themelvins.net bbs

MELVINS => Melvins Discussion => Topic started by: Helen83 on March 16, 2020, 07:03:29 AM

Title: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: Helen83 on March 16, 2020, 07:03:29 AM
Now here's a tune that really needs more of a light shone on it here....

I've revisited Singles 1-12 discs and holy shit....there is some stuff on it that is just supreme. But if there can be only 1.....it's HDYF. It's a track they really need to present live again as it's their crowning fucking glory....well that's my attitude since revisiting it again haha
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: vince furnier on March 16, 2020, 07:21:07 AM
YOU'RE WELCOME!

https://youtu.be/BzCMAizKv80

:lol:
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: ilduclo on March 16, 2020, 07:33:11 AM
Thanks, Vince
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: moose on March 16, 2020, 07:34:52 AM
It's a good one.
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: vince furnier on March 16, 2020, 08:09:56 AM
so....Yoko Ono & Sean Lennon...  :-k
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: Helen83 on March 16, 2020, 08:22:43 AM
I can't think of a more glorious way to end a Melvins live set than this beauty.

Rock'n'roll at its finest.
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: GiveMe45 on March 16, 2020, 10:11:33 AM
It's a good one but my favorite is GGIIBBYY
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: Helen83 on March 16, 2020, 11:01:50 AM
Quote from: GiveMe45 on March 16, 2020, 10:11:33 AM
It's a good one but my favorite is GGIIBBYY

Yes we'll that is the other real highlight out of them all. Another stone cold stunner.
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: (PAUL) on March 16, 2020, 11:11:27 AM
Arthur Lee song, right? Although I've never been able to track down the original version.
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: GrimReaper on March 16, 2020, 12:16:43 PM
I loved this song and made some emails and actually got a fanboy response. Brain documented it in the Wiki. check it out

http://themelvins.net/wiki/index.php/Nasty_Dogs_and_Funky_Kings/HDYF
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: Mount Ambulance on March 17, 2020, 03:45:18 PM
Quote from: Helen83 on March 16, 2020, 07:03:29 AM
HDYF MOFOS!

Quote from: GiveMe45 on March 16, 2020, 10:11:33 AM
It's a good one but my favorite is GGIIBBYY

Specimen
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: amazonAMAZON on March 17, 2020, 07:46:39 PM
If it had been a nine track album "Lexicon Devil " "Specimen" "GIBBY" "Poison" "Funky Dogs" "Way of the World" "Theme" "HDYF" "FastFwd/Theresa Screams/In The Rain/Double Troubled/Jacksonville" it would be a classic on par with Electroretard or Crybaby. Imagine that Roll Another One style bouillabaisse at the tail end.

Of those songs Lexicon, HDYF, and Specimen are my standouts.
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: Dumpster D on March 17, 2020, 08:48:31 PM
Quote from: Mount Ambulance on March 17, 2020, 03:45:18 PM
Quote from: Helen83 on March 16, 2020, 07:03:29 AM
HDYF MOFOS!

Quote from: GiveMe45 on March 16, 2020, 10:11:33 AM
It's a good one but my favorite is GGIIBBYY

Specimen

2nded.
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: moose on March 18, 2020, 11:21:22 AM
Quote from: amazonAMAZON on March 17, 2020, 07:46:39 PM
If it had been a nine track album "Lexicon Devil " "Specimen" "GIBBY" "Poison" "Funky Dogs" "Way of the World" "Theme" "HDYF" "FastFwd/Theresa Screams/In The Rain/Double Troubled/Jacksonville" it would be a classic on par with Electroretard or Crybaby. Imagine that Roll Another One style bouillabaisse at the tail end.

Of those songs Lexicon, HDYF, and Specimen are my standouts.
Best version of Leeech too.
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: jules on March 18, 2020, 11:26:02 AM
During the year Theresa Screams was released, every show Melvins played should have started with Buzz inviting one female attendee on stage to cover that. I would have taken a year out to see every show if that had happened.
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: ilduclo on March 18, 2020, 12:24:21 PM
 
Quote from: GiveMe45 on March 16, 2020, 10:11:33 AM
It's a good one but my favorite is GGIIBBYY

post or GTFO!
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: linoleum blownapart on March 18, 2020, 02:07:24 PM
Quote from: ilduclo on March 18, 2020, 12:24:21 PM
Quote from: GiveMe45 on March 16, 2020, 10:11:33 AM
It's a good one but my favorite is GGIIBBYY

post or GTFO!
Go to youtube like a normal person!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYqv5xMTajM
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: amazonAMAZON on March 18, 2020, 02:28:13 PM
GGIIBBYY has a great lead-in and ending. The middle of the song I'm mostly waiting for him to yell about fried chicken.

