Melvins Gear

Started by RomanBirdDog, November 08, 2009, 09:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rictus

Quote from: anaconda on February 02, 2010, 08:35:24 AM
Buzz's pedal setup circa mid 90's:

I always wondered what tunes he used the tremolo on.

What's the pedal on the far right? EQ?

gesundheit

It's a tuner...

Those MXR micro amp's kill. I'd love to have one of those...might be getting one soon.

DC

Quote from: anaconda on February 02, 2010, 08:35:24 AM
Buzz's pedal setup circa mid 90's:

I always wondered what tunes he used the tremolo on.
the only one I can think of is goose freight train.

Like Stee

The MXR microamp rules.  Surprisingly for bass as well.   It adds nice distortion without losing much low end or muddying it up the way a Big Muff can.
satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas

Dumpster D

Who can tell me what the mangled demos Gear consisted of?

I want one of those shit import Jap Les paul looking guitars like buzz had from their origional set...looks like a 70's knock off...probly was a decent guitar actually...I dunno...I have a few older guitars I like a hell of a lot, I got one out of a snowbank one year and fixed it up...my favourite one to record with these days, it's a 60's Dana Telecaster (think john spencer Blues explosion sounding)

do you think of melvins as being more of a solid state band back then, I  like to think of them around the bullhead era as switching their set up...

I mean I think they have bought a LOT of sweet gear since they first started.

joe preston in my opinion had the loudest sounding bass in the recordings, those Sunn cabs really have a low low frequency response!

but I like the sound of Lori's bass too, subtle but solid, I think eggnog kicks total arse!

and all I have to ask about their gear....Where the fuck did dale score a 24 inch CRASH?  BASTARDS!

nXs

Anyone got a good look or a pic of Jared's pedal board on this tour? I know he changes pedals a lot and his sound on TBSM is just awesome!

gesundheit

Yes, I do. It is seemingly down-scaled. I thought he used to have a lot more pedals.

Looks like his signal splits out to his two amps starting at the Radial Tonebone...one signal to one amp, the other through the Boss Overdrive to the other amp.

I guess it is also worth noting (in this thread) that Buzz has added a Dyna-Comp and Blue Box to his pedals.

endsjustifymeans

what songs is he whipping out the ole bluebox for? Haven't seen that stomp box since stoner witch era.

gesundheit

No clue...perhaps I will pay attention to that in San Jose.

Like Stee

I think it's interesting that Buzz uses the Boss Bass Overdrive, while Jared uses the Super Overdrive (intended for guitar).  Maybe they're onto something there...
satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas

nXs

Quote from: gesundheit on June 16, 2010, 03:44:55 PM
Yes, I do. It is seemingly down-scaled. I thought he used to have a lot more pedals.

Looks like his signal splits out to his two amps starting at the Radial Tonebone...one signal to one amp, the other through the Boss Overdrive to the other amp.

I guess it is also worth noting (in this thread) that Buzz has added a Dyna-Comp and Blue Box to his pedals.

Thanks! Maybe he has less pedals now because he only plays with The Melvins now instead of BB and The Melvins.

Buzz mentioned in an interview he prefers the Boss Bass Overdrive because it has more EQ-settings...

jonE5

Looks like Jared got rid of the 'Assmaster'.

goldennuggetrecordings

reviving this one...

today my beta bass preamp came and i was playing around with my squire PJ and i got a pretty convincing tone resembling the intro to inhumanity and death. i had the A channel drive down for clean, bass at 10 and the rest at 0 and then for the B channel nearly the opposite, drive 10 bass 0 mid 6 or 7 and treble 6 or 7 and blend them to tast with both pickups. the J bridge pickup is key in this as well.

DC

It's all about the rat for anything pre-NWB

You people bitch about his tone changing because of the EGC, it's probably got more to do with those little yeller boss pedals. Skronk.

goldennuggetrecordings

even more so than that, it may be strickly if he wasnt using tweeters before in his cabs, ive got PA cabs and if you go full range, the boss pedals rocks the fuck out of the horn, but if you bypass the horn and only plug into the 15 everything above like 1500hz doesnt exist.

AKA 412s and sunn combos arent gonna shine quite the same way his "blown" cabs do now.