The Mindset That The Melvins Did A Lot Of Great Stuff Before 1993,

Started by meezer, August 12, 2014, 10:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Howdy

Quote from: Bro Hammer on August 15, 2014, 12:25:47 AM
Quote from: Captain Howdy on August 14, 2014, 04:37:34 PM
Quote from: spunkmonkey on August 14, 2014, 12:58:36 PM
QuoteWhen I saw them do Houdini and Egg Nog/Lysol in SF with Trevor as a three piece it was fucking dark and scary and weird and fucked

Those shows were fantastic.

:( Can't believe I missed that tour.
it wasn't much of a tour. I think they only did LA and SF with that line up. The residency tour was with Big Melvins.

You're right. I was thinking of the Freak Puke tour. Can't believe I missed that one too.  :(

John Schuller

Quote from: meezer on August 12, 2014, 10:06:40 AM
But since then,it's all downhill. That's what I hear, with my rabbit ears.
This has always confounded me.
I've grown to love, like, or accept lots of Melvins material from before Houdini,
but I keep reading stuff that people post about how the Melvins
Need to fire Big Biz and rehire Joe Preston.
Or they were much better on Eggnog (yes, Hank Rollins, Nutmeg!).
Or that Gluey Porch Treatments is as good as they'll ever get.

Then there's Bullhead. That's a whole other chapter.

Ad nauseam.........

So, am I crazy?
Is it okay to think that Houdini-forward is the better half of the catalogue?
Is it alright if my top five list contains Freak Puke, Nude With Boots,
The Maggot, Stag and Houdini (at this time)?
Am I not a real Melvins fan?

I wouldn't concern yourself with any of the above. Everyone has their favorite Melvins albums, favorite eras - no one is right / no one is wrong.

I seriously love Gluey Porch Treatments and the songs on Deep Six as those were the first Melvins recordings I ever had and I first saw them in 1987 and they blew my world wide open.

I also really love Lysol because it is the heaviest shit ever and there is a Flipper cover. I never saw the Preston lineup live and wish I could have.

I also really love Houdini because it is the first time the Melvins really embraced all of their styles in one album (heavy, slow, fast, simple straight ahead, totally fucked up, KISS cover) - I mean that is a seriously amazing album.

I really loved the Kevin era for the Melvins live. Kevin is so twisted and fucked up with his playing. I really loved the Mark D era for the Melvins live. Mark's playing is deep and full of knowledge. Big Biz lineup is not my favorite live, but I fucking love that lineup live more than most other bands in the world.

I think the Melvins are like Pizza. It's all good, some I like more than others. But even the worst pizza is better than no pizza at all and better than most foods! :)

I also love every other album and every other era. Those three kind of stand out as my favorites, but I don't think there is anything wrong with whatever anyone thinks their favorite albums / line ups are.

meezer

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

John Schuller

Quote from: meezer on August 17, 2014, 08:44:48 PM
=D> KISS forum banned one hell of a member.
Their loss.

Those KISS Know-It-Alls were the worst believe me. There is a similar debate with KISS fans - that KISS from 73-77 is the best KISS and the rest is horrible, and those that love every era of KISS. And man it is like a civil fucking war going on. Or like a Ford vs. Chevy debate. But with total morons on both sides.

meezer

Quote from: sadcorps on August 18, 2014, 12:23:57 AM
Quote from: meezer on August 17, 2014, 08:44:48 PM
=D> KISS forum banned one hell of a member.
Their loss.

Those KISS Know-It-Alls were the worst believe me. There is a similar debate with KISS fans - that KISS from 73-77 is the best KISS and the rest is horrible, and those that love every era of KISS. And man it is like a civil fucking war going on. Or like a Ford vs. Chevy debate. But with total morons on both sides.
:lol:
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Captain Howdy

Quote from: sadcorps on August 18, 2014, 12:23:57 AMOr like a Ford vs. Chevy debate. But with total morons on both sides.

So it's exactly like a Ford vs Chevy debate then. Everyone knows Dodge is the best.

John Schuller

Quote from: Captain Howdy on August 18, 2014, 11:25:08 AM
Quote from: sadcorps on August 18, 2014, 12:23:57 AMOr like a Ford vs. Chevy debate. But with total morons on both sides.

So it's exactly like a Ford vs Chevy debate then. Everyone knows Dodge is the best.

Hahahahahhaha!!!! Good catch!  :D

anaconda

vince furnier

Welcome to my Nightmare!
inbox is currently 82% full. TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK!
"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian

LuckMach3

Dr Mule >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Going Blind, Set Me Straight, Sky Pup, Joan of Arc, Teet, Copache, Pearl Bomb, Spread Eagle Beagle
Buttholeman is a power tripping emotional abuser.  He censors my posts and says I need mental health help.  He's a jerk.  Please don't listen to him.  People DO love and respect your opinions.  I'm one of those people.  I love you. PM me if you're stressed.

Start with the following link if you feel sad:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O3ZQPezglQ

Bro Hammer

Quote from: LuckMach3 on August 21, 2014, 02:32:32 PM
Dr Mule >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Going Blind, Set Me Straight, Sky Pup, Joan of Arc, Teet, Copache, Pearl Bomb, Spread Eagle Beagle
Agreed, except I love Sky Pup and especially Pearl Bomb.

meezer

meezer

drumfreak:)

QuoteDr Mule >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Going Blind, Set Me Straight, Sky Pup, Joan of Arc, Teet, Copache, Pearl Bomb, Spread Eagle Beagle
BLASPHEMY

QuoteThose KISS Know-It-Alls were the worst believe me. There is a similar debate with KISS fans - that KISS from 73-77 is the best KISS and the rest is horrible, and those that love every era of KISS. And man it is like a civil fucking war going on. Or like a Ford vs. Chevy debate. But with total morons on both sides.

oh my god. this is fucking bullshit. they should be like me and there wouldn´t be any arguments, because I hate kiss...no matter what :D

I like every melvins "era" but especially Lukin, Preston, D and Kevin. Those are most outstanding. The BigBizMelvins thing has got kinda boring for me. At first I was like "HELL YEAH THIS IS A SHITLOAD OF DRUMMING THAT I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO REPRODUCE" but then it just wore off for me.
I think Joe was a great addition to them, because he may be a really lazy asshole but his playing just fitted theirs reeeally well.
Lukin was the first bassist and yeah....he played bass on eye flys. And I seriously love eye flys.
Mark just played really smooth and I love his bass playing (example: intro of revolve).
And kevin was just wicked. He plays like no one else :D
Has two bands with ridicolous names.