Buzz on Kurt in the new issue of Revolver magazine

Started by Tobias, December 23, 2010, 01:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobias

anyone seen the new issue of Revolver magazine? It's a tribute issue to all the dead rock musicians. Anyway, Buzz reflects back on Kurt Cobain. I thought it was pretty kool. Never read anything where Buzz goes into this much detail about Kurt, it seems like he usually just makes little comments on his suicide and drug abuse in the other things i've read.
Have you ever only eaten what's alive?

zubata

Mad Arab

It surprised me that he actually was tearing up in his recollections of Kurt. They were good friends.

(((O)))

Quote from: Joe Deutrom on December 24, 2010, 10:29:31 PM
It surprised me that he actually was tearing up in his recollections of Kurt. They were good friends.

We need this to be transcribed people. Get on it!!!!

please.

Mad Arab

Its cool that Buzz is planning on authoring a book of his random, pithy sayings from the past to the present to be released sometime mid-2011.  It's going to be called "Buzz On Life" according to the interview. He said he wants to do an audiobook version too.

Tobias

I couldn't find it online so I'll transcribe it for all you Melvinholics.

As the leader of the 90's most important rock band, Kurt Cobain changed the face of popular music forever, ushering a tidal wave of grunge, punk, and alternative metal out of the underground. Here, childhood classmate, sometime collaborator, and MELVINS frontman BUZZ OSBORNE mourns his friend.

"I really can't remember the first time i met Kurt. I had a bunch of classes in school with him. I remember him as having a really amazing, dark, black sense of humor. He would do stuff like draw teachers having things happen to them, that looked just like the teachers, you know? i remember when we were in high school, one of them was a Pac-Man game that included all the teachers we had, being eaten by the Pac-Man - but it was far more vicious. We weren't big socialited in the high school scene, believe it or not. We grew up in a highly depressing, oppressive environment. And ultimately, that kind of thinking, that kind of upbringing led to his death. It's like being in a straightjacket. It was hopeless and pointless. You wanna get the real story of what motivated him? i remember when I took him to his first punk rock concert, which was  Black Flag. I really put him over the edge. I mean, once you see something like that, an extraordinary good show...I just remember him saying,  "That's exactly what I want to do. That's it. This is me." We played music together all the time: me, him, Krist Novoselic, and Dale. That's why Dale ended up playing with Nirvana. Kurt wasn't a very good guitar player, but it really didn't make much difference. What he could do was put two chords together wich a vocal melody in a way that people liked. Technical ability rarely has anything to do with making music. I was there at the very last show Nirvana played, which was the last time I saw himi. He wasn't happy. The very las thing he ever said to me was, "I should just be doing this solo." At that last show, i told him to leave, get out, run. He needed to get off drugs. If he wasn't on drugs, none of that would've happened. Kurt, he could've had a future, he could've turned his life around, and he would've been a wonderful person. It wouldn't have been easy, but he could have done it. I would've preferred that. That or no success whatsoever. I would be far happier if he had never had one iota of success and was alive. The music and all that stuff means nothing to me above and beyond that. I'm sorry but I refuse to be one of those people who say, "It was great." I don't feel that way. And it offends me when people try to make it like that. This is not a happy story. He's dead and gone and over. And I'm not over it."
Have you ever only eaten what's alive?

(((O)))

Gee thanks Tobias that was very insightful. I've never seen Buzz so simpathetic towards someone before and especially Kurt. I always got the impression that the friendship meant very little to him in retrospect but this obviously isn't the case. Have to say im intriged by what Kurt could have produced had he "gone solo" as Buzz mentions. As he comments it is a great shame that things didnt turn out differently.

Captain CoryCory

That's taken more depth than the 900 times he's been talked to about it or any time it's ever been brought up to Dylan Carlson! Thanks for the read!

TheLegitMan93

Buzz usually acts sarcastic/cynical about the whole Kurt Cobain thing, but he actually seems deeply hurt by what happened, here. But the topic of Buzz's childhood sounds interesting when he uses words like "oppressive and depressing" to describe it. He doesn't really talk about that aspect of his life much like Kurt Cobain did.

dead mike

Quote from: )))((( on December 27, 2010, 05:38:42 PM
Have to say im intriged by what Kurt could have produced had he "gone solo" as Buzz mentions.

Quote from: Tobias on December 27, 2010, 05:29:04 PM
What he could do was put two chords together wich a vocal melody in a way that people liked.

Chris Cornell had much the same level of talent. I don't see anything he's done since Soundgarden as being anything worth remembering.
Can you all shut your damn cocks for one second? Music is the only thing that's real in this queef world of dildo ass chodes.

- hemispheres

pinkyslim

Quote from: dead mike on December 28, 2010, 04:06:04 PM
Have to say im intriged by what Kurt could have produced had he "gone solo" as Buzz mentions.

What he could do was put two chords together wich a vocal melody in a way that people liked.

Chris Cornell had much the same level of talent.

u r gay :lol:

LebRon Maiden

Quote from: pinkyslim on December 28, 2010, 06:15:37 PM

:lol:

dead mike

Quote from: pinkyslim on December 28, 2010, 06:15:37 PM

i r gay? oh noes! can u elaborate?
Can you all shut your damn cocks for one second? Music is the only thing that's real in this queef world of dildo ass chodes.

- hemispheres

m3kcomp

I think Buzz does a pretty good job of blurring the picture people get of him as a person.  Because he's not in the business of being our friend, he's in fucking show business.