Which Melvins release did you hear first?

Started by (((O))), April 12, 2010, 04:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Melvins release did you hear first?

Mangled Demos From 1983
0 (0%)
10 Songs/26 Songs
3 (4.1%)
Gluey Porch Treatments
6 (8.2%)
Ozma
6 (8.2%)
Bullhead
6 (8.2%)
Eggnog
0 (0%)
King Buzzo EP
0 (0%)
Dale Crover EP
0 (0%)
Joe Preston EP
0 (0%)
Lysol
0 (0%)
Houdini
24 (32.9%)
Prick
1 (1.4%)
Stoner Witch
6 (8.2%)
Stag
2 (2.7%)
Honky
1 (1.4%)
Singles 1-12
0 (0%)
Alive At The F*cker Club
1 (1.4%)
The Maggot
3 (4.1%)
The Bootlicker
3 (4.1%)
The Crybaby
1 (1.4%)
Colossus Of Destiny
1 (1.4%)
Electroretard
0 (0%)
Millenium Monsterwork
1 (1.4%)
Hostile Ambient Takeover
3 (4.1%)
Pigs Of The Roman Empire
0 (0%)
Never Breathe What You Cant See
0 (0%)
Sieg Howdy!
0 (0%)
A Live History Of Gluttony And Lust
0 (0%)
(A) Senile Animal
1 (1.4%)
Nude With Boots
1 (1.4%)
Chicken Switch
0 (0%)
The Bride Screamed Murder
3 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 70

(the) Razor

Bootlicker. After the first play I clearly remember thinking what the fuck is this shit?
Don't click this

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

senatorgreaves

My first exposure to them was on the Houdini tour in Salt Lake City.  Really went to the show to hang out with a friend.  There were only about 30 people there.  Hooked from then on out!

senatorgreaves

Then I meet my wife at a Melvins show about seven years later!!

the ether bunny

i was *really* into nirvana as a little kid, and my mom was into the whole grunge schtick. i watched hype with her, and read michael azzerads bio on nirvana which had plenty of melvins info. this being said, i kick myself for not listening to the melvins earlier.

first album i heard was honky in like 2002. it was 100+ degrees out, and my friend and i were really stoned going on a long drive through the middle of nowhere. i will forever think about "they all must be slaughtered" combined with with intense heat, and lots o' cannabis. it's the perfect combination of elements for that album.

the rest is indeed, history.
he was a mongoloid.

Mad Arab

I read about them in Entertainment Weekly right about the time Houdini came out. I bought it on cassette. Loved em ever since. Saw them the first time in 1996.

BallsFunky

I had heard of the Melvins when I was 13-14. Then I saw them open up for Primus when they just released Houdini. That show, (mainly the Melvins' performance) changed my view on music forever. In the next weeks following, i gobbled up every album I could get a hold of. I think they opened up with Hung Bunny/Roman Dog Bird or whatever. I also think that the venue they played helped. It was at the Berkeley Greek Theater. Primus shot the DMV music video that night, which was weird.

h3r3t!c

By being a Nirvana fan, I wondered some day who the Melvins are and what their music sounds like - then I randomly downloaded two songs from a P2P, and luckily I got Honey Bucket and Roadbull - which are still two of my favorites - so I guess I'm quite lucky. Don't know how I would've ended up if I got a song off Prick or something.
Anyways, these two songs blew me away, and I started listen to Melvins more and more, bought the albums (first Houdini and Stoner Witch as these were the easiest to find) and so on...

(PAUL)

My friend recommended them, so I got Stoner Witch from BMG CD club. That intro to Skweetis is still one of the coolest intros ever.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

thirdplacehero

OZMA's "Ever Since My Accident" on a punk radio station in Bakersfield, CA. in 1990.
:shock:
i eat i shit i am

(the) Razor

Quote from: BallsFunky on April 13, 2010, 11:09:26 PM
I had heard of the Melvins when I was 13-14. Then I saw them open up for Primus when they just released Houdini. That show, (mainly the Melvins' performance) changed my view on music forever. In the next weeks following, i gobbled up every album I could get a hold of. I think they opened up with Hung Bunny/Roman Dog Bird or whatever. I also think that the venue they played helped. It was at the Berkeley Greek Theater. Primus shot the DMV music video that night, which was weird.

Cool story bro!

Everyone already (probably) knows Buzz is in that Primus video.  Melvins in their prime...Not that they're slowing down or anything but that would've been awesome to see them back then. Who was on Bass?
Don't click this

glen

and the major label debut runs away with it.

SURPRISE!
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

Angus Khan

I taped the videos for Hooch and Queen way back when then I heard Instant Larry on the radio and didn't actually buy a melvins CD until many years later.  First release I bought by them was either Crybaby or Millennium Monsterworks.
...and they all sing the same refrain: its fun to take a trip, put acid in your veins.

psychonaut