Everybody Loves Sausages

Started by black stallion, February 08, 2013, 12:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

homeless_dad

Quote from: FartLips on April 07, 2013, 12:18:15 AM
Fuck yellow writing.

I can't get past the queen cover. Because its so badass! :P
My brother who is a semi-melvins fan said they really tore up this song, all in a good way!  Still abstaining but my bro's review got me very curious.
Is Ian back yet??

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

anaconda


black stallion

Quote from: anaconda on April 07, 2013, 11:47:11 AM
Jim Thirlwell aka Foetus

thanks. the Queen cover is ok,this too. so far my favourite cover is Venom's
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Chief Ten Beers

Quote from: black stallion on April 07, 2013, 11:41:24 AM
Quote from: )))((( on April 03, 2013, 05:19:28 AM

Melvins - Station To Station


:shock:

who is singing here? doesn't seem Buzz

Wow, that 4 min. intro is monstrous. Vocals sound great too. Melvins covers are usually better than the originals, but I'm not sure they'll beat the live '78 version on "Stage" w/ Belew melting faces. One of Adrian's finest moments, and indeed one of the best Bowie songs of all time.

David Bowie ~ Station To Station (Live, 1978)

(((O)))

Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on April 07, 2013, 12:28:23 PM
indeed one of the best Bowie songs of all time.
I don't know, i love the first half of the song but the second just doesn't quite work for me. A bit tacky sounding somehow which is really disappointing after the initial, driving momentum.

anaconda

Great clip! for many reasons.

I've always heard a banjo or fiddle on the original, so it's cool
to see Jean Michel Jarre playing fiddle there.

I also like seeing Tony Visconti on the keyboards, that's rare for
him to play live as he's mostly known as a producer.

Chief Ten Beers

That live clip is from Tokyo. The "Stage" double-album is from the same tour, Dallas I believe. STS sounds a lot better on the album than that clip. That live disc is amazing. A must have, especially if you're a fan of the Berlin trilogy.

There's some funny history as to how Belew joined Bowie's band. In Germany, early '78, Bowie & Iggy Pop were present at FZ's concert, watching from the side of stage. When Frank took one of his epic "Torture" solos, and Belew went behind for a break, that's when Bowie coerced him into joining his group. The rest was history.

Dumpster D

Quote from: anaconda on April 07, 2013, 01:52:43 PM
Great clip! for many reasons.

I've always heard a banjo or fiddle on the original, so it's cool
to see Jean Michel Jarre playing fiddle there.

I also like seeing Tony Visconti on the keyboards, that's rare for
him to play live as he's mostly known as a producer.

I love Jean Michel Jarre!  :D

Leroy

Anyone notice how eerily similar the cover song "Romance" sounds to the song "Mr. Ripoff"?  Coincidence? Or not?

jonE5

Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on April 07, 2013, 03:23:21 PM
That live clip is from Tokyo. The "Stage" double-album is from the same tour, Dallas I believe. STS sounds a lot better on the album than that clip. That live disc is amazing. A must have, especially if you're a fan of the Berlin trilogy.

There's some funny history as to how Belew joined Bowie's band. In Germany, early '78, Bowie & Iggy Pop were present at FZ's concert, watching from the side of stage. When Frank took one of his epic "Torture" solos, and Belew went behind for a break, that's when Bowie coerced him into joining his group. The rest was history.

Thanks for the info on "Stage"  -I actually have not heard it, but will get it immediately.. Sounds right up my alley.

Metalhead Cow

Quote from: Leroy on April 08, 2013, 07:46:47 AM
Anyone notice how eerily similar the cover song "Romance" sounds to the song "Mr. Ripoff"?  Coincidence? Or not?

I was thinking the exact same thing

Yanayaya

Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on April 07, 2013, 12:28:23 PM
Quote from: black stallion on April 07, 2013, 11:41:24 AM
Quote from: )))((( on April 03, 2013, 05:19:28 AM

Melvins - Station To Station


:shock:

who is singing here? doesn't seem Buzz

Wow, that 4 min. intro is monstrous. Vocals sound great too. Melvins covers are usually better than the originals, but I'm not sure they'll beat the live '78 version on "Stage" w/ Belew melting faces. One of Adrian's finest moments, and indeed one of the best Bowie songs of all time.

David Bowie ~ Station To Station (Live, 1978)

I find it very helpful to not compare the Melvins version.  No matter my love for everything Melvins, to be a teenager in the 70s was a wonderful thing!!  Bowie is the master of his domain.  There will never be another like him. I have seen him many times and am a huge fan.  I have to appreciate the Melvins version for it's own sake.  I am not in the camp that everything they cover is better than the original.  How could it be??  You have to have been there to experience the original, or it's just kind of meaningless.  It's a wonderful little tribute is all. Very few performers can really "own" someone else's work.  Bowie himself is one, however.  He's a method actor/singer/songwriter/musician.  He knows how to take something make it his.  He's the great magpie!!  You have to take into consideration his background in mime and theatre. He's also the most amazing chameleon.  Has anyone here heard his new LP??  It's his first after 10 years.  Vive The Next Day!!
Al que está vivo todo le falta y al que está muerto todo le sobra.

Yanayaya

He (Bowie) also has the unique ability to assemble all the right players to make himself shine!!  Stealing Belew like that was a bit wicked, don'tcha think??!!  We're sooooo glad he did!!
Al que está vivo todo le falta y al que está muerto todo le sobra.

Mount Ambulance

Quote from: Yanayaya on April 08, 2013, 09:38:16 PM
I find it very helpful to not compare the Melvins version ... I have to appreciate the Melvins version for it's own sake.  I am not in the camp that everything they cover is better than the original.  How could it be??  You have to have been there to experience the original, or it's just kind of meaningless.  It's a wonderful little tribute is all. Very few performers can really "own" someone else's work. 

True ... though I think Melvins have done a pretty good job at "owning" some of the covers they've adopted over the years. The Coop tunes, or Sacrifice spring to mind ... and they certainly give the Thin White Duke his due here ... that being said I do miss the silky elegance of the second half from Bowie's original ... Melvins take doesn't nail that disco cocaine satin vibe with quite the same vogue.

Quote from: Yanayaya on April 08, 2013, 09:48:47 PM
He (Bowie) also has the unique ability to assemble all the right players to make himself shine!!  Stealing Belew like that was a bit wicked, don'tcha think??!!  We're sooooo glad he did!!

Most certainly. While Bowie is indeed the shit, surrounding himself with giants doesn't hurt ... and while Belew is a full on class A mutant; lets not forget Mr. Slick and the great Carlos Alomar ... who together birthed this classic's dementia and silky elegance respectively.