A Walk With Love and Death

Started by Afterbirthmilkshake, April 24, 2017, 06:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

))))((((

Quote from: CoryCory on September 27, 2022, 07:56:33 AM
Gave this another listen and though I like a few songs on both discs, it's a pretty meh listen. Bottom Tier Melvins for sure.
Interesting take. It's definitely not fantastic but i wouldn't say it's terrible either. In fact i find the Death half pretty good on the whole. Although there are a couple of songs i would eliminate. The Love side is a bit like COD to me - i don't really adore it but i am glad of it's existence and listen to them both occasionally. My main gripe is that the two sides were packaged together as a double album. I think they should have been separate releases. I think both would have benefitted greatly from that.

))))((((

Do you guys see this record as ONE album or TWO? I know it was marketed as two separate albums from the band but since it is all packaged together i tend to see it as one thing.

black stallion

Quote from: ))))(((( on October 15, 2022, 05:51:11 AM
Do you guys see this record as ONE album or TWO? I know it was marketed as two separate albums from the band but since it is all packaged together i tend to see it as one thing.

i tend to see it as one too!
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

amazonAMAZON

I don't doubt they're related, but since the soundtrack was packaged separately on vinyl I still think of them as a Melvins songs album and a separate Melvins TG type album.

))))((((

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on October 15, 2022, 03:40:11 PM
I don't doubt they're related, but since the soundtrack was packaged separately on vinyl I still think of them as a Melvins songs album and a separate Melvins TG type album.
The text on the back that reads "two goddamn records! One is a soundtrack!" does make me keep considering it as two albums. Two artistic statements. But then the fact it's all packaged together really throws me off and to be honest still to this day particularly niggles me. I just wish they had been separately released.

the bloat

I think LOVE would be useless as a singular release. Unlike Prick, it's mostly found sound, with nothing much to latch onto. I think Love + Death would have been more interesting had the songs been mixed together into a double albums worth of material. I listen to DEATH a lot, but rarely find a head space where I want to listen to LOVE. I'd appreciate these "noise" songs more if they were intermingled with the more straightforward songs.

You know, kinda like the spirit of Stag where you had tape recorder experiments butted up against hard rockers or pop tunes.

Afterbirthmilkshake

Quote from: the bloat on October 15, 2022, 10:48:24 PM
I think LOVE would be useless as a singular release. Unlike Prick, it's mostly found sound, with nothing much to latch onto. I think Love + Death would have been more interesting had the songs been mixed together into a double albums worth of material. I listen to DEATH a lot, but rarely find a head space where I want to listen to LOVE. I'd appreciate these "noise" songs more if they were intermingled with the more straightforward songs.

You know, kinda like the spirit of Stag where you had tape recorder experiments butted up against hard rockers or pop tunes.
I agree. I never play love. I was completely excited when I heard Black Heath. That album sounds like black velvet to me because of those bass tones. I'm not sure how else to articulate it. Dark and warm?   

black stallion

Quote from: Afterbirthmilkshake on October 20, 2022, 01:56:09 PM
Quote from: the bloat on October 15, 2022, 10:48:24 PM

I agree. I never play love. I was completely excited when I heard Black Heath. That album sounds like black velvet to me because of those bass tones. I'm not sure how else to articulate it. Dark and warm?

ah, so true.love that song! and the bass sounds great
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

))))((((

I have a query! The soundtrack version that came with the Blu-Ray movie, that's JUST the 'Love' album on the vinyl right? Because i've read a few places saying it is Love and Death. I'm assuming it is only one vinyl record on all the variations of this soundtrack release.

https://themelvins.net/wiki/index.php/A_Walk_With_Love_and_Death:_Soundtrack

CoryCory

Quote from: ))))(((( on February 01, 2023, 09:03:30 AM
I have a query! The soundtrack version that came with the Blu-Ray movie, that's JUST the 'Love' album on the vinyl right? Because i've read a few places saying it is Love and Death. I'm assuming it is only one vinyl record on all the variations of this soundtrack release.

https://themelvins.net/wiki/index.php/A_Walk_With_Love_and_Death:_Soundtrack

Isn't the soundtrack version a completely different thing to the double album, though? Or just the LOVE album but with some differences in the song structures.

Gave Love and Death a recent listen. I still think both discs are pretty mid at best.

amazonAMAZON

The "soundtrack" is basically just the audio file from the blu ray. Which means it's all the same songs but in a slightly different order, some starting or stopping more abruptly or crossfading.

You're really not missing anything if you have the AWLAD CD set or double LP. I'm all for edited, continuous mixes. But this one does not in any way come across as superior to the album version. I actually think the sequencing of Death is exquisite.

vince furnier

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on February 01, 2023, 10:28:53 PM
The "soundtrack" is basically just the audio file from the blu ray. Which means it's all the same songs but in a slightly different order, some starting or stopping more abruptly or crossfading.

You're really not missing anything if you have the AWLAD CD set or double LP. I'm all for edited, continuous mixes. But this one does not in any way come across as superior to the album version. I actually think the sequencing of Death is exquisite.
Death is the only Melvins album i ever threw on a tape in the original sequence that i didn't get the overwhelming urge to completely rearrange a lot of the tracks. everything works perfectly where it is. everything serves a purpose. still listening to the same version 6 years later.  :D
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

Colonel Cheese

Death is the only Melvins album i ever threw on a tape in the original sequence that i didn't get the overwhelming urge to completely rearrange a lot of the tracks. everything works perfectly where it is. everything serves a purpose. still listening to the same version 6 years later.  :D
[/quote]

I agree. Death and Bad Mood Rising are fine musical dining for me.

amazonAMAZON

vince furnier

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on February 02, 2023, 05:13:55 PM
I meant LOVE sequencing. Oops.
understood. the other side is just garbage to me. i barely listened once. SORRY/ NOT SORRY!  :lol:
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery