The rumoured History Of Rock project

Started by ))))((((, March 14, 2021, 08:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Garnz

Quote from: kingdiamond on March 17, 2021, 12:39:51 PM
I could do without another covers record but if they're going back and covering songs from every era in rocknroll history that might be interesting as long as they Melvin-iize em. I'd love to hear them take on Lil Richard and Check Berry then move on to the Beatles and Stones then prof rock and 70s hard rock then early punk. That'd pretty much sum up rock n roll up in till they started playing. As far as spanning 4 albums, I'd rather just listen to the original songs and hear some new Melvins. If they throw in some unexpected or obscure covers it might be interesting.

Imo I Want To Hold Your Hand was one of the worst covers the Melvins ever did and I am not sure if this is Steven's influence. Please no more of that.

jules

Personally banking on a 4-LP long version of Dark Star.

Garnz

Quote from: jules on March 17, 2021, 01:25:19 PM
Personally banking on a 4-LP long version of Dark Star.

The song or the album?  :D

))))((((

Quote from: kingdiamond on March 17, 2021, 12:39:51 PM
I'd love to hear them take on Lil Richard and Check Berry then move on to the Beatles and Stones then prof rock and 70s hard rock then early punk. That'd pretty much sum up rock n roll up in till they started playing.
I think in a way it would be really interesting if they redid a classic early Melvins song on this too. Tying the band into the history of rock.


Quote from: backstard on March 17, 2021, 01:36:32 PM
so what is the inside info source you guys are getting this stuff from, or is this all garden variety speculative bullshit?
Well, we are all free to make up or minds one way or the other if we think this is going to happen or not. I added the direct quotations from Steven and Buzz in my first post so take a look. Personally i'd say it's a strong possibility. We just don't know what, how or when yet.

amazonAMAZON

Quote from: Garnz on March 17, 2021, 01:19:26 PMImo I Want To Hold Your Hand was one of the worst covers the Melvins ever did and I am not sure if this is Steven's influence. Please no more of that.


https://youtu.be/CLjV8RHHEnw

Buzz has professed his love for ZZ Top on many occasions. Moving Sidewalks was Gibbons's previous group. That extra slow prechorus bar has Melvins all over it.

Though Steven also claimed some credit in at least one interview for covering a Beatle again.

kingdiamond

They've been playing I Want To Hold Your Hand live since Kevin was on bass. I'm a huge fan of their cover of a cover. I dig Melvins, Moving Sidewalks, and the Beatles though.

))))((((

One thing that i never let go of is this "history of rock" idea that Steven mentioned when talking about Redd Kross' 'Teen Babes From Monsanto'. I've always been surprised nothing has come of it. He mentioned it only once back in November 2016 yet in the near past 9 years nothing. I think now it is unlikely. Buzz has said a few times that he is an "envision and execute" kind of guy. He dreams up a project and does it. 9 years out, it seems like this is a "what might have been". I wonder if Buzz simply decided not to do it or Steven was just joking all along.


"Buzz Osbourne recently asked Jeff and i if we'd take part in a history of rock 'n' roll concept record that he and Dale want to make. So the four of us perhaps will record a history of rock'n'roll as according to the four of us. Maybe it will be the sequel."

moose

I always suspected this is is what they were building upon with the string of guest star releases they did covering Black Sabbath, Neil young, black flag etc. Though that had seemingly nothing to do with Jeff Macdonald so maybe I'm on the wrong track.
Well, we'll always have "In the Air Tonight." Will that be your most enduring song?
You know, that song won't lie down. It just won't go away. I mean, there's a Mike Tyson moment associated with it now. It's just bizarre. I guess it has a bit of mystery, a lot of atmosphere, and the drums coming in, pinning people to the wall.

))))((((

Quote from: moose on April 12, 2025, 12:31:29 PMI always suspected this is is what they were building upon with the string of guest star releases they did covering Black Sabbath, Neil young, black flag etc. Though that had seemingly nothing to do with Jeff Macdonald so maybe I'm on the wrong track.
I thought the same too. Although i wasn't sure if when Steven mentioned "Jeff" whether he meant his brother or Pinkus. Probably his brother though. Maybe one day something will emerge. I mean, the Throbbing Gristle album was recorded long before it was released.