Mangled Demos from 1983

Started by cooter, August 12, 2003, 09:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klump

if he was a lazy asshole I fully undertsand it.
cause if youre lazy and you suck at what you do, its a big chance youll continue sucking.

bassplayers tend to be lazy , no offence to bassplayers who arent! :)

Reverend Ebeneezer

Quote from: klump

bassplayers tend to be lazy , no offence to bassplayers who arent! :)

It's true. I am one and live with another one and, well, put it this way, the washing up's not been done in nigh on a month...
Don't cut me!DON'T CUT ME!
-Thrones, Simon Legree live...

Tyuge

the "mangled-10-gluey"-era melvins had no bass player. seriously, can you hear one? i hear a faint scraping at the beginning of some songs, but thats it. and i don't think it was an issue of inexperience, it's not that hard to turn your amp up.

Pringles

Yes, we dont hear any bass on Gluey porch treatment.
Luck is a residue of design

lord of heaviness

What do you think you're looking at, sugar tits?

Vcavallo

you're all crazy.  you don't hear bass on ten songs?!?!?  and gpt is riddled with bass. see eyeflys for a really obvious example, and __insert song here after i listen to it again__ for a more subtle example
Vinney "only takes 15 years to make good on his promises" Cavallo

lord of heaviness

granted, i CAN hear bass, but not as much as i could, or would prefer.
what with so many tracks of guitar covering him up, he could have used to be brought up a bit level-wise.
What do you think you're looking at, sugar tits?

Huey P. Newton

Age isn't an excuse either. There are some good young bassists out there.

ex: Trevor Dunn on the first Mr. Bungle demo when he was 16/17

anaconda

wasnt lukin just in the band because he could build them cool cabinets
and was the first one old enough to buy them beer, dope, etc??

never forget:

Reverend Ebeneezer

I remember some story one of the guys in Mudhoney told in an interview about Lukin. Apparently some band they were playing with in Seattle (might've been the one qwith Duff McKagan in, not sure) needed to borrow a bass so asked Lukin. He agreed, and the other bass player said "what key's it in?", to which Lukin replied "what's a key?".

Made me smile. Mind you, I don't think all this hatred's deserved...I mean, a lot of Mudhoney's stuff was quite bass-driven back in the day.
Don't cut me!DON'T CUT ME!
-Thrones, Simon Legree live...

GrimReaper

In the now defunct Seattle Rocket a piece about Seattle slang turned up.

This is the definition of Lukin:

Lukin - when you drink someone elses beer.

I always thought that was funny as hell. I have no problem myself drinking every single beer I can find in someone else's refridgerator.

norecess

Ah yeah, I heard about that Seattle Slang thing in Hype! The definition of a Lukin is hilarious!

Vcavallo

what "part of speech" is it?  is one to be called A LUKIN, would you say I'M LUKIN' THIS BEER, or DON'T LUKIN ME..?  anyone have any insight?
Vinney "only takes 15 years to make good on his promises" Cavallo

norecess

IIRC, this girl who worked for Sub Pop just made up all these stupid terms. Now let me get back lukin.

anaconda

I think 'lukin' is like a verb i.e.

"Hey man! some dumb skeezer just lukin'ed my beer"

or "Hey that fat bastard just pulled a 'lukin' with our keg, get him dorfmeister!!"