New Melvins Record

Started by Braykfast, January 16, 2010, 06:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buick GN

Quote from: the ether bunny on February 03, 2010, 05:10:38 PM
Quote from: turnacus on February 03, 2010, 12:42:48 AM
Speaking of 7"..... why don't they collect their funky bsides and one offs for us!

AGREED.

wanna know a secret? i own ZERO melvins vinyl.  :shock: :(
Why would you want to own vinyl? It sounds horrible and it's a bitch to clean.

jules

Quote from: Buick on February 04, 2010, 03:46:54 AM
Quote from: the ether bunny on February 03, 2010, 05:10:38 PM
Quote from: turnacus on February 03, 2010, 12:42:48 AM
Speaking of 7"..... why don't they collect their funky bsides and one offs for us!

AGREED.

wanna know a secret? i own ZERO melvins vinyl.  :shock: :(
Why would you want to own vinyl? It sounds horrible and it's a bitch to clean.
That's why I don't own a car  :)

Uncle Fester

im not a huge vinyl collector... I got a few melvins ones though. how often do i listen to them? barely ever.

MeddlingCrybaby

Why would any sane person collect vinyl?  It's only a HUNDRED YEAR OLD TECHNOLOGY! 
The true collectors only collect wax cylinders.
Fester Rules You Drool

EGO the Living Planet

Vinyl sounds great, often better than CDs and it's easy to clean. Also, from a collecting standpoint it has better artwork than CDs. It tends to retain it's value better too.

MeddlingCrybaby

Don't drink the kool-aid Ego.  Vinyl sounds crackily.  It does not sound better.  Take a $100 turntable and a $100 dollar cd player, and the cd player will sound better.  You want cracky noises in your music?  Use a vinyl filter on winamp. 

Retains its value better?  Not for the most part.  Go to any Thrift store, and check out the tons of vinyl you can get on the cheap.

Art looks better?  Blow up your cd jacket to 12 inches and your fine.
Fester Rules You Drool

Like Stee

Vinyl will still be around long after CDs have gone the way of the cassette.  If you have a decent turntable it won't sound crackly (that happens with cheap turntables and when monkeys don't take care of their vinyl), and it will sound twice as good as the CD version.  I've yet to hear something on vinyl that sounded worse than the CD version.
satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas

glen

I am of the opinion that vinyl is for collecting purposes only.

unless of course you live in the year 1982.

"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

Uncle Fester

Quote from: Like Stee on February 04, 2010, 12:41:29 PM
  I've yet to hear something on vinyl that sounded worse than the CD version.

seriously? I love you and everything but im going to have to call you a liar on that one.

MrLuck87

I have to agree with the people saying cd's are better than vinyl.  Vinyl sounds like shit and it's a pain in the ass to deal with.  However it is great for collectors.

What I don't get is why some of you are dying to hear the latest Melvins albums on vinyl when Buzz has pretty much said that they sound better on cd.

Buick GN

Quote from: MrLuck87 on February 04, 2010, 03:51:10 PM
What I don't get is why some of you are dying to hear the latest Melvins albums on vinyl..

Uncle Fester

good one.

my new rule is that im not buying vinyl unless its an amazing find at a decent price or if its something special that I cant get on c.d.

turnacus

Fuck vinyl and fuck CD's. We have goddamn pipes linking the world pumping awesome into our faces at the click of a button. I choose awesome pipes.
Van Hagar

moderndayviking

Vinyl does not sound as good as it should on digital stereo systems.  It sounds better on the early ones from the '80's when vinyl was still a mainstay format.  A good amount of systems made in the '90's after the "CD Revolution" do not have the guts for vinyl and clicks and pops are more prevelant than they should be.

But get an old analog '70's system and vinyl sounds bad ass.  The best thing is these are the systems you can find in thrift stores and flea markets for cheap that people don't want anymore but work fine.  I prefer vinyl over CD myself.
Oh Yeah!  I forgot to take my pills.....

Like Stee

Fester. I love you too, but I'm gonna have to call bullshit on you too...

Those of you who think vinyl sounds like shit I can only asume are listening on shit stereos. I can listen to all my vinyl on cd and a/b them. They ALL sound better on vinyl. As far as buying vinyl only to collect? What a waste. As far as Buzz' opinions on vinyl, to my knowledge he only ever said he doesn't collect it himself and doesn't care what he listens to music on, he never said his music sounds better on CD, and even if he did, he'd be wrong and that's okay. I still love him 'cause he's Buzz. Anyhow though this is a huge digression from the real topic here, which Coady has updated us on this evening:

@coadydrums drums on new melvins record finished! (mostly). Jared's working on bass overdubs right now.
satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas