themelvins.net bbs

MELVINS => Melvins Discussion => Topic started by: bUTTHOLEmAN on January 17, 2016, 06:45:56 PM

Title: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on January 17, 2016, 06:45:56 PM
In Tennessee

http://muddyrootsrecords.com/mr_events/news.php#muddy-roots-music-festival-2016-lineup-announcement

(http://muddyrootsrecords.com/perch/resources/muddy-roots-strong-man-finalweb-w600.jpg)
Title: Re: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: ZILLA on January 17, 2016, 08:50:07 PM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on January 17, 2016, 06:45:56 PM
In Tennessee

(http://muddyrootsrecords.com/perch/resources/muddy-roots-strong-man-finalweb-w600.jpg)


I kept thinking, it must be some other melvins like a country band but apparently not!
Title: Re: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: spunkmonkey on January 18, 2016, 12:13:51 PM
This is a great lineup.  Slim Cessna's Auto Club, Munly & the Lupercalian's, JD Wilkes, and Those Poor Bastards are all fantastic.  I imagine the Melvins connection is Alternative Tentacles, as SCAC and Legendary Shack Shakers (JD Wilkes) are both on that label.  I'd love to go to this.
Title: Re: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: ZILLA on January 18, 2016, 12:32:39 PM
Del McCoury is a fantastic bluegrass band, saw them at the grand ole opry.
Title: Re: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: glen on January 18, 2016, 12:39:15 PM
I'd go to see whiskey dick.     my own whiskey dick.


PS:  weirdest line-up ever.     allow me to be the first to suggest adding "okee from Muskogee" to the set list.
Title: Re: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: Captain CoryCory on January 18, 2016, 01:23:01 PM
Three hour drive from the captain's base, just hope it's not that Friday (Sabbath in Indiana.). I have to assume there's going to be a tour linked to this, maybe a Nashville or even a Louisville date mixed in.
Title: Re: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: Buick GN on January 18, 2016, 03:40:40 PM
Where's Hank III & Jason and the Scorchers?

8-[           :D
Title: Re: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: Buick GN on January 18, 2016, 04:27:10 PM
 
Quote from: Buick on January 18, 2016, 03:40:40 PM
Where's Hank III & Jason and the Scorchers?

8-[           :D
Oh, and since Buzz&Dale are on the bill.   




Where the FUX is EHG?!     =P~
Title: Re: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: Chief Ten Beers on January 18, 2016, 05:03:17 PM
That's awesome. I know J.D. & The Shack Shakers are Melvins fans. Brett the drummer told me they'd like to tour with the Melvins, this was like 5 yrs ago when I saw them last and Denison was in the band. Going to see them in a few months, been a long wait.
Title: Re: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: spunkmonkey on January 18, 2016, 05:30:36 PM
Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on January 18, 2016, 05:03:17 PM
That's awesome. I know J.D. & The Shack Shakers are Melvins fans. Brett the drummer told me they'd like to tour with the Melvins, this was like 5 yrs ago when I saw them last and Denison was in the band. Going to see them in a few months, been a long wait.

I was kind of disappointed with Southern Surreal, but they're still fantastic live.
Title: Re: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: Chief Ten Beers on January 18, 2016, 05:38:00 PM
 Yeah, interested to see what other LSS fans think of Southern Surreal. I thought Agridustrial was over the top and awesome after the Yep Roc trilogy. This new one has some very good & well written songs, just not the typical insanity you'd expect w/ LSS.
So I guess they have matured somewhat. I look forward to hearing the new songs live, and seeing them rock out the old classics.
Title: Re: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: hemispheres on January 19, 2016, 11:34:52 AM
I only know Melvins
Title: Re: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: Buzzinthebox on January 20, 2016, 12:22:48 AM
Wish I could see flat duo jets with Melvin's, would be friggin awesome. Here's some links for those who aren't familiar with dex

https://youtu.be/V-PwqI_V7nw
6:05 is great, that's with dexs sister on drums

https://youtu.be/vSvyU7flL2E
Classic flat duo.
Title: Re: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: jules on January 20, 2016, 04:07:18 AM
Quote from: glen on January 18, 2016, 12:39:15 PM
allow me to be the first to suggest adding "okee from Muskogee" to the set list.
This has to be a Pinkus on banjo gig, right?
Title: Re: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: buddy holiday on January 20, 2016, 08:32:43 AM
I would love to see "those poor bastards".