The versions of "It's Shoved" and "Leeech" are superior to my ears, but not enough that they become canonical. I always thought a song has to be drastically different AND improved to warrant being on two albums.

The worst is the alt version of "Don't Cry" on GNR Use Your Illusion II. Why the fuck did we need the same song, literally 75% identical recording, on two albums released simultaneously?

"(New Wave) Polly" on Incesticide was unnecessary.

With the early Melvins stuff and Ipecac reissues I recall the poignant comment "How many fucking versions of At A Crawl do we really need?"

I'm a purist and if I want to listen to a band's discography I don't want to hear the same song twice.
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: GiveMe45 on March 18, 2020, 03:53:28 PM
Quote from: amazonAMAZON on March 18, 2020, 02:28:13 PM
mostly waiting for him to yell about fried chicken.
Id be lying if I said that wasn't one of my all-time favorite Melvins moments...
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: Mount Ambulance on March 18, 2020, 06:19:11 PM
Quote from: amazonAMAZON on March 18, 2020, 02:28:13 PM
I always thought a song has to be drastically different AND improved to warrant being on two albums ...

I'm a purist and if I want to listen to a band's discography I don't want to hear the same song twice.

What ya think of Electroretard? That's half alt versions. I think they all differ enough from the originals to compare. I dig every alt version on there. Hell, Revolve is superior for sure ... actually they all may be, but Electrorevolve for sure!

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on March 18, 2020, 02:28:13 PM
GGIIBBYY has a great lead-in and ending. The middle of the song I'm mostly waiting for him to yell about fried chicken.

The versions of "It's Shoved" and "Leeech" are superior to my ears, but not enough that they become canonical.

I like 1-12 Leech for the "coughing" outro but dig the GPT version for everything else. I can't really stack the two Shoves in opposition being studio vs live.

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on March 18, 2020, 02:28:13 PM
GGIIBBYY has a great lead-in and ending. The middle of the song I'm mostly waiting for him to yell about fried chicken.

that last 07 seconds is the money shot!
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: ilduclo on March 18, 2020, 06:27:00 PM
Quote from: linoleum blownapart on March 18, 2020, 02:07:24 PM
Quote from: ilduclo on March 18, 2020, 12:24:21 PM
Quote from: GiveMe45 on March 16, 2020, 10:11:33 AM
It's a good one but my favorite is GGIIBBYY

post or GTFO!
Go to youtube like a normal person!


Thanks!
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: amazonAMAZON on March 18, 2020, 07:03:44 PM
Electroretard has the Revolve Summer Version and that left field version of GPT. Those are different enough, but I also don't really regard Electroretard as a proper album. I hear it more as an EP of covers (Wipers/Floyd/Cows) with this other stuff as various degrees of filler in there. The version of Tipping The Lion didn't seem to be sufficiently distinct for my ears to warrant inclusion. Shitstorm is annoying on many levels. It makes me laugh at a minute, that was a good call for the B&B/ER rerelease.
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: vince furnier on March 18, 2020, 09:11:57 PM
it keeps getting glossed over or history gets rewritten, but that version Tipping The Lion was released as a b-side in 96 along with Interstellar Overdrive. I love it. every instrument and voice on the track is crunchy and distorted.  :lol:
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: ))))(((( on March 19, 2020, 07:12:16 AM
Quote from: amazonAMAZON on March 18, 2020, 07:03:44 PM
but I also don't really regard Electroretard as a proper album.
Same here. I mean, it is in a way, and i consider it to be more "proper" than Chicken Switch or something but still, yes not quite an album in the traditional sense to me.
Title: Re: HDYF MOFOS!
Post by: Helen83 on March 19, 2020, 11:17:35 AM
Quote from: jules on March 18, 2020, 11:26:02 AM
During the year Theresa Screams was released, every show Melvins played should have started with Buzz inviting one female attendee on stage to cover that. I would have taken a year out to see every show if that had happened.


Haha....they'd have to be shit-hot to hold a match to the gal who gives it all she got on the single