Buzz's 13 Favorite Records

Started by deatheats, July 18, 2019, 10:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deatheats

At least for the next couple of hours  :P

https://thequietus.com/articles/26822-buzz-osborne-melvins-bakers-dozen-interview

Tom Waits - Blue Valentine
Public Image Limited - Flowers Of Romance
The Who - Who's Next?
Elton John - Captain Fantastic
Pixies - Bossanova
Gang of Four - Solid Gold
The Fugs - The Fugs
The Gun Club - Fire Of Love
Judas Priest - Unleashed In The East
TSOL - Dance With Me
Redd Kross - Teen Babes From Monsanto
Flipper - Generic Flipper
Butthole Surfers - Psychic... Powerless... Another Man's Sac

Q: "Would you do another covers album in the future?"

A: "I've no idea! I was thinking that we should do an album of all the covers of songs we absolutely hate and try to make them better. But we'd really have to hate the songs, you know? There's lots of songs to pick, lots of terrible songs to choose from!"

ilduclo

of those, I have the BHS and the Fugs ones. None of the others

(PAUL)

Elton John, interesting. I remember when he played here a while back for Harley Davidson's anniversary and how it pissed off all the bikers. That's also probably my least favorite of the Pixies albums before they broke up.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

moose

Never heard him name check the Pixies. 
Well, we'll always have "In the Air Tonight." Will that be your most enduring song?
You know, that song won't lie down. It just won't go away. I mean, there's a Mike Tyson moment associated with it now. It's just bizarre. I guess it has a bit of mystery, a lot of atmosphere, and the drums coming in, pinning people to the wall.

moose

And he's right. No one ever talks up Bossanova.
Well, we'll always have "In the Air Tonight." Will that be your most enduring song?
You know, that song won't lie down. It just won't go away. I mean, there's a Mike Tyson moment associated with it now. It's just bizarre. I guess it has a bit of mystery, a lot of atmosphere, and the drums coming in, pinning people to the wall.

bUTTHOLEmAN

Someone should probe/ask him about the Bossanova choice. Bossanova over Surfer Rosa? Doolittle?
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

Tobias

I'm surprised he didn't name the first U-Men record or Tales of Terror. He always mentions those
Have you ever only eaten what's alive?

Dumpster D

Yeah, and Blue valentine is one I've never checked out but Tom waits over The Cap'n?  :shock: [-X

I do remember Buzz mentioning somewhere a long time ago, that he still really likes My name is mud...It's still such an awesome tune.

Mount Ambulance

Quote from: ilduclo on July 18, 2019, 02:40:56 PM
of those, I have the BHS and the Fugs ones. None of the others

of those, I have all of 'em 'cept Redd Kross ... all great records but I donno if they'd be in my top 13 ... some would, Flowers Of Romance, Fugs, Flipper for sure ... but say like, Waits ... I'd pick Black Rider, Rain Dogs, or Swordfish, maybe even Frank's Wild Years above Blue Val ... but it's still probably my fave of his older piano man stuff ... or say Butts, I woulda gone with Rembrandt Pussyhorse. Gun Club "Fire Of Love" is great but I dig "Mother Juno" just as much; It's weird because I never hear anyone talk about that record with them, it's always, always, Fire Of Love and this kind of gets missed.

As for Bossanova ... nice little Albini dig there tho: "It sounds the best because it's got way better means of production than their earlier ones. The other ones just sound boxy and normal."
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

Dumpster D

I'm actually surprised there's no TG up there...I couldn't pick a favourite then again.

Can anyone find the link for where Buzz talks about some of his favourite guitarists?

He mentioned Dude From Weedeater as one of his favourites and I only remember this because that was an interesting surprise choice.

I wonder why Buzz Picked and not Dale also, Those guys had a dozen or so Heavy metal album reviews once In Decibel Magazine that was Most amusing. I'll never forget their review of Emperor

"Sounds like Donald duck with a typewriter"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

jonE5

Quote from: Dumpster D on July 18, 2019, 09:32:02 PM
Yeah, and Blue valentine is one I've never checked out but Tom waits over The Cap'n?  :shock: [-X

Definitely Tom Waits over the Captain.. Definitely. Always. (and I am a big Beefheart fan) Tom Waits is far more prolific and a god dam American treasure  :lol:

Of his early piano driven albums I really like Blue Valentine, check it out. I think I recall him saying somewhere how it was recorded live straight to tape (but I could be wrong about that)

He has so many great albums and era's that it's hard to pick just one. Swordfish Trombones or Rain Dogs possibly, but I could argue for Bone Machine, Franks Wild Years, Mule Variations Etc..

Probably one of the few artists that I would loose my crap if I encountered in the real world.
                       I would also be willing to sever a finger to see him live.

(PAUL)

Quote from: jonE5 on July 19, 2019, 07:55:24 AM
                       I would also be willing to sever a finger to see him live.

Me too, but like someone else's finger.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

Dumpster D

Tom Waits always tries to sound like a drunk chain-smoking bastard on every tune...is that a schtick or is he really a dirty old mumble-crust?

deatheats

Quote from: Dumpster D on July 19, 2019, 04:22:46 PM
Tom Waits always tries to sound like a drunk fried, chain-smoking bastard on every tune...is that a schtick or is he really a dirty old mumble-crust?

I think you and Tom would get along quite well  :P

deatheats

For those folks who think Beefheart beats Waits, what albums would you recommend that have a similar sound to 'Safe As Milk'?