Melvins Ready First-Ever Acoustic Album ‘Five Legged Dog’

Started by rimb, July 21, 2021, 06:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amazonAMAZON

100% disagree Bigval. Melvins albums don't adhere to rock traditions of drumming. The sound he gets in the beginning my invite of this "Night Goat" already makes the song, before the vocals even come in.

BTW it sounds like these three really have something in these vocal arrangements. "Halo of Flies'" and the live stream "Lysol" are the best harmonies we've had since the BB era.

))))((((

YES! YES! YES! Im all over this. ALL over it. I've long wanted them to put out an all acoustic record and this will be top tier stuff right here. Cannot wait. Felt a bit down today but this news has me jumping around quite literally!! The 'Night Goat' preview was epic!!! I love the inclusion of 'Sway' and 'Charlie' too. Hearing that Pinkus sings a song on this i wonder who else beyond the core of the band might appear?

Also i gotta say that new promotional photo of the band there is fantastic. Quite possibly my favourite promo shot they have ever done.

black stallion

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on July 22, 2021, 04:21:17 AM
The sound he gets in the beginning my invite of this "Night Goat" already makes the song, before the vocals even come in.

ah yeah, that sounds great. i wonder when they recorded this album. i wouldn't be surprised if that was done when they released the three acoustic songs on Ampreptile
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

))))((((

Quote from: black stallion on July 22, 2021, 06:55:21 AM
ah yeah, that sounds great. i wonder when they recorded this album. i wouldn't be surprised if that was done when they released the three acoustic songs on Ampreptile
In the Rolling Stone interview Buzz said it was done during the pandemic.

))))((((

Just thinking about the Melvins albums that are not represented with acoustic versions here - i would have liked to have had a couple of HAT tracks included. Something from The Maggot also. Im slightly surprised there are so many of the "famous" tracks from the Atlantic era. It almost makes this release feel like a bit of a "best of" or career highlights compilation. Something for a new fan to investigate.

glen

let me be the first to say that I have been somewhat judgmental of the Steven era of MELVINS.  it hasn't been my favorite.   

but that bass sound on that version of Night Goat... whoa momma.

"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

dead mike

Quote35. Civilized Worm ((A) Senile Animal)
They should make this the secret, hidden track just to piss us off.
Can you all shut your damn cocks for one second? Music is the only thing that's real in this queef world of dildo ass chodes.

- hemispheres

glen

Quote from: dead mike on July 22, 2021, 08:14:10 AM
Quote35. Civilized Worm ((A) Senile Animal)
They should make this the secret, hidden track just to piss us off.

or...  OR!!!   a secret track..  THAT ISN'T EVEN THERE.   :shock:
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

Helen83

Mount Ambulance

It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

))))((((

Quote from: Bigval on July 22, 2021, 01:13:21 AM
I would've preferred this done solo by Buzz like his first solo album which was great, I didn't like his second solo album with all the added stuff.
I thought it seemed a little odd at first but personally, now i love it. I think both Buzzo's solo records are some of the strongest material he has put out in years. Im looking forward to more from him whatever form it arrives in.

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on July 22, 2021, 04:21:17 AM
Melvins albums don't adhere to rock traditions of drumming. The sound he gets in the beginning my invite of this "Night Goat" already makes the song, before the vocals even come in.
Yep. I really loved the version of Dark Brown Teeth they put out a few years ago with Dale on drums too. That was great i thought and im slightly sad it's not on this new record.

Quote from: glen on July 22, 2021, 07:59:31 AM
let me be the first to say that I have been somewhat judgmental of the Steven era of MELVINS.  it hasn't been my favorite.   

but that bass sound on that version of Night Goat... whoa momma.
Same here. But on old Melvins songs i think he will be absolutely fine. I don't mind Steve im just not much for his more upbeat, poppy song writing and singing voice.

dirtmerchant

Quote from: Bigval on July 22, 2021, 01:13:21 AM
Quote from: black stallion on July 22, 2021, 01:03:31 AM
Night Goat sounds pretty good. is Dale playing the cocktail kit?

No sounds like a full drum kit to my ears, oddly enough.

To me acoustic guitar & bass doesn't sit well with drums I would've preferred this done solo by Buzz like his first solo album which was great, I didn't like his second solo album with all the added stuff.

Sounds like the same drum sounds from a walk with love and death.  At the very least the same snare.

jules

Hope Ipecac have done their homework on this. That's a lot of tracks to get in the right order.

deatheats

Quote from: dirtmerchant on July 21, 2021, 11:03:25 PM
Bandcamp shipping $7
Blixt shipping $18 😐

Yeah, plus with the Bandcamp purchase you'll get the album in FLAC & other lossless formats.  Love me some Melvins on Bandcamp!