Author Topic: pigs of the roman empire reviews thread  (Read 10476 times)

Offline Reverend Ebeneezer

• shit talking thieves
    • View Profile
pigs of the roman empire reviews thread
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2004, 04:59:35 PM »
King BuzzAgthoth'd be most...well, indifferent, to such crapola methinks. Anyhow, great review! That's funnier than the ranting of certain users on here...
Don't cut me!DON'T CUT ME!
-Thrones, Simon Legree live...

Offline LouiLoomis

• knows moss
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2004, 05:04:50 PM »
Wow! That is obviously a review by someone who is a huge Melvins fan and a massive lover of Death Metal! What an idiot.

Offline Metalhead Cow

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2004, 06:18:47 PM »
Quote from: LouiLoomis
Wow! That is obviously a review by someone who is a huge Melvins fan and a massive lover of Death Metal! What an idiot.

Yeah, somebody get the man a Morbid Angel CD, quick! :mrgreen:

klump

« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2004, 04:39:45 PM »

Offline brian

• Administrator
  • H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
    • themelvins.net
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2004, 06:37:27 PM »
http://www.orlandocitybeat.com/citybeat/music/ocb-music-cdreview090704,0,868285.htmlstory

CD REVIEWS
Melvins and Lustmord collectively create a glacial hell

Posted September 7, 2004

ARTIST: Melvins + Lustmord
ALBUM: Pigs of the Roman Empire (Ipecac Recordings)

Two decades ago was a time when guys dressed like girls and we were all just gaga over the second British Invasion, like, fer sure. Meanwhile, the seeds of important underground movements that would just as soon devour pop music were being planted right underneath our dancing feet. Twenty years later, a couple pioneers of said traditions have joined deviant minds to create Pigs of the Roman Empire.

The Melvins were a cornerstone influence on the template of post-'70s stoner metal and, incidentally, a little genre called grunge. Lustmord (a.k.a. Brian Williams) made his early mark on history with his work with proto-industrial legends Throbbing Gristle and SPK and later with his sound design for film scores by Graeme Revell (Streetfighter, The Craft), also a former contributor to SPK. Sounds like an interesting pairing of progressive cult monoliths doesn't it? Well, it is.

The resultant project is a displacing journey into evil that is as much sludge as it is ice. Throughout the course of this otherworldly record, the Melvins' progressive metal is reined by the production of Lustmord's sinister minimalism. Though each respective artist exchanges emergence from track to track, the overall affair is a palpably dark tundra that holds a remarkable complexity that is so intricately subtle that it comes off as more felt than heard. This is not to say that this record doesn't rock, because it sure as hell does. It's just that there's a whole lot more going on here. And that's what places Pigs of the Roman Empire on a more exalted plane of art.

The capital example of the trajectory of this aesthetic pendulum is the title track. Over the sprawling span of 22 minutes, this epic song drifts between alternating segments of bleak arctic atmospherics to chugging caveman riffs to foreboding trip-hop breaks. The Melvins' rock abrasiveness leads the march in the growling anger of "The Bloated Pope," the Amphetamine Reptile chaos of "Pink Bat" and the teutonic industrial metal of "Safety Third." Whereas Lustmord's funereal cinematic sweep guides tracks like the horror film soundtrack of "III", the darkly fractured ambience of "ZZZZ Best" and the menacing warble of "Idolatrous Apostate".

With Lustmord at the production helm, Pigs of the Roman Empire is bound to challenge and perhaps confound many casual Melvins' fans who are expecting their unhinged sloppiness. But in this particular case, to get past the conservative practice of pigeonholing is to be in a state of respect for their ability after such a long career to experiment to such impacting effect. Besides, more serious fans know better than to expect anything normal from the Melvins.

This album is a thoroughly impressive project that ought to serve as a lesson in artistic vision to modern contemporaries in the metal, industrial and ambient genres. Melvins will be performing at The Social on September 24th.

- Bao Le-Huu, Orlando CityBeat Writer

Offline LouiLoomis

• knows moss
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2004, 06:46:52 PM »
Quote from: brian
With Lustmord at the production helm, Pigs of the Roman Empire is bound to challenge and perhaps confound many casual Melvins' fans who are expecting their unhinged sloppiness. But in this particular case, to get past the conservative practice of pigeonholing is to be in a state of respect for their ability after such a long career to experiment to such impacting effect. Besides, more serious fans know better than to expect anything normal from the Melvins.

Well said.

Offline benton netty

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2004, 02:16:52 PM »
confounding expectations is not, in and of itself, an accomplishment. it's actually about the easiest thing you can do.

also, "And that's what places Pigs of the Roman Empire on a more exalted plane of art"?

i know someone who would really disagree with that statement. :wink:

and it's not me, btw.

klump

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2004, 02:24:29 PM »
If someone likes POTR there is norwegian band called motorpsycho that put out a record called Demon Box, it was produced by a similar character called Deathprod, and the title song for that record rEALLY rEminds me of POTR, dl, and buy everyone :D

(im no big fan, i just listen sometimes, they are kinda like the melvins you just fell you have to listen more even the stuff you dont like that much the first time...)

Offline anaconda

• snake in the grass
  • Global Moderator
  • Onion Ringoes
    • View Profile
    • Brad Black Design Group
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2004, 03:40:20 PM »
i will look for that band, thx klump!

klump

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2004, 04:13:43 PM »
some say they sound like sonic youth...i dont like sonic youth...and its that side ofthe band i dont like...but they make some really cool noise sometimes and other times they make country records...strange that they arent on Ipecac...they are really big in Japan and europe and have played in the US in the mid nineties...

some fruit said that my band sounded like SY to, i took a dump on his lawn.

it was a hot morning.

sizzling.

Offline CaptainPungent

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2004, 03:02:01 PM »
I like POTRE....it is very different, somewhat mellow and somewhat like what you'd hear in a haunted house.  But don't get me wrong, it isn't my favorite Melvins album by far.  I like that they are experimenting with sound, they always do.  No one album sounds like the next(even think about the song Dr. Geek on HAT, that song is nothing like the Melvins, it is kinda psychobilly, but great), and I think that is what we all love about them.  At times I do agree that some parts that Lustmord adds on to is a bit annoying, but I accept it for what it is.  I totally disagree with what they said about Pink Bat.  I think on that song Lustmord did the best he did on the whole album.  It is my favorite song on the album also.  I want so bad to get the cd with Jello with the Melvins.  I wonder what it is going to sound like.  Probably great.

Jess

« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2004, 10:19:29 AM »
damn that was a good review.