reasons for Melvins' bass players being fired

Started by PrickHonky, August 29, 2009, 12:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

>>>JZS<<<

I heard that they had to let Joe go for odoriferous reasons. (didn't like bathing)

CaptainPungent

TGH

Quote from: conj on September 02, 2009, 10:20:30 AM
I still feel sorry for Kevin.  Even if he drank too much or took whatever drugs he was supposed to have taken he was still a professional.  It's ok to have junkies in bands as long as they get the job done. 

I think the problem was that he was no longer being professional. He would be too messed up to do shows and what not. If I remember correctly.
This isn't a time for lectures!

PrickHonky

do you have to play a Fender jazz bass or precision bass to be in the Melvins?
What would a woman that fine want in a big, fat, nasty, greasy, fat, stank, bloated, cheesy-backed, 12-sandwich-eatin' bastard?

Turn around mister, and never trust a girl giving her donuts away for free.

jlamour

Quote from: PrickHonky on September 05, 2009, 05:24:17 PM

Kevin played one of those Longhorn basses for his whole stint, not the Danelectro though.  I forget what kind they were.

Rusty Shackleford

Quote from: jlamour on September 05, 2009, 07:15:43 PM

Kevin played one of those Longhorn basses for his whole stint, not the Danelectro though.  I forget what kind they were.

I think the Longhorn came out around the HAT record.  I may be wrong about that.  He played a P bass alot before that.  

Someone around here had a bass made by the same luthier that made the SHOVE IT bass.  

moderndayviking

Quote from: black stallion on August 29, 2009, 04:57:51 AM
here's my opinion

Deutrom---too talented and intrusive
Kevin----see Lori
Joe----too lazy
Lukin---didn't know how to play bass
Jared (.........) i will put the reason as soon as they'll fire him

It is funny to hear someone say that Lukin couldn't play bass.  The Lukin era has the strangest time signatures and quirkiest songs.  Wow, someone doesn't know jack shit.
Oh Yeah!  I forgot to take my pills.....

DC

Lori played an ibanez and I SWEAR ive seen a pic of her rocking a gibson eb bass. Maybe that was a walsby drawing.

Bitches of Copacabana

Quote from: moderndayviking on September 11, 2009, 02:18:32 PM
here's my opinion

Kevin----see Lori
Joe----too lazy

It is funny to hear someone say that Lukin couldn't play bass.  The Lukin era has the strangest time signatures and quirkiest songs.  Wow, someone doesn't know jack shit.
I guess Buzz himself doesn't know jack shit.  He's the one that said Lukin couldn't play anything in time.
"Be-bop boot and shoe, ding dong the bell has been rang."

moderndayviking

Quote from: Bitches of Copacabana on September 11, 2009, 04:04:34 PM
Quote from: moderndayviking on September 11, 2009, 02:18:32 PM
here's my opinion

Kevin----see Lori
Joe----too lazy

It is funny to hear someone say that Lukin couldn't play bass.  The Lukin era has the strangest time signatures and quirkiest songs.  Wow, someone doesn't know jack shit.
I guess Buzz himself doesn't know jack shit.  He's the one that said Lukin couldn't play anything in time.

No one can play in time after a case of beer.  He still helped write the bass lines.  Besides I always heard it was a mutual thing because Matt didn't want to move to Berkley, and that the offer to be in Mudhoney was rather attractive to him.

moderndayviking

From Wikipedia....

Matt Lukin was the first Melvins bassist and a founding member of the band along with Buzz and Mike Dillard in 1983.

He left the band in 1987, when Buzz and Dale moved to San Francisco. He remained in Washingon state and formed Mudhoney with former members of Green River. Mudhoney is still together, but Matt left the band, his last show with them was on January 20, 2001 at Graceland in Seattle.

Maybe he wasn't even fired???  Could it be that if Mr. Lukin moved to the Bay area with Buzz and Dale maybe there wouldn't even be a bassist morgue???  One can only ponder the answers......

moderndayviking

Here is my best Lori story....

This happened in her second stint in the band on a tour for Houdini and if memory serves right either the record hadn't come out yet or they were on tour when it did.  They played the cafeteria at Western Washington University.  They opened this tour with the soundtrack of  "the Star Spangled Banner" by Jimi Hendrix.  The anthem had started playing and Buzz and Dale were on stage, no Lorax.  Buzz looked at Dale, Dale motioned toward the hallway they came through to get to the stage.  Buzz left stage and I saw him run into Lori in the hallway on her way to stage.  She was walking slowly and staring at her feet.  Buzz said some things that looked somewhat like "where have you been?" not sure what was actually said I couldn't hear.  Lori walked right by him and made her way on stage without even looking at him.  She crossed the stage with the same slow walk looking at her feet, picked up her bass, and started playing Eye Flys just as the anthem ended.  Buzz looked pissed.  Not saying I think I know anything about what was going on but if I was asked my opinion I would say someone was wasted.

PrickHonky

Quote from: moderndayviking on September 11, 2009, 04:57:12 PM
Here is my best Lori story....

This happened in her second stint in the band on a tour for Houdini and if memory serves right either the record hadn't come out yet or they were on tour when it did.  They played the cafeteria at Western Washington University.  They opened this tour with the soundtrack of  "the Star Spangled Banner" by Jimi Hendrix.  The anthem had started playing and Buzz and Dale were on stage, no Lorax.  Buzz looked at Dale, Dale motioned toward the hallway they came through to get to the stage.  Buzz left stage and I saw him run into Lori in the hallway on her way to stage.  She was walking slowly and staring at her feet.  Buzz said some things that looked somewhat like "where have you been?" not sure what was actually said I couldn't hear.  Lori walked right by him and made her way on stage without even looking at him.  She crossed the stage with the same slow walk looking at her feet, picked up her bass, and started playing Eye Flys just as the anthem ended.  Buzz looked pissed.  Not saying I think I know anything about what was going on but if I was asked my opinion I would say someone was wasted.

wasn't Lori fired because she was strung out on heroin all the time? I think I read that on here somewhere but maybe not.
What would a woman that fine want in a big, fat, nasty, greasy, fat, stank, bloated, cheesy-backed, 12-sandwich-eatin' bastard?

Turn around mister, and never trust a girl giving her donuts away for free.