Basses Loaded

Started by unclelube, April 13, 2016, 11:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unclelube

I noticed recently on Amazon there is an import vinyl version with the cover where the colors are done differently than the US version. Anybody have any info on this?

anaconda

From the Ipecac newsletter:

Basses Loaded" Pre-orders are now live!
Not only can you now pre-order your copy of the new Melvins album on CD and LP,
but now for a short time get your hands on one of two limited edition bundles.
*ALBUM ARTWORK HAS CHANGED *

GrimReaper

black stallion

Is it just me or they forgot to mention Trevor Dunn in the credits? and who plays bass on I'm Amused?
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

))))((((

Quote from: black stallion on July 23, 2016, 07:29:00 AM
Is it just me or they forgot to mention Trevor Dunn in the credits? and who plays bass on I'm Amused?
Oddly the credits in my liner notes didn't even mention Planet Destructo or Maybe Im Amused! Which is weird because other people's copies here did. Perhaps it's a European difference/fuck up. BTW Krist Novoselic plays bass on that song.

black stallion

Quote from: ))))(((( on July 23, 2016, 07:42:19 AM
Oddly the credits in my liner notes didn't even mention Planet Destructo or Maybe Im Amused! Which is weird because other people's copies here did. Perhaps it's a European difference/fuck up. BTW Krist Novoselic plays bass on that song.

ah cool, thought Krist played just accordion

kdools

Quote from: ))))(((( on July 23, 2016, 07:42:19 AM

My copy credits Trevor Dunn as playing on Planet Destructo, but there are no credits for Maybe I am Amused or Hideous Woman...I'm assuming Krist plays on one of those two tracks since he's not credited otherwise.  Also noticed that the liner notes on my copy misspells Beer Hippie as "Beer Hippy".

I have the US version on vinyl https://www.discogs.com/Melvins-Basses-Loaded/release/8708087

Wonder who reviewed this thing  :lol:

Mount Ambulance

Hideous Woman might just be the best song they've wrote/recorded since Pink Bat ... and those synth noodles creeping in the background from 2:20-2:28 are 8 seconds of big bouncy tits ...
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

the bloat

This is a great album. For being a compilation, it sounds very cohesive. An excellent listen from front to back. Does anyone suspect that these are B sides from the different bass player eras? For instance, would the big biz dudes really go out of their way to record one song for this album? Probably a leftover from Nude with Boots or something... Also, is Dale singing on planet destructo?

))))((((

Quote from: the bloat on August 17, 2017, 11:07:28 PM
Does anyone suspect that these are B sides from the different bass player eras?
Yes and no i think. All the Steve led ones were obviously recorded concurrent with the formation of the record. The same MIGHT possibly be said of the Dale bass ones. The Pinkus song was most probably from or around Hold It In. The same goes for Krist and 'Maybe I Am Amused' since that was when they met him. With 'Planet Destructo' we know Melvins Lite have apparently a lot of unreleased material laying around so it could be one from that bunch. However there was a picture update that Trevor was recording with the band at the time of Basses Loaded, so it could have been new. So potentially ALL the songs on Basses Loaded could have been fairly new at the time. The tricky one to date is, like you said, the Big Business one. That might well be the oldest by a few years! One from the Melvins song vault.

black stallion

first part of Planet Destructo was an old jam they used to play live during the Mark D era..i think there could be some video of it on youtube. they just added the jazzy part. and i guess it's Dale singing

meezer

They played a west coast/ Europe tour with Big Biz in late 2015. Could have been from rehearsals for that tour. They all live in LA too and have worked on other stuff together over the years as well. If that song dates back to even the Bulls And Bees ep I'd be shocked. It's the most peculiar Big Melvins track ever.
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

))))((((

Quote from: black stallion on August 18, 2017, 07:06:44 AM
i guess it's Dale singing
I always thought it was pretty clearly Dale on singing duties on that song.

Quote from: meezer on August 18, 2017, 08:26:14 AM
It's the most peculiar Big Melvins track ever.
Yes, i agree it is! Not one of my favourites it has to be said. In fact i'd possibly say it's my least liked BB Melvins track. Possibly. Not that it's bad as such of course.

meezer

Quote from: ))))(((( on August 18, 2017, 08:38:15 AM

Yes, i agree it is! Not one of my favourites it has to be said. In fact i'd possibly say it's my least liked BB Melvins track. Possibly. Not that it's bad as such of course.
I do love the song. I told a group on Facebook that the way I was feeling right now, I'd take Choco Plumbing on a loop for 40 minutes over (A)SA in its entirety (fight me!)  :P
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

black stallion

Quote from: meezer on August 18, 2017, 10:58:37 AM
Quote from: ))))(((( on August 18, 2017, 08:38:15 AM

I do love the song. I told a group on Facebook that the way I was feeling right now, I'd take Choco Plumbing on a loop for 40 minutes over (A)SA in its entirety (fight me!)  :P

i'll start fighting you meez!  :P