Melvins Museum in Aberdeen

Started by bUTTHOLEmAN, October 25, 2013, 12:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Idlehanz

Quote from: (PAUL) on October 25, 2013, 04:32:28 PM
Quote from: Idlehanz on October 25, 2013, 04:06:56 PM
I was asked to loan them some stuff for the displays. I declined.

Why did you decline?

Aberdeen is a festering shithole.

I don't understand putting a "museum" in a town that couldn't give a shit about the band in the first place.

Aberdeen is trying as hard as it can to pretend it's a great place because Cobain was born there.

If, IF, the Melvins wanted anything to do with a museum, it should be done somewhere like Seattle, or LA, where people would want to go see it.

This is all my opinion, except for the fact that Aberdeen is a festering shithole.  That's 100% true.

(the) Razor

I had to look up Aberdeen in Street View after you said that. I'm amazed how similar it looks to some parts of country NSW (minus the holdens and fords), so I can see where you're coming from there.  :lol:
Don't click this

GrimReaper

I'm thinking about buying Mark Lanegan's test pressing of Clairvoyance on Ebay and donate it to the EMP. Maybe Paul Allen will take me out fishing on the Octopus.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCREAMING-TREES-CLAIRVOYANCE-LP-TEST-PRESS-MARK-LANEGANS-PERSONAL-COPY-/321142701188?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item4ac598bc84#ht_800wt_910

That belongs in a museum.

carol

Why is he displaying a bootleg cd?

very gay.

LuckMach3

Buttholeman is a power tripping emotional abuser.  He censors my posts and says I need mental health help.  He's a jerk.  Please don't listen to him.  People DO love and respect your opinions.  I'm one of those people.  I love you. PM me if you're stressed.

Start with the following link if you feel sad:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O3ZQPezglQ

Jaron

Quote from: Idlehanz on October 26, 2013, 09:31:03 AM
Quote from: (PAUL) on October 25, 2013, 04:32:28 PM
Quote from: Idlehanz on October 25, 2013, 04:06:56 PM
I was asked to loan them some stuff for the displays. I declined.

Why did you decline?

Aberdeen is a festering shithole.

I don't understand putting a "museum" in a town that couldn't give a shit about the band in the first place.

Aberdeen is trying as hard as it can to pretend it's a great place because Cobain was born there.

If, IF, the Melvins wanted anything to do with a museum, it should be done somewhere like Seattle, or LA, where people would want to go see it.

This is all my opinion, except for the fact that Aberdeen is a festering shithole.  That's 100% true.

True story, I was at the EMP museum today in Seattle and they are featuring Jimi Hendrix and Nirvana this month. In the Nirvana section where its displaying a whole ton of old instruments they played and albums that influenced them, there is a poster for an early Melvins show with Nirvana opening and a picture from 1986 of Kurt and Buzz hanging out with two other guys.

.....if ya'lls wanna see ask I'll post the pictures. I'm just super lazy right now.

Idlehanz

The Nirvana and Hendrix display has been up for at least a year.

What did ya think of that giant guitar display when you first walk in?

Jaron

That was some amazing stuff. I really went for the horror/sci-fi thing which I loved just as equally.

What got me though is that on the 2nd floor they had instruments set up for people to play and I'm not a great musician, but I've been playing bass and drums for about a good solid 10 years. They had live drums set up in little rooms with windows you can peek in and watch and I must've played the drums for a good half hour. I found it funny on account people were in there looking at this stuff in a museum. I can't really describe the feeling of how I felt to accurately, since I just woke up I'm a little groggy, but it was just weird to see because I play instruments all the time and these folks were posing with the stuff like, "Look it me I'm rock star." Hahaha! It wasn't a big crowd of folks thankfully, but I did hold a sense of pride playing the drums and people peeking in and snapping video of me drumming. It was a pretty good feel.

GrimReaper

I took my brother and his daughter, who live out of town, to EMP and we played a song as the band "Fuzzy". Didn't buy the video or the picture but she had a great time and that's what it's all about.

Tobias

Just seeing the pictures and I'm not impressed. My collection is better than what they are showing. It's not really a "museum" it's just some dudes showing off their collection. It's not like they have any of Buzz's old guitars or anything. It's Aberdeens idea of a "museum". I guess they have a couch that Cobain once slept on and if you make a donation they'll let you take a photo of you sitting on it. Whoopdefrickindoo. I hate to admit but the next time I go back to Grays Harbor I'll probably check out the "museum"
Have you ever only eaten what's alive?

Idlehanz

Quote from: Tobias on November 13, 2013, 06:21:58 PM
Just seeing the pictures and I'm not impressed. My collection is better than what they are showing. It's not really a "museum" it's just some dudes showing off their collection. It's not like they have any of Buzz's old guitars or anything. It's Aberdeens idea of a "museum". I guess they have a couch that Cobain once slept on and if you make a donation they'll let you take a photo of you sitting on it. Whoopdefrickindoo. I hate to admit but the next time I go back to Grays Harbor I'll probably check out the "museum"

You've been to Grays Harbor? 

Sorry to hear that.

http://kxro.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/nirvana-and-melvins-exhibit-at-aberdeen-museum-of-history/

I'm fine with the city/museum trying to make money.  No problem.  But Aberdeen has a MASSIVE unemployment problem, a MASSIVE drug problem, and a MASSIVE suicide problem.  Maybe work on that before charging people to sit on a fucking couch? Put that money into food banks? Or the local hospitals and mental health programs?  Or recovery programs?

Instead of trying to make bank off a dead man, who's legacy should be left to those who discover good music and appreciate it?

Buckwheat

Quote from: Idlehanz on November 13, 2013, 06:52:06 PM
Quote from: Tobias on November 13, 2013, 06:21:58 PM

You've been to Grays Harbor? 

Sorry to hear that.

http://kxro.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/nirvana-and-melvins-exhibit-at-aberdeen-museum-of-history/

I'm fine with the city/museum trying to make money.  No problem.  But Aberdeen has a MASSIVE unemployment problem, a MASSIVE drug problem, and a MASSIVE suicide problem.  Maybe work on that before charging people to sit on a fucking couch? Put that money into food banks? Or the local hospitals and mental health programs?  Or recovery programs?

Instead of trying to make bank off a dead man, who's legacy should be left to those who discover good music and appreciate it?
I understand the hate, but you shouldn't shit on their little museum, because for some living there it's a meaningful thing. 

Plus, the lukin shirt is really rare.

Hot Pants

the poor neckholes on those beautiful shirts getting raped by those wire hangers.

so sad.
the place where i sleep is cold and abandoned
you can't even fathom a hole being dug so deep

(the) Razor

Quote from: Buckwheat on November 13, 2013, 08:22:53 PM
I understand the hate, but you shouldn't shit on their little museum, because for some living there it's a meaningful thing. 

Exactly, pretty poor form. Especially when it is such a good cause we are talking about here.

I'm sure they'll acquire more things over the years, but to knock these guys is pretty weak.
Don't click this

John Schuller

Quote from: (the) Razor on November 14, 2013, 02:22:08 AM
Quote from: Buckwheat on November 13, 2013, 08:22:53 PM

Exactly, pretty poor form. Especially when it is such a good cause we are talking about here.

I'm sure they'll acquire more things over the years, but to knock these guys is pretty weak.

Agreed. Start your own fucking museum if this one ain't good enough for ya.