"the monsters" and "reverend beat man" are two of the best known garage rock exports from switzerland. beat-man is the boss of the "voodoo rhytm records" http://www.voodoorhythm.com/.
Title: Re: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: LuckMach3 on January 20, 2016, 02:01:47 PM
Quote from: hemispheres on January 19, 2016, 11:34:52 AM
I only know Melvins

You should check out the Legendary Shack Shakers.  They're like a modern day Jesus Lizard.  I don't know what JD Wilkes solo stuff is like though.

This might be an awesome festival if you want to go.  I'll look into it more when it's closer to September.
Title: Re: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: spunkmonkey on January 20, 2016, 05:38:45 PM
QuoteThey're like a modern day Jesus Lizard.

They both have energetic frontmen, but they don't sound anything alike.  JD's solo stuff is more blue-grassy than LSS.
Title: Re: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: LuckMach3 on January 20, 2016, 06:37:52 PM
Quote from: spunkmonkey on January 20, 2016, 05:38:45 PM
QuoteThey're like a modern day Jesus Lizard.

They both have energetic frontmen, but they don't sound anything alike.  JD's solo stuff is more blue-grassy than LSS.

This song sounds a lot like TJL and had Duane playing on the entire album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWSnO59bFzs
Title: Re: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: fortysixand2 on January 20, 2016, 07:51:31 PM
They'll be playing Saturday, September 3rd at 11:00 pm.
http://www.muddyrootsrecords.com/mr_events/mr_musicfest/schedule.php

Hopefully they'll be playing more shows in the area.
Title: Re: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: linoleum blownapart on January 21, 2016, 11:33:34 AM
Whiskey Dick is really good too.
Title: Re: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: WGB on January 21, 2016, 12:06:25 PM
Roots, Muddy Roots
Title: Re: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: hemispheres on January 21, 2016, 12:21:54 PM
Quote from: LuckMach3 on January 20, 2016, 02:01:47 PM
Quote from: hemispheres on January 19, 2016, 11:34:52 AM
I only know Melvins

You should check out the Legendary Shack Shakers.  They're like a modern day Jesus Lizard.  I don't know what JD Wilkes solo stuff is like though.

This might be an awesome festival if you want to go.  I'll look into it more when it's closer to September.

We'll see what's happening in September. If I'm living in Atlanta or close to it I won't be making many TN trips, but we'll see.
Title: Re: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: spunkmonkey on January 21, 2016, 02:22:32 PM
Quote from: LuckMach3 on January 20, 2016, 06:37:52 PM
Quote from: spunkmonkey on January 20, 2016, 05:38:45 PM
QuoteThey're like a modern day Jesus Lizard.

They both have energetic frontmen, but they don't sound anything alike.  JD's solo stuff is more blue-grassy than LSS.

This song sounds a lot like TJL and had Duane playing on the entire album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWSnO59bFzs

I know.  I saw them on that tour.  I still think if you go to a LSS show expecting to hear something Jesus Lizardesque, you'll be sorely disappointed.  Especially now.  I saw them a few month's ago, and while still super fun, they didn't play with that intensity.
Title: Re: Muddy Roots Festival TN Sept 2-5 -- Melvins
Post by: Chief Ten Beers on January 21, 2016, 05:50:07 PM
 I wonder where that started, saying LSS sounds like TJL. That's laughable, why, because the guitarist was in both bands? Nobody sounds like The Jesus Lizard :P. LSS is just killer, high energy roots-rock. I love J.D.'s other band The Dirt Daubers too. Their last album "Wild Moon" was outstanding.
I was kind of surprised to see where they're playing here in in April, smaller than any place I've seen them before. I'm sure the place will be packed, but in my mind I thought they'd be playing bigger clubs by now. Then again, taking 5 yrs off might have something to do with it. 

Edit/add:
Also on LSS - anyone know what happened to Mark Robertson on bass? Was he playing with them the last few months? There's a new live vid on their FB with a younger, new bassist. All they said in the comments was that's our new guy.
Mark is awesome. I'm hoping he didn't get the boot, and just has some priorities this spring.