Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins

Started by buddy holiday, April 29, 2016, 01:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

John Schuller

Quote from: Dumpster D on April 30, 2016, 07:47:56 PM
people will always be interested in physical media, especially Vinyl of all things, because records are like books, they can last indefinitely.

This.

GrimReaper


FartLips

A great way for me to decide whether buying a record or bootlegging it on the Internet is pricing it at 40 a pop. Brilliant!
Judy is mad.🤣

Ghorn

Buzz: This stuff is not as valuable as people imagine it to be.  Let's look at it this way: we've had these (War Pussy10") available at the show, during the entire tour. We've been selling them for $40 apiece, cheaper than you'll find them anywhere else.  On this tour, we've played to thousands of people and still can't sell more than a few dozen of these. You can walk up to the merch booth right now and buy as many of these as you'd like.

That's odd... There were not any records for sale at the NYC show. Lame.

Dumpster D

I got a War Pussy Ten inch, Fifty bucks Canadian currency.  :evil:



[attachment deleted by admin]

Ghorn


FartLips

These days i feel much better about selling my vinyl. Still got a couple left!
Judy is mad.🤣

Captain CoryCory

Quote from: meezer on April 30, 2016, 07:53:11 AM
Quote from: ))))(((( on April 30, 2016, 07:42:11 AM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on April 29, 2016, 09:44:28 PM
People are spending a ton on vinyl currently, but is it something that's going to last?
In a word - no. No it won't but i can't say how long it will be until it doesn't. Melvins can probably ride it for as long as they will be active as a band i would imagine. Personally though, i don't understand why younger generations are getting into vinyl or music as physical product. We're in end game, digital has already won. Vinyl might well be experiencing this so called "resurgence" we keep hearing about but i don't see that making much difference. At least long term. I agree with Buzz that CD is still easily the best for actual listening, while digital is wonderfully convenient. What does vinyl have going for it? That it's the best at taking up space around the home?? It certainly isn't winning in listening quality or cost.
Pressing plants are in full production and everything is on backorder. New plants are being brought online. It will never be what it was, but there's tangible proof that people who grow up on digital music and downloads (they may or may not have payed for) are still enticed by a pretty package and media they can hold in their hands.

This quote right here is also why you have a resurgence in cassettes. The vinyl resurgence is still strong and making bank for pressing plants but it's going to be more sustainable for bigger labels or bands with rabid fanbases as opposed to purely independent bands unless they're willing to spend the money to do it and risk losing their asses and sitting on tons of copies.

As for the Melvins, they're easily one of the smartest touring bands around. While it's uncertain just how long the limited releases keep going they make it work surprisingly well. It helps they have a rabid and loyal fanbase along with selling out venues on a regular basis. At the very least if the limited vinyl fails they can still make a reasonable buck just touring and simply selling shirts if needed.

rimb

All that talk about the vinyl-only stuff being "out there" is garbage, unless you count crappy youtube rips or videos of spinning turntables....

LuckMach3

Quote from: rimb on May 01, 2016, 07:01:46 PM
All that talk about the vinyl-only stuff being "out there" is garbage, unless you count crappy youtube rips or videos of spinning turntables....

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he's talking about.  I guess he's technically right.   I'd still love some official compilation albums though.  The HAT B-Sides were amazing and I've probably listened to that unofficial EP about 100 times.
Buttholeman is a power tripping emotional abuser.  He censors my posts and says I need mental health help.  He's a jerk.  Please don't listen to him.  People DO love and respect your opinions.  I'm one of those people.  I love you. PM me if you're stressed.

Start with the following link if you feel sad: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O3ZQPezglQ

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: LuckMach3 on May 01, 2016, 07:28:48 PM
Quote from: rimb on May 01, 2016, 07:01:46 PM
All that talk about the vinyl-only stuff being "out there" is garbage, unless you count crappy youtube rips or videos of spinning turntables....

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he's talking about.  I guess he's technically right.   I'd still love some official compilation albums though.  The HAT B-Sides were amazing and I've probably listened to that unofficial EP about 100 times.
Clown singles are still tough to find, and even a few of the recent songs are hard to find.
The collection of singles on the Leech bootleg were great- the complaints about 'speed problems' on that are overstated.
I'm surprised the Melvins haven't thrown up a few pay-for-digital downloads on their dotcom site.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!


"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

Dumpster D

Ok guys...Seriously...Not to burst any bubbles but the Revival of Tape and Vinyl is...well if you look at the Graph chart...its *Technically* a resurgence.... I guess... :bs:

see for yourselves:




[attachment deleted by admin]

meezer

That's not really fair though. You had no digital in the 70s. It is going up, that's a resurgence. The problems with manufacturing capabilities now are due to how much of the infrastructure that produced that huge chunk were scrapped after the vinyl era ended.
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

FartLips

I'd like a resurgence of downoloadable melvins content so I can feel like a fan of this band and not a some fucking cash cow.


that should bring out the banning fingers!
Judy is mad.🤣

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: FartLips on May 02, 2016, 10:32:32 AM
I'd like a resurgence of downoloadable melvins content so I can feel like a fan of this band and not a some fucking cash cow.


that should bring out the banning fingers!
That's a good point.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!


"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus