Brooklyn, NY

Started by utopiablood, August 14, 2008, 12:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Greasy Statement

i don't think it's BB's fault. i blame the fact that sources like vice has been all over them recently and all the trendy metal bands like boris, mastodon, the hh roster etc. have name dropped them as influences. i kind of worry that if they come to toronto in the near future the audience will be made up of scarf wearing turds who were pulling their wires to tortoise five years ago moshing, ironically flashing the metal horns and doing their best to annoy me (and succeeding). i'm not the oldest school fan by any means, but some audiences get on my nerves. the worst part is that it's not just "the kids", but goofy thirty somethings in most cases.

rictus

Quote from: Brooklyns Finest PoonTang on August 14, 2008, 09:48:25 AM
Quote from: danimal on August 14, 2008, 09:13:56 AM
why does everyone care so much about who went to the show?  i mean, yeah, there were a lot of d-bags, but to you go to a show to watch a band or to hang w/500 cool people?
You have a great point, but last night the experience was similar to trying to read a really good book on the subway when a mariachi band is playing right next to you. It's possible to enjoy the book, but you have to concentrate 10x more than usual to do so.

That's the best way to describe my concert going experiences at Emo's.  :|

Windshield

Quote from: danimal on August 14, 2008, 02:30:00 AM
there should be someone to approve what melvins fans are allowed to go to shows.


What? Am I reading a Dream Theater forum now?

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: Windshield on August 14, 2008, 12:13:07 PM
Quote from: danimal on August 14, 2008, 02:30:00 AM
there should be someone to approve what melvins fans are allowed to go to shows.


What? Am I reading a Dream Theater forum now?
:lol:
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!


"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

Pelican

It was a good show. As usual.

When the band takes the stage, I don't even notice who's in the crowd. Except when Jared stopped the BB set to break up that fight. That was pretty cool.

You can't let the hipsters get you down Vinney. They don't mean you any harm, and they don't know any better. In a year or two they'll have moved on to something else.

clergyman

I understand that a lame crowd can be a hell of a distraction, but like was said, the band was really really good.  I was up in the front about five feet from Crover, so I didn't really see or notice all of that stuff - maybe it would've annoyed me too, I don't know.  But I had a hell of a good time!  Great setlist, extremely tight, Crover was incredible - seeing him play up close was truly awesome.  I actually like this venue better than the Bowery Ballroom - I thought they sounded better last night than when I saw them at the Bowery in 2002.   Plus the stage setup felt like you were closer to the band , as opposed to the Bowery.

I really liked what they did with My Generation - really nasty drummer vocals - and Boris was the perfect closer - just crushing mayhem followed by a super-intense quiet section - with whale sounds and big-baby backup vocals - very satisfying!  Almost everything I love about the Melvins in one song.

I also bought Dale's old gloves from Walsby for $10 and later Dale  gave me a drumstick at the end of the show - so that was pretty cool of him. 

danimal

Quote from: Windshield on August 14, 2008, 12:13:07 PM
Quote from: danimal on August 14, 2008, 02:30:00 AM
there should be someone to approve what melvins fans are allowed to go to shows.


What? Am I reading a Dream Theater forum now?

sorry.  i sometimes (a lot, actually) forget you can't type sarcasm.  if you read my other posts on this topic, the quote would make more sense.
                                  ps-this isn't a sarcastic apology

dontyoutellme

Quote from: clergyman on August 14, 2008, 02:27:21 PM
I understand that a lame crowd can be a hell of a distraction, but like was said, the band was really really good.  I was up in the front about five feet from Crover, so I didn't really see or notice all of that stuff - maybe it would've annoyed me too, I don't know.  But I had a hell of a good time!  Great setlist, extremely tight, Crover was incredible - seeing him play up close was truly awesome.  I actually like this venue better than the Bowery Ballroom - I thought they sounded better last night than when I saw them at the Bowery in 2002.   Plus the stage setup felt like you were closer to the band , as opposed to the Bowery.

I really liked what they did with My Generation - really nasty drummer vocals - and Boris was the perfect closer - just crushing mayhem followed by a super-intense quiet section - with whale sounds and big-baby backup vocals - very satisfying!  Almost everything I love about the Melvins in one song.

I also bought Dale's old gloves from Walsby for $10 and later Dale  gave me a drumstick at the end of the show - so that was pretty cool of him. 

we must have been near one another.
the show was really awesome. i agree with vin on the crowd. someone poured beer on me. in the end it kind of came down to: SHUTUPTHEYAREPLAYINGBORIS,YOU IDIOTS. i had buzz's gold tooth glint in my eye the whole time. nice.
gamble gamble gamble DIE.

anaconda


FartLips

Quote from: irezumi on August 14, 2008, 09:15:57 AM
Quote from: danimal on August 14, 2008, 09:13:56 AM
why does everyone care so much about who went to the show?  i mean, yeah, there were a lot of d-bags, but to you go to a show to watch a band or to hang w/500 cool people?


I go just to stage dive, throw elbows, and do the lawnmower.
the lawnmower fucking rules!!!!

and vinney got slapped on the azz by a noob! :lol:
Judy is mad.🤣

highjinx

thanks for the review.

i hate hipsters too, in fact I hate Williamsburg but I'd rather see a packed Melvins show than have Buzz bag my groceries at the Ralphs in North Hollywood in 10 years.
number 2 pencil insiiiiide my head

bathroom creep

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.

Centripetal core of soul sojourn the field vibrates to absolution. I climb toward the sun to breathe the universal.

Have you seen the bridge?  I ain't seen the bridge!  Where's that confounded bridge?!

m3kcomp

Quote from: bathroom creep on August 16, 2008, 08:46:53 AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/punkybrookster/sets/72157606742938536/

There are like 3 Melvins pics in the entire photstream.  :lol:

I just threw up in my mouth...more than a little.

this perfectly captures a majority of the folks who were there. did they even watch or listen to the band?

Greasy Statement

apparently they just posed for the camera instead. jesus....

Mad Arab