Melvins Lite - Freak Puke

Started by connor272, February 16, 2012, 12:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pound4abrown

Quote from: MrLuck87 on May 30, 2012, 10:09:03 PM
Quote from: Pound4abrown on May 30, 2012, 07:56:08 PM
Quote from: MrLuck87 on May 30, 2012, 06:58:18 PM

4. Worm Farm Waltz - Cool musicianship but the jury is out on the vocals...the end kind of reminds me of Frank Zappa's Willie the Pimp for some reason.

Totally not hearing this, at all.
That said, I would love to hear them do a cover of Willie the Pimp.
I think that if anything sounds Zappaesque it is Inner Ear Rupture, perhaps when Sugarcane Harris was in the band, like say, Weasels Ripped My Flesh.

The middle part of "Worm Farm Waltz" just kind of reminds me of the intro to Willie the Pimp because of the stand up bass, which actually kind of sounds like violin there.  To me it sort of feels like the intro if it was stretched out and sounded like The Melvins, but I completely understand if no one else hears that.

Quote from: Uncle Fester on May 30, 2012, 08:25:37 PM
so whats are yous guys favorites off freak puke?
Im really liking tommy goes berserk.

I love the whole thing but stand outs for me are:

1. Mr Rip Off
3. Baby, Won't You Weird Me Out?
5. A Growing Disgust
8. Freak Puke
10. Tommy Goes Berserk

These songs are already classics in my book.

Yeah that is the part I thought you meant. Some of the bowing Dunn does, from time to time, reminds me of how Sugarcane Harris would abuse his violin.
I think WTP is such a classic FZ song that I would like to think I would've heard what youre hearing.
Oh well.

Pound4abrown

10. Tommy Goes Berserk -  Starts out kind of mellow and then speeds up.  There's quite a bit going on here.  I really like it!  I have no idea why that one reviewer thinks it's a jab at Pink Floyd's Bike.  Am I missing something?

If anything, Tommy Goes Berserk's ending sounds more like "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict", if one wishes to believe the song sounds anything like Pink Floyd.

FartLips

haven't listened yet. not cause i don't care, just been lazy.
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

MrLuck87

Quote from: Pound4abrown on May 30, 2012, 10:31:16 PM
10. Tommy Goes Berserk -  Starts out kind of mellow and then speeds up.  There's quite a bit going on here.  I really like it!  I have no idea why that one reviewer thinks it's a jab at Pink Floyd's Bike.  Am I missing something?

If anything, Tommy Goes Berserk's ending sounds more like "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict", if one wishes to believe the song sounds anything like Pink Floyd.

I was actually thinking that too.  It's widely been accepted that the guy reviewing the album had no idea what he was talking about.

Pound4abrown

Quote from: MrLuck87 on May 30, 2012, 10:34:59 PM

I was actually thinking that too.  It's widely been accepted that the guy reviewing the album had no idea what he was talking about.

I've read quite a few reviews and I guess I just missed that one.  8)

MrLuck87

Quote from: Pound4abrown on May 30, 2012, 10:40:21 PM

http://ihrtn.com/2012/05/review-melvins-lite-freak-puke/

"Nude in the Boots"   #-o

FartLips

Quote from: MrLuck87 on May 30, 2012, 10:43:51 PM

:lol:
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

Pound4abrown

Quote from: MrLuck87 on May 30, 2012, 10:43:51 PM

Yeah, that was a shit-caca review.
For the life of me, I don't hear any Tom Waits influence in Worm Farm Waltz.
Reading this after hearing the album completely shows he doesn't know what he is talking about.
He also needs a half-way decent editor.

TheLegitMan93

AAAAGGAAHAHAHAGAGGAGAGAGAHHGHGHGHGHHGHGHG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M LISTENING TO THE NEW ALBUM RIGHT NOOW ON THE LINK THEY PUT UP!!!!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!

THIS ALBUM RULES SO FUCQKING MUCH!!!!! EVERY SINGLE SONG ON IT IS AMAZING!!!!!!

THIS ALBUM ROCKS SO FUCKING HARD!!!!!!!! GODDAMN, IT MAKES ME WANNA GET WASTED AND SMOKE CIGARETTES AND WEED AND BASK IN ITS PURE FUCKING SEXINESS... UUUGHGHHGHGHGHGHGHGHHG.... PLEASE, MELVINS, GET THIS CD INTO MY LOCAL F.Y.E. FAST!!!!!! I'LL BUY THE SHIT OUT OF IT!!!!!

IT'S THIS KINDA RECORD THAT'S THE REASON THE MELVINS ARE ONE OF MY FAVORITE BANDS EVER. HUGAGUGAGUGGGDSJGHFDGFDHGFDHGDHJlkjdflksdjflkdsjflksjgfd

SERIOUSLY, I FUCKING LOVE THIS ONE...

dr.ghira

That's the way i want my Melvins!!! This is my favourite band.

black stallion

Quote from: Metalhead Cow on May 30, 2012, 08:55:26 PM
Quote from: (PAUL) on May 30, 2012, 08:35:44 PM
Where's ian, did he give this a listen yet? I ask because I know he said he wanted to hear it before buying it and throwing out the case.

Is Ian ((()))?

yes

listened to Mr Rip Off only. AMAZING. this is going to be my favourite Melvins in a long time. i must cut my balls for not listening to the rest now

QuoteLet Me Roll It - If you've heard the live version there are no surprises here.  It's still a great song though and it's nice to have a studio version.  Buzz has a great voice!

isn't Dale singing?
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

(((O)))

Quote from: (PAUL) on May 30, 2012, 08:35:44 PM
Where's ian, did he give this a listen yet? I ask because I know he said he wanted to hear it before buying it and throwing out the case.
Just listened through it PAUL. It's better than i was perhaps expecting. I've only heard it once so im a little tentative to judge yet but it sounds like a cool little album. 'Mr Rip Off' turned out to be a fair bit better than i expected it to be too. Alas, yes the cover and case still go tho im afraid.

Quote from: homeless_dad on May 30, 2012, 09:00:52 PM
I love how its not just buying it, It's buying it and throwing out the case. 
Oh, but he recycles.  Al Gore would be proud.
Why thank you i play my part. I wonder if i can star in Mr Gore's next informative Pro-Green flick now?

Quote from: homeless_dad on May 30, 2012, 09:13:45 PM
Quote from: Metalhead Cow on May 30, 2012, 08:55:26 PM
Is Ian ((()))?
((())) is the evil twin.
He most certainly is! You don't want to go messing with that guy. I've heard his place is full of clutter too! My word.  :-&

Illusionator

norecess

the intro of "inner ear rupture" reminds me heavily of a modern retake on "pick it 'n flick it" (sans the heavy metal guitar solo galore..). in what follows, trevor dunn reminds me why jazz is considered by "true" punks as "musical wanking", but of course us melvins fans love this sort of "weirdness", and if you don't... BANNED!

favorite songs upon first listen: baby... freak puke, roll it and tommy.. but besides the song i love the SOUND. very unusual for the melvins yet familiar. great album!

* freak puke: listen to this song and then to yes - yours is no disgrace.

black stallion

Quote from: Illusionator on May 31, 2012, 06:12:07 AM
Still...not...listening...

seconded. i have sweating problems in my palm though
Charmicarmicat:Bastards