Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins

Started by buddy holiday, April 29, 2016, 01:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


Bigval

QuoteYet, you've always made a point of making most of your catalog available on vinyl, including some limited edition pressings, on Amphetamine Reptile Records. It's really frustrating to see those get snapped up by flippers and immediately resold.

Dale: But the music is out there, on the internet.

Buzz: This stuff is not as valuable as people imagine it to be.  Let's look at it this way: we've had these (War Pussy10") available at the show, during the entire tour. We've been selling them for $40 apiece, cheaper than you'll find them anywhere else.  On this tour, we've played to thousands of people and still can't sell more than a few dozen of these. You can walk up to the merch booth right now and buy as many of these as you'd like.

Dale: And you can flip 'em (laughs)

:lol:

Chief Ten Beers

 I'm sort of glad they're not selling many of the AmRep singles on the tours lately. Those AmRep vinyl items are targeted to hardcore collectors. It's like the band is more interested in immediately competing with the flippers than moving product at a reasonable enough price to turn a profit . When Buzz says "we've got 'em cheaper than anywhere else", what does he mean, cheaper than discogs or ebay? Of course they are by a few bucks. The only place to buy them while supporting the band is at a show, or through OXOP.

I'm not complaining, just stating the facts I see. I don't care to be an AmRep Melvins vinyl completist. I'll be glad to have the Basses Loaded vinyl on Ipecac for like $15.

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on April 29, 2016, 05:14:30 PM
When Buzz says "we've got 'em cheaper than anywhere else", what does he mean, cheaper than discogs or ebay?
Yep.  It was a good way (meaning more money for the band) of selling the extra tri colored clown singles. 

I'm curious to see how the melvins evolve in the future with collectables- if they continue with the alternate sleeves for singles and cds, or maybe try something new.  Also, I'm wondering how high they can price things before people stop buying.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!


"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

Stonergrunge

Quote from: DAYSTAR on April 29, 2016, 08:40:10 PM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on April 29, 2016, 05:23:52 PM
Also, I'm wondering how high they can price things before people stop buying.
you're right bhm, for how long? I am one of the people camped out in front of my computer waiting for the clock to strike the hour, but I gotta say I buy a lot of records online and AmRep makes me work the hardest to get them to take my money.

For how long? I guess the answer is quite simple... forever. Because no matter how, there is always going to be someone willing to pay, no matter the price. Think of Wu-Tang Clan's "Once upon a time in Shaolin", for instance.

cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: Stonergrunge on April 29, 2016, 09:21:35 PM
Quote from: DAYSTAR on April 29, 2016, 08:40:10 PM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on April 29, 2016, 05:23:52 PM
Also, I'm wondering how high they can price things before people stop buying.
you're right bhm, for how long? I am one of the people camped out in front of my computer waiting for the clock to strike the hour, but I gotta say I buy a lot of records online and AmRep makes me work the hardest to get them to take my money.

For how long? I guess the answer is quite simple... forever. Because no matter how, there is always going to be someone willing to pay, no matter the price. Think of Wu-Tang Clan's "Once upon a time in Shaolin", for instance.
Forever?  You increase the price of each successive release, you're going to see a drop in the amount of records sold.  I'm thinking the melvins want to make the most money possible, so they'll look for the sweet spot, where you have a max return.  You used the example of the wu-tang album- they sold one for 2 million, but look at how much 'enter the wu-tang', or 'wu-tang forver' sold for- they made more money off of each of those albums, because they sold a lot more.

People are spending a ton on vinyl currently, but is it something that's going to last? 
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!


"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

(the) Razor

In the article, Buzz  talked about the sweet spot of how to price things and the quantity in which they sell it, they already found it. The vinyl resurgence is just that though, a resurgence. It's cool but won't be sustainable when the Spotify/streaming generation grows up.
Don't click this

Stonergrunge

Well, I honestly haven't noticed any indicator that this vinyl resurgence is going away and it's been quite a while so far so... who knows?

Besides, most of the bands that I listen to have always released stuff on vinyl (Soundgarden, Nirvana, Melvins, Tool, Kyuss, Electric Wizard...) throughout their careers, so I can't see them as a part of the "vinyl revival" camp.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

meezer

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

the ether bunny

Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on April 29, 2016, 05:23:52 PM
Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on April 29, 2016, 05:14:30 PM
When Buzz says "we've got 'em cheaper than anywhere else", what does he mean, cheaper than discogs or ebay?
Yep.  It was a good way (meaning more money for the band) of selling the extra tri colored clown singles. 

I'm curious to see how the melvins evolve in the future with collectables- if they continue with the alternate sleeves for singles and cds, or maybe try something new.  Also, I'm wondering how high they can price things before people stop buying.

They'll make their money.

I've been saying this for years. This band has done merch right, even during the days of Napster. Release limited edition items, and the public will eat it right up. The lettepress CD' sell on the after market for $450. How much is that foetus in a jar running for these days? The record industry is finally catching up. Record Store Day is a shining example. Talk about the Black Friday of music sales....
he was a mongoloid.

meezer

Quote from: ))))(((( on April 30, 2016, 07:42:11 AM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on April 29, 2016, 09:44:28 PM
People are spending a ton on vinyl currently, but is it something that's going to last?
In a word - no. No it won't but i can't say how long it will be until it doesn't. Melvins can probably ride it for as long as they will be active as a band i would imagine. Personally though, i don't understand why younger generations are getting into vinyl or music as physical product. We're in end game, digital has already won. Vinyl might well be experiencing this so called "resurgence" we keep hearing about but i don't see that making much difference. At least long term. I agree with Buzz that CD is still easily the best for actual listening, while digital is wonderfully convenient. What does vinyl have going for it? That it's the best at taking up space around the home?? It certainly isn't winning in listening quality or cost.
Pressing plants are in full production and everything is on backorder. New plants are being brought online. It will never be what it was, but there's tangible proof that people who grow up on digital music and downloads (they may or may not have payed for) are still enticed by a pretty package and media they can hold in their hands.
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Stonergrunge

Quote from: ))))(((( on April 30, 2016, 07:42:11 AM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on April 29, 2016, 09:44:28 PM
People are spending a ton on vinyl currently, but is it something that's going to last?
Personally though, i don't understand why younger generations are getting into vinyl or music as physical product. We're in end game, digital has already won.

Well, this is the funny part... the younger generation have no idea that digital has already won, that's why they buy vinyls.  :-$

I do believe virtual lossless files are the future of the music industry in big terms, but I still don't see any sign of decay of this so called vinyl revival and CDs are still being manufactured massively.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

coreystevens88

I'm sure I can't be the only one here that CANNOT WAIT for Houdini, Stoner Witch and Hag pressed by Third Man!!

Stonergrunge

Quote from: ))))(((( on April 30, 2016, 12:52:11 PM
Quote from: Stonergrunge on April 30, 2016, 12:11:16 PM
but I still don't see any sign of decay of this so called vinyl revival and CDs are still being manufactured massively.
I think we are still in a sort of transitional phase. After all, digital music is still a relatively new thing. Give it 30 years or so and i would be surprised if people, the majority of people that is, are still interested in physical mediums.

Don't forget that a CD is not only a physical medium but also a digital format originally released in 1982... Although the (for today's standards) prehistorical LaserDisc was the first optical medium that offered digital audio, but that occured later since the firsts versions had purely analog sound... So digital music has been around "at least" for the last 34 years.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

Dumpster D

people will always be interested in physical media, especially Vinyl of all things, because records are like books, they can last indefinitely.