusters?  the cover story is called; "Hipsters - The Dead End of Western Civilization".  a very good read i must say.  i was laughing my ass off the entire time. 

Quote from: Idlehanz on August 20, 2008, 08:27:53 PM
She does remind me of a baby bird being fed a regurgitated worm......

i'll feed baby bird a worm.   :shock:
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: Greasy Statement on August 21, 2008, 10:12:53 AM
the article had a point, but it was so sanctimonious that i thought it was ridiculous. adbuster types are the same as hipsters except that they spent all of mommy and daddy's money on a poli sci degree...
Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: Circus King on August 21, 2008, 08:50:54 PM
Yeah, it was a super "hip" crowd but it is BK. There was one douche in the front who was "Super Metal Man". He has the hair, the beard, the sleeve tats and was going nuts screaming, "$30 for bass? Play louder!" Over and over. And, he was super aggressive. It's like okay, Mr. Cliche, you're a fag. Chill. I just moved though. There were people who were there just because brooklynvegan.com mentioned the show.

Melvins rocked. That's why I went. Fuck everything else.


Title: Re: Brooklyn, NY
Post by: rhett E rock on August 22, 2008, 10:31:04 PM
Quote from: Circus King on August 21, 2008, 08:50:54 PM
Melvins rocked. That's why I went. Fuck everything else.

couldn't have said it better myself.