Melvins albums i'd like to see

Started by ))))((((, January 27, 2022, 08:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

))))((((

Probably a frivolous thread, but im going to make it anyway. Here are two things i would like to see the band put out.

An album with LOTS of contributing artists involved. Usually im not too fond of bands that incorporate others into their records. I like to think of a band as a "pure" thing. Just the key members. Yet Melvins have made great use over the years of incorporating guests into songs and records alike. For a band so inclined to welcome others into the fold, it's almost a surprise to think that this only really includes The Crybaby, Everybody Loves Sausages and Basses Loaded. Obviously with Co-vid involved i doubt anything like this would happen soon. It's probably much easier (and cheaper!) to stick to 3 or 4 guys in a room creating a record. But i would like to see the band do a big thing like this at least once more. I can think of quite a few past collaborators and more recent band associations that would make for a compelling mixture and something at least potentially pretty exciting.

Some here haven't liked the acoustic version of the band but i would actually like to see this explored more with new songs. I had the idea today that it would be cool (at least to me!) if they put out a double record with the same songs and tracklist on each one. But one was all electric and the other the same songs all done acoustically. That to me sounds like something i could see being something close to the Melvins wheelhouse. Or alternatively maybe a bit weirder, they could make a record (a bit like The Maggot) where each songs plays twice on the album. So the first track is the electric one then is followed by the acoustic one. Have that happen all the way through the album with each new song. Perhaps that wouldn't work as well but im sure done right it could still be interesting.

the bloat

Idea #2 is super interesting. I like their acoustic stuff and you can trust Buzz will find a way to make it even more unusual as they get better at it. I predict that we will see more acoustic working it's way onto proper albums, alongside heavy thrashers.

I'm still clinging to the idea of an album without any traditional instruments. What amazing sounds could they make with only vocals and synths? Perhaps a Throbbing Gristle phase. Buzz has tapped into it several times on previous albums and it has proven to be fertile ground.

Colonel Cheese

Whatever happened to the Helms Alee stuff or split that was supposedly coming from quite a ways back?

))))((((

Quote from: the bloat on January 27, 2022, 11:38:58 PM
What amazing sounds could they make with only vocals and synths? Perhaps a Throbbing Gristle phase. Buzz has tapped into it several times on previous albums and it has proved to be fertile ground.
Yes! I'd like to see that too. I really like the 'Heathen Earth' track Buzz did. I wonder whether we will ever get to hear the Void Manes collaboration that the guys did a good few years ago now. Im sure that would mine TG territory quite a bit.

Quote from: Colonel Cheese on January 28, 2022, 07:55:31 AM
Whatever happened to the Helms Alee stuff or split that was supposedly coming from quite a ways back?
Indeed, i wonder about that one too. It seems to have been totally forgotten or put on the shelf.

amazonAMAZON

I like to believe they've got at least one composed album or EP that's barely recognizable as rock or metal because it's so abstract and confounding. Whether this is a guitar album or a keyboard album I don't know. I just hope it's written to be performed on stage, too. I want to see Steven get especially weird.

I'm also totally on board for any of these collab albums, hinted or theorized.

And I said with the LA art show and Five Legged Dog they're perfectly poised for an original album that's Melvins acoustic.

Dumpster D

More punishing harsh noise wall please.  :love:

I'm still holding out for the release of some Melvins/ Jon Spencer collabs   [-o<

))))((((

Im thinking something with Kim Thayil must surely be around some near corner. I mean Buzz specifically said he was one of a few musicians he would love to work with. Then Melvins are performing at the Chris Cornell benefit, recording with Soundgarden's drummer Matt Cameron, and 5 months ago Toshi put a photo on his Instagram of Kim holding up a Hilbish Design Fuzz pedal. Tagging in Melvinsdotcom and Realkingbuzzo.

Dumpster D

Kim Thayil Melvins you say?  :-k

They've known each other forever...could be a cinch to work on some things together.  8)

black stallion

another album with Lustmord would be awesome
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

))))((((

Quote from: black stallion on January 29, 2022, 08:19:08 AM
Agreed. I'd like to see that too. Although i would be worried that it might not compare with POTRE. That one is one of the bands very best i think.

vince furnier

we've talked about this endlessly but i always bring up the fact that 2/3 of the Melvins Lite material remains unreleased.

BOO!
also the acoustic/ electric album is a great idea, although i'd have to say same set list on two discs is the way to go. check out Robert Johnson's anthology from the 80s to see just how annoying repeating every song in sequence can be!  :P
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

black stallion

Quote from: ))))(((( on January 29, 2022, 08:37:28 AM
Quote from: black stallion on January 29, 2022, 08:19:08 AM
That one is one of the bands very best i think.

so true

Quote from: vince furnier on January 29, 2022, 09:09:36 AM
we've talked about this endlessly but i always bring up the fact that 2/3 of the Melvins Lite material remains unreleased.

very good point
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

))))((((

Quote from: vince furnier on January 29, 2022, 09:09:36 AM
It boggles my mind a little that there is that stuff (plus the Void Manes collab) seemingly just sitting on a shelf. I'd love to know why Ipecac haven't just put it out or whether it is Buzz who doesn't want those out yet. 2019 for example - there wasn't one Melvins or solo release that year. Why not put something out then if they knew there wasn't going to be a regular record?

Mount Ambulance

Idea #2 is cool and could prove very interesting. I think the double album vibe would work better than the Maggot style double tracklisting of electric/acoustic tho.

Idea #1 is also cool and could prove very interesting. It'd be cool to hear them enlist guests that were unexpected ... say on instruments not so associated w/ Melvins traditionally ... keyboards, horns, pedal steel etc ... this could be utilized in either an electric or acoustic motif. Or guests on say not their initially assumed roles. For example PJ Harvey ... everyone would expect she'd be singing, right? And that'd be tits sure. But PJ also plays a mean sax and piano.

The electronic/noise/synth thing would be freaking awesome ... c'mon release that Void Manes collab already!

Another album w/ Lustmord would be cool ... but so would something with Chris & Cosey (TG) or say with Blixa Bargeld! Jon Spencer collab also reeks of awesome potential for sure.

It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

the bloat

Maybe the Void Manes thing just ended up being "Overgoat", found on Chicken Switch?