Eugene, Or * John Henry's 7-24-08

Started by Idlehanz, July 25, 2008, 02:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Idlehanz

Ugh.......Long drive home.  Tonight was an early show.  7 pm start time.  No Morningstar Rising.  Just BB and Melvins. 

Kilgore and I left Bend around 1pm after a bite to eat and some more record shopping.  The drive to Eugene was fucking beautifull.  Nothing but mountains and lakes.  We got to Eugene around 3:30 and hit up some record stores.  The Record House is a really cool shop.  Another bite to eat and we headed to the venue.  After getting in ( during which I had a problem as I had lost my ticket in Bend ) I realized just how tiny this place was.  The stage was small enough that Buzz and Jared pretty much had to stand in front of the drumkits.  Not to the sides as normal.  Kilgore got his place right in front, and I had to do some searching for a spot farther back to film.  I tried to get a spot on the ramp that lead up to the stage, but Moss gave me a no go on that :)  Didn't want me in the way of the guys going to and from the stage.  Understandable. I instead had to balance myself between standing on the rung of a barstool, while leaning up against the soundboard wall.  Uncomfortable as hell, and the video turned out shaky. 

As for the set, same thing.  Of course.  But it was great.   They tore through everything like normal, with no differences.  Jared didn't have on the gold tunic tonight.  He was wearing the gold headband and belt though.  his headband kept sliding down, and he ended up playing most of Boris with his eyes covered by it.  Pretty funny to see it, but he didn't miss a damn beat. 

Now, I have to say something here.  About Eugene.  I really don't want to bitch about it, but I'm going to, because it pissed me off.  The crowd for this show was the biggest bunch of assholes, smelly bastards, and drunken fucktards I've seen in YEARS.  to the point of ruining it for some people.  Two or three guys in the 'pit' ( or what could be called a pit as the floor was maybe 20-25 feet wide ) were just constantly running over people that didn't want to be run into, holding up their giant Miller 32 oz. bottles, and bumping chests like testosterone fuelled down syndrome gorilla's.  I had some dude directly in front of me that was frying hard on something, and without ever looking at the stage just kept hitting his fists and head against the wall and on a table.  He finally got booted after lighting a cigarette.  Another guy got booted after mowing down someone for no reason.  Finally when Kilgore and I left town, trying to find the freeway, we asked a guy where I-5 was.  His response?  "How big are your shits"?  Thanks you dipshit Eugene asshole.  Maybe this isn't how most of the people of Eugene are, but christ, after tonight, I'm almost sure I won't go back to John Henry's for a Melvins show.

A small pittance really on a great roadtrip and two night of Melvins.  I talked to Walsby again for a short time, got a smile and small wave from Buzz as the Melvins took the stage, and despite my bitching, really loved the show.  Cannot wait to see them tomorrow night in Portland and Saturday in Seattle.

bUTTHOLEmAN

How big are your shits?!? How do you even respond to that?  That sounds like either inbreeding, or heavy drugs.  That's not even an insult, like 'Fuck you tourists, find it yourselves.'

:shock: :shock: :shock:
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!


"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

anaconda

Ya, it's like he can't give you directions unless you shit logs.

I am the Sun


Idlehanz

Quote from: NickP on July 25, 2008, 03:51:33 AM
did he say this...menacingly?
Nope.  Just said it.  Don't know why.  Just did.

Idlehanz

Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on July 25, 2008, 03:39:27 AM
How big are your shits?!? How do you even respond to that?  That sounds like either inbreeding, or heavy drugs.  That's not even an insult, like 'Fuck you tourists, find it yourselves.'

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Strange thing was, he was walking with a girl.  So he wasn't totally unsociable.




I completely forgot about this.

In some litte town square place close to the venue, there were about 5 or 6 hippie acoustic guitar playes having their little gutterpunk guitar session.  These two guys pulled up in a van, unloaded a bunch of amps, a drumkit, and a guitar and some mics.  This two piece then proceded to play some actually decent death metal sounding stuff, and drove off all the little hippies.  It was funny as hell.  They played for a good hour too.  Really loud, right in the middle of this busy city block.

blacksanta

Also melvins is gay cuz some of their songs are just noise, i tell you this so you all don't buy albums and find out only one two songs is good on them.

deatheats

Yeah I went to school in Eugene.  For the most part Eugene is ok, but for some reason it tends to attract the worst types of folks.  Between the rednecks, the frat boys, the homeless hippies (if that's what you call them), and those just tripping balls you tend to run into assholes more often than not.   One of my good friends says that everytime he goes down there some asshole in a 4x4 will inevitably start revving his engine in a menacing fashion.   Ooh what a tough guy, you can actually put your foot down on the accelerator.     I could write a sociological study of how the Springfield/Eugene,  townie/student, redneck/hippie split has created a community full of animosity towards one another thus creating dickheads like the one you ran into who asked how big your shits are.

EL SONERO MAYOR


Idlehanz


Buick GN

The Record House, Is that a victorian house converted into a record store?


ilduclo

In defense of Jon Henroids, I know the guys who run the place. I get lots of free drinks there, and free tickets, too.

Some guys like to play rough (weird, I know) There's a lot of bikers and biker wannabees in Eug. I don't have a problem with them, but then I'm a real big guy. I was right up close to the band and didn't feel intimidated....

YMMV, I think I saw you videotaping, yeah, you didn't look like you were having fun......

I was, good show!

Idlehanz

Quote from: ilduclo on July 25, 2008, 08:22:11 PM
In defense of Jon Henroids, I know the guys who run the place. I get lots of free drinks there, and free tickets, too.

Some guys like to play rough (weird, I know) There's a lot of bikers and biker wannabees in Eug. I don't have a problem with them, but then I'm a real big guy. I was right up close to the band and didn't feel intimidated....

YMMV, I think I saw you videotaping, yeah, you didn't look like you were having fun......

I was, good show!

The staff at John Henry's were cool.  Nice guys.  I have zero problems with the bar.  Looked like a cool place to slam cheap beers and listen to music.  My pnly gripe was the people.  Not all of them obviously, but the few that acted stupid more than covered the stupid for everyone.

I was having fun, it was just hard to get a good shot.  My back hurt like hell after the show though.  I could hardly walk back to the car.

Buick..........Yea, that's the one.

Buick GN

Quote from: Idlehanz on July 25, 2008, 08:28:47 PM
Buick..........Yea, that's the one.

I purchased some vinyl there..many moons ago.


Idlehanz

Quote from: Buick GN on July 25, 2008, 08:52:00 PM
Quote from: Idlehanz on July 25, 2008, 08:28:47 PM
Buick..........Yea, that's the one.

I purchased some vinyl there..many moons ago.


Great store.  I got the Battles double vinyl, The Sonics vinly,and the Sonic Youth Cd's, and the Kyuss cd's there